I need a 1000 calorie, low carb (under 10g) dinner on the go

Options
carolann_22
carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
Any suggestions? I have pretty much every fast food restaurant imaginable (and many major grocery stores) around on my way to class, so I'm open to any suggestions. I won't be home until after 10pm and I need to eat something.

Replies

• vonnywaft
    Options
    In an "emergency" ;-) I'll often get Chicken McNuggets and a diet drink and kid myself that's OK. The healthier choice would be to pop into a supermarket and pick up a ready made salad but I always find they're full of pasta so you have to be careful - or in the past I've gone into a supermarket and bought a pack of cooked meat, like ham or chicken and a pack of cherry tomatoes to keep me going. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.
  • lizzybethanne
    lizzybethanne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i was thinking maybe pack a meal---i always have string cheese; salami; nuts, pepperoni or deli meat and I always have atkins shakes--all you just need a a big ol' cup of ice---these are my go to when I am on the run. Of course-- you can always get a bacon cheese burger w/ no bun or a grilled chicken---or another resturant I like is Wingstop!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    An Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter bar (240 cals, 2 carbs) and 2 Burger King Double Cheeseburgers with bacon and no bun (740 cals, 8 carbs).
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    An Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter bar (240 cals, 2 carbs) and 2 Burger King Double Cheeseburgers with bacon and no bun (740 cals, 8 carbs).

Lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions? I have pretty much every fast food restaurant imaginable (and many major grocery stores) around on my way to class, so I'm open to any suggestions. I won't be home until after 10pm and I need to eat something.

Definitely consider being better about meal planning ahead that way when you get home at 10pm, you will be better prepared. Consider the day you go grocery shopping to be the day you do some food prep-work, cook some meals ahead of time and freeze them individually... that way you just have to reheat them as you need them.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Lol

LOL what? That's 1000 cals and 10 carbs. It's what the OP was asking for. Are they supposed to eat 1000 cals of salad?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I would make a 'snack box' and keep it in the fridge, that way you can pick it up & take it with you. here are some ideas as to what you can put in it (in any combo)

- Cooked chicken pieces (thighs, wings, legs)
    - feta cheese cubes
    - olives
    - hard boiled eggs
    - Tuna patties (tune, cream cheese, herbs & an egg shaped into patties & fried)
    - Bell pepper strips
    - cucumber sticks
    - Cheese (string cheese, sliced cheese)
    - salad leaves
    - sausage
    - meatballs
    - Avocado

or make a low carb soup, and put it in a thermos.

My Favourite is cauliflower cheese soup (will make 4 decent portions)

1 head cauliflower
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    veg/chicken stock/broth
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt & pepper
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    mature/sharp cheddar cheese (not sure exactly how much- about 2 handfuls!)
    crispy bacon bits (optional but yummy)
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mock Chicken Fettucini

-1-2 boneless chicken breasts
    -grounded pork rinds
    -1 egg
    -1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    -1-2 tbsp butter
    -garlic powder
    -salt
    -pepper
    -1-2 servings mozzarella cheese

Beat 1 egg in a bowl. Coat the two boneless chicken breasts with the egg. Toss on the grounded pork rinds (mix in flavors if desired) and bake in the oven until finished. While that's cooking, on the stove top add 1/2-1/4 cup heavy whipping cream to a boil. Add in 1-2 tbsp of butter. Add pepper and garlic powder to flavor. Gently whisk in 1-2 servings mozzarella cheese. When chicken is done, top with the mock fettuccine. If you want to throw in any vegetables, this would be a good time to.

This is very delicious! I just happened to accidentally make this recipe one day. I do have to say that the fettuccine should be eaten in one sitting as it doesn't save well in the fridge. It becomes oily or buttery on top. I did try it the next day and it was fine but I preferred the consistency when it's finished. I've also seasoned the pork rinds with Mrs. Dash italian medley and it comes out tasting great! Cauliflower potatoes might be good with this.
  • chrisil25
    Options
    The other day I was out and was super hungry, I got a chicken select sandwich from Burger King and threw out the bun, It was a huge chicken breast and it was really good. It's not 1000 cal but it's a good option
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    My worry is,if I was that hungry I'd end up eating the bun too!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    1000 calories? and still under 10g of carbs?

that could be tough!

on the go, swiss chalet garden salad with basamic vinegrette on the side and chicken breast is my go-to going out meal. (don't eat the skin if you are trying to keep the fat down too. if not, eat it, cuz it's maaaaaaahhhhvelous.
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    I just realised you said a 1000 cal meal - that's a big meal! I probably don't get through many more cals than that in a whole day, never mind in a single meal. If I had that many cals to spare I'd prob go for a large portion of Indian food in a creamy sauce without rice or breads - mmmm Heaven!