locker rooms

Options
13»

Replies

• dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if I'm looking at you, I'm probably checking you out. :laugh: But I understand some people don't want to be checked out like that, so I'm just going to keep my eyes to myself now. :sad:

Right... I'll just be more subtle now. Now whattttttttttt. :wink:

j/k. I really will try to stop checking people out.

Just in locker rooms, right? XD

this made me laugh.

But seriously, as long as you're not being obvious or creepy, EVERYONE at least glances over. Its not even really a sexual thing. You just gotta look. And in my case be like "my boobs are the best in this room *fist pump*" because its the small victories in life that matter.

So we just recently joined a gym and it is odd when people change right out in the open when there are dressing areas... but whatever! I keep to myself - but our aerobics instructor was asking us (in the locker room) how we liked the class and while we were talking, she just stripped down - awkward! How can you not look when you have it staring you in the face... I did not need to see that! Have a little modesty! I guess it would not have been so bad if she had a rockin' bod - but no! not that lucky...
  • roamingstudent
    Options
    I usually tend to find it funny when someone thinks I'm a male, but I definitely understand where some people would be deeply offended. I don't know if there's really a graceful save on this one; it's just plain awkward for both people involved.

My advice would be to try not to make too big a deal of it. When my hair was a lot shorter, a lady called me 'sir,' apologized about five times when she realized her mistake, and then started ranting at me about how I should dress more like a girl and stop wearing hats because it confused people. I wasn't embarrassed, I was just pissed off that she was causing a scene.

I try to not make a big deal out of it, so at least I'm doing something right! I certainly wouldn't tell you what not to wear. I'll leave that for Gok Wan! :laugh:
  • roamingstudent
    Options
    From a pre-op perspective, I don't know that I am offended if someone uses the wrong pronoun accidentally, just disappointed. But I know the limitations of how well I pass. When people use the right pronoun I hear it every time and it can brighten the darkest night. Just do your best, be respectful, apologize simply and without much fuss if you get it wrong. That's the best you can do. :smile:

It's even harder to get names and pronouns right when someone you know transitions since you have a history with the prior gender. A person I have known for years is transitioning now. I sometimes struggle to get it right and I'm trans too. The experience has taught me to be patient with others.

Although I'm an out gay man, I don't know any Pre/Post-op TS/TG, Cross Dressers etc etc and now I come to think about it I don't know how to address people who aren't blatently trying to be perceived as an alternative gender. If they're androgynous I'd probably just say "Thank you"...

Would you be bothered if I didn't refer to you as a gender? Any advice on what I should say?! :smile: thanks! x
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine with me to do away with sir or miss. Although, like I said, getting called 'Miss' totally makes my day. But with me you'd never be confused about which gender I'm going for. I don't do androgynous. Not that I have a problem with others looking androgynous, but it just doesn't fit me.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Would you be bothered if I didn't refer to you as a gender? Any advice on what I should say?! :smile: thanks! x

I never really grew up saying "sir" or "ma'am" anyway. I'd address people by their names, when I knew it, but then people get offended, if you butcher their name, too.... :blushing: Other than that, I usually said, hey, hi, thank you, you're welcome, etc..., looking into their eyes while doing so.
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I will admit to checking eveyone out. LOL

thank GOD i'm not the only one who does this...and the girlies just get naked even though there's dressing rooms...hellooo boobies!

I think I need to go to the locker rooms YOU are going too because the ladies that walk around naked aren't anything I want to check out at MY gym! LOL

Come to the campus gym. :)

O-Yeah gotta love the pool locker room!! :wink:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The english language is sucky wiht its need for gendered greetings, pronouns everywhere, etc. It can't really be helped - I think very few people get offended as they are generally understanding of this kind of thing. In some ways its worse if you make a big deal out of it (like someone called my friend sir once which we all just thought was funny but he was soooo embarrassed and apologized etc etc. That was WAY more awkward than if he'd just let it lie).