What kind of hospital do you work for?

Options
Cait_Sidhe
Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
I work for a very busy 26 doctor practice that is a regular day clinic during the day and is a emergency hospital at night (small animal). I was recently promoted to Emergency Technician Supervisor. We have everything overnight, from medical boarders and post op spays to hemoabdomens and HBC's. I love emergency because there's always something new to learn.

I also work part time during the day on weekends at another emergency hospital.

Replies

• Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Holy tits - 26 of them?!

I work part-time for a lil' ol' semi-rural, small and large animal clinic. There are two full-time vets, but one (the boss) is generally out on farm calls all day and I rarely see her unless she needs me for a particularly trying call. We also get a locum in most Fridays. There is one other nurse and two receptionists, who are certifiably insane and I love them.

I sometimes get frustrated by the fact that it is such a small town and clinic. We don't have fancy gadgets, AT ALL. Even most of the basic gadgets. But then I realize that I effing love my clinic. My coworkers are nice to me, largely because I am the baby. The place is full of kind-of matronly ladies. They are very patient with me. They don't get mad at me pretty much ever. I don't generally get mad at them and they're very rarely dumbasses, which is nice. I like most of our clients and get to know them very well, since it is a relatively small population.

So yeah, small-town clinic full of largely nice small-town folk. It's pretty okay. I am looking for a full-time job probably in a more populated area, though. I suspect I would miss them terribly.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It's always nice when people are rarely dumbasses. I've never worked with large animals. One practice I used to work for had some farm animals that just lived on the property. Once I had to go out into the field and rescue the goat that the sheep used to beat up on. There was a horse who didn't want me to close the gate, she kept nudging me with her nose which would almost knock me over everytime. It was like being nudged by a dinosaur! So large!
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i work for a very small one doctor practice, (dogs and cats only). its like me , the 'other' girl and the doc, and sometimes her partner, who is also an icu nurse at the Mayo.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I work for a small animal practice, one full time and two part time veterinarians. I'm head technician, and also the only licensed person in the place besides the docs. I spend most of my time in the surgery room.......that's how I like it :drinker:

My heart lies with exotics....I worked in an exotic practice for years then I had to move :frown:
  • tanikarvt
    tanikarvt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work in a 4 doctor, dog and cat practice. There are 2 more RVT's in addition to me. I work surgery in the morning and exams in the afternoon. Although I'm working small animal now, I grew up a farm girl and all through Tech school saw myself working large or mixed animal. But with the economy the way it is, I don't complain when I'm offered a good job.
  • SarahE1092
    Options
    Finally found some fellow vet techs!!!!
    I work at a specialty practice. I work at a dental and oral surgery practice with one doctor. I am the only LVT there, we are super tiny and work on referrals alone. I love what I do, the surgery and the satisfaction of a clean mouth.
    I have worked in a Feline only hospital for 4 years before the specialty practice. Just graduated from tech school 2 years ago.
  • MonicaH0322
    MonicaH0322 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow 26 doctors...
    I'm working at a fairly new/small clinic with only two doctors and a relatively small fulltime staff team. It's quite lovely though as everyone is friendly and we all get along fantastically! We deal mainly with cats and dogs, but we also have a pretty large :pocket pet"patient list which adds some variety to my days! In the past I was at a clinic that covered just about everything including wildlife rehabilitation, reptiles, and cared for the animals at the local zoo. The only thing I haven't really had working clinical experience with are large animals, but maybe that'll come one day :)
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    I work for a very busy 26 doctor practice that is a regular day clinic during the day and is a emergency hospital at night (small animal). I was recently promoted to Emergency Technician Supervisor. We have everything overnight, from medical boarders and post op spays to hemoabdomens and HBC's. I love emergency because there's always something new to learn.

I also work part time during the day on weekends at another emergency hospital.

I used to work at a place exactly like that. I LOVED IT! Unfortunately the day staff at this particular clinic made it hell for me everyday. Now I work at a hospital that is strictly emergency and I work by myself at night. Some nights are crazy but very few. I miss the old place but the people here are so much nicer.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First I feel the need to say that I'm SO EXCITED that this group exists :D:D:D

26 vets?!!?! Holy crap. I thought my first practice with 7 was huge o_O

I currently work at a 3 doctor oncology practice (one surgeon, one oncologist and one oncology resident). I spent the first 5 years of my career at a large local humane society.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    ... The only thing I haven't really had working clinical experience with are large animals, but maybe that'll come one day :)

LOL... I love that you say you've never worked with large animals, yet your photo is with elephants (seriously dangerous, btw! Did they actually train you for that or just throw you in??). Good thing you're posting in a vet group or no one would get it. :smile:
    First I feel the need to say that I'm SO EXCITED that this group exists :D:D:D

Ditto!

I am the 5th vet in a 5-doctor, soon to be 6-doctor practice. I'm the new kid on the block - just hired last August after a couple years practicing all by myself straight out of school (God bless the Banfield idiots) and the youngest by about 20 years. The owner graduated before I was born, and hasn't changed his methods since I graduated 8th grade. The next-youngest doctor, though, picked veterinary medicine as her second career so she only graduated maybe 6 years ahead of me. And the new hire is a brand new grad. I'll have a friend!

All this makes for an interesting place to work. We are 95% dog & cat but myself and Penny will see pocket pets, I'll see reptiles and do basic bird maintenance, and we have the occasional goat appear. There's no telling what the owner still takes care of when he's not in the hospital. The staff is mostly young - almost everyone is under 30, and lots under 25. We have half our techs leaving for vet school in the fall, so spread the word if you know anyone looking in the Knoxville, TN area. I love it there. Less than a year after joining, I plan to buy in when the opportunity presents itself.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I work at a 24 hour clinic. The day practice has 4 doctors, and emergency practice has 3. I only work emergency, and can't imagine ever going back to routine care. One of the emergency doctors is a CVA, so getting to see acupuncture done is pretty cool. She also practices Eastern medicine, which is fun too. I only take my animals to her for anything they need. One is currently using Eastern medications for his overhyped system.
  • zophiel67
    Options
    I work at a 24 hour clinic. The day practice has 4 doctors, and emergency practice has 3. I only work emergency, and can't imagine ever going back to routine care. One of the emergency doctors is a CVA, so getting to see acupuncture done is pretty cool. She also practices Eastern medicine, which is fun too. I only take my animals to her for anything they need. One is currently using Eastern medications for his overhyped system.

Hey, where did your vet go? I'm interested in learning but haven't decided where or when...
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hey, where did your vet go? I'm interested in learning but haven't decided where or when...

I know she did something in Cuba when she began her acupuncture training. We work together tonight, so I'll ask and get back to you.
  • zophiel67
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks!
  • becfrogs
    becfrogs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am the Nurse Supervisor for a soon to be (next month) 4 doctor practice. We are a small animal practice that treats dogs, cats, caged birds, small mammals, and exotics. My passion is avian and reptile medicine and I am blessed to work for such a progressive clinic. The clinic owner has treated birds for 30 years so we are one of the top avian choices in Tx. Our most recent addition to our services is cold laser therapy which I absolutely love. We are now seeing alot of referrals for cold laser and our practice is growing every day.

So glad there's a veterinary related forum on MFP!
  • Lizzymaep
    Lizzymaep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Originally, when I started in this field, I worked for an Emergency and Regular Walk-In facility, then I started working at a Emergency and Specialty Center... now after 6 years in the field, I'm currently at a regular practice that accepts Emergencies and Walk-ins (but that mostly just runs as a scheduled appt type clinic). <3
  • prouge5
    Options
    I recently joined MFP online instead of mobile app and loved finding this group, although just like at work I may be in the minority and be the only male. I work for a 5 full time, 1 part time vet practice that does sx 4 days a week, appointments and walk-ins/emergencies 7 days a week. I thought that was bad, but after seeing 26 vets I don't think I have any room to complain. lol
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I work overnights at a university teaching hospital ER, wards, ICU.
  • barnunn
    barnunn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am the Large Animal Technical Supervisor at Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital. We have approx 50 doctors covering all the different aspects of Large Animal Veterinary Medicine. I loooooovveee working with the vet students. We have the best ones, I am sure of it!
  • jadenfox
    jadenfox Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am an lvt in MI, and work for a 9 doctor animal hospital, we are about 60% exotics and 40% dogs/cats. I love it. We are busy and see it all!. Glad to have found this group!