Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What type of nursing do you do?

Replies

• SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    I am a Stem Cell Transplant nurse. I work 12 hr shifts- 7p to 7a.

I also commute from far away to where I work . So I sleep in my car during the day, then go to work for a 12 hr night shift. I do this for my stretch of shifts then go home again. It works for me.
  • I'm a CNA currently working in in-home care with a quad. I work 9am-1pm weekdays (no weekends!), which works out perfectly for me, as I have a daughter who goes to school at 8:30 and gets home at 3. I love my shift, my patient and I get along really well, and I get along great with the nurses I work with as well. (My patient has 24-hour RN/LPN care in addition to the 4 hours of CNA coverage he gets daily.) I am finishing up my last couple of prereqs for nursing school and planning to start in either April (spring quarter) or September (fall quarter) this year. I have worked night shift before and it did not work well with my body, so I'm hoping not to have to do that ever again, but I know that's a tough thing for a new nurse...
  • LPN night shift on detox!
  • Dtough
    Dtough Posts: 70 Member
    Hi! Im a pediatric nurse. I'm doing a few travel assignments at the moment! I would really love to move over into L&D if I could just find an opening!
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    L&D RN
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    I am a 3rd Year Paediatric Student Nurse in the UK. Hoping to find a ward job come October x
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    I'm an ICU nurse working 7p to 7a. I like my job but even after 4 years my body has not fully adjusted to working nights. I'm going to CRNA school this coming May. I don't plan on working while I'm in school. I'm super excited to be a student and have a normal sleep schedule again after all these years! Grad school will be super intense, I hope I can find time to exercise in between my hectic schedule.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    I started working on the Cardiology floor and have been cross trained to our ER for the last 1 1/2 years and LOVE IT!!! My wife is also a nurse on the med/ surg/ renal/ dialysis floor. Same hospital, different floors.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life...
  • WinterB2003
    WinterB2003 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm a LPN who currently does Home Health for 2 patients.....I make my own shift Mon-Fri
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    I am a retired nurse, only because I was injured, and had to have 13 surgeries, which took over 2 years to heal. I wasn't thinking AT ALL about doing my CEU's while I was healing, plus, I spent over 7 months total in-patient. So, when the time came to reup, I didn't have the credits, CEU wise, and couldn't bring myself to LIE on the application, saying I had them. So, I let it slide. But, I am calling tomorrow to see if I can do my CEU's and get my license back.

By the way, MED/Surg.
  • I work on an orthopedic/med/surg floor, 12 hour night shifts. Thinking about switching to home health. I've worked nights for 12 years and I think it's taking a toll on my health.. physically and mentally!
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 118 Member
    When I was working I did LTC with geriatric patients specializing in Alzheimer's, dementia, and psych. Also did a couple days on our rehab floor for post ops and such. I've been a stay at home mom for the past 2 yrs :-)
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    I am an LPN and work in LTC. I was a CNA in the nursing home first, and have now gotten my LPN. I am working on my RN, not sure where I will go from there, not a lot of options as I am in a rural area! I really do love my old folks though! :smile:
  • started off in CCU for 9 years then ER for another 9, now doing clinic nursing, hours are good but miss the adrenaline rush!
  • josiebees
    josiebees Posts: 5 Member
    Psychiatric nurse working in the community :)
  • Med/Surg (mostly Surg) for the last 4 years. I work 7A-7P, and I love it!:smile:
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Recently took a job as a telephone case manager, prior to that I worked L&D and med/surg.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    started off in CCU for 9 years then ER for another 9, now doing clinic nursing, hours are good but miss the adrenaline rush!

This is exactly what I am afraid of! I want to go to grad school but think I will be bored doing anything else but ICU work.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Hi : ) I work in the ICU/CCU. 12 hours. 3p-3a.
    That shift sounds better than 7p-7a need to talk my manager into it.

My ideal shift too! I used to love this shift but have not worked anywhere that has offered it in years. I do better with those hours!

The 4 hours makes a huge difference for me! When I was young I could go until 7pm no problem... then I had a kid who is on a "normal" schedule. It was not pretty when I was at home but then I changed to 3-3 and it made a HUGE difference. I still, for the life of me don't understand how people can work the opposite though 3a-3p (yuck)! lol
  • ICU/CCU, cardio and teaching clinicals to prospective LPNs!