Over Eaters Anonymous?

Options
Has anyone here ever attend these meetings? I'm seeing two meetings here in my own city..and am giving it some serious thought.

Replies

• greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes, I attended OA meetings for a few years. They can be helpful but it is a big lifestyle change, which is good I guess since weight loss should be a lifestyle change and not a diet...but for me, I was so strict and it became my whole life and I decided I didn't want to live like that anymore.

Some people love it, some don't. Try it - can't hurt! Good luck! :smile:
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I haven't - but I've been thinking about it. But, then I get scared. lol

Let me know if you try it - and what you think! :)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    they say there are online ones but i've tried to log onto those and it's difficult to get on for some reason.
  • greekygirl
    Options
    You don't need to be scared. I went for years. Nothing scary about it. If you don't like it, you don't have go again.

Also, every meeting is different - if you don't like one, try a different one. That is, if you're thinking about going.

They say if you think you need to go, you probably do. :ohwell:

Totally up to you though. It's a personal decision.
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be scared. I went for years. Nothing scary about it. If you don't like it, you don't have go again.

The scary part, to me, is in telling people that I have a problem. I don't admit my issues to many (IRL, where I have to SEE them) :/ Which could be why I still have issues. lol
  • arielaliza
    arielaliza Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have thought of this as well. Do you know if they are affiliated with religious beliefs? Their 12 step program seems to be God centered. Am I understanding this correctly?
  • greekygirl
    Options
    Yes and no. They believe in a "power greater than ourselves" and whether you want to call it God or not is up to you. But if you are easily offended by people talking about God or don't want any part of that, it may not be the right place for you because many people do choose to believe in God and talk about it.

I have found there are other alternatives to recovering from this besides 12-step programs if you decide you don't want to go that route. After about 6-8 years in OA and other groups, I decided I didn't want to do it anymore and have found other things to help me with my food problems. The main principle of those programs is the support of "one addict helping another" and I can get that right here!

It can't hurt to go once to see if you think it would be helpful. It was helpful to me for quite a few years.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,839 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER EVER go to a live meeting. LOL. I am getting my support right here from everyone. I have found that I AM NOT ALONE. I have found I can share thoughts and issues here which have been bothering me since I was a teen. And surprise, surprise, it turns out there are a lot of us going through the exact same thing.

We can learn from each other.

Support each other

Check on each other

Cry on each other's shoulders

Help each other up when we stumble.

If others are like me, binging is really personal. When it happens, no phone call, or running away or talking to anyone will really help at the time.

SS
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i can see how it might be helpful for some people. sounds like is religion based a little bit so that might be good if you're into that. but i agree that some people find support on here. i was wanting to give it a try. i bought one of the daily reflection books on amazon from overeaters anonymous and it is very helpful really.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a little memo sitting next to my computer with name/location/time/and contact info but that is as far as I got. I think it will be beneficial for me to go on a personal level as well as for my future career!! The steps are bases on the AA and Al-anon mentality, which I have both attended before for my own help, with an ex-husband alcoholic, and current recovering alcoholic husband the support was an eye opener. It is based on the spirituality side more so then religious. I think it is worth checking into but you need to at least go to 2 before deciding it doesn't work for you. Good luck and Summer is right I have felt so much encouragement just having friends on here that have made me want to succeed, anyone else that wants to add me go right ahead, maybe we can check the oa out together......different towns I am assuming, mine are wednesday nights at 6:30 AZ time.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, I attended OA meetings for a few years. They can be helpful but it is a big lifestyle change, which is good I guess since weight loss should be a lifestyle change and not a diet...but for me, I was so strict and it became my whole life and I decided I didn't want to live like that anymore.

Some people love it, some don't. Try it - can't hurt! Good luck! :smile:

How wonderful that is very encouraging indeed!!!