Welcome ~ Please Intro.

Options

Replies

• LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi My Name is Leann Diagnosed 9 years ago during pregnancy. Happy to report I am well with in normal range my A1C is a 5.6 and I have lost 60lbs over the last year or so. I have read about looked up and tried almost everything that is out there so i'm looking for a way to share this knowledge with others. It doesn't have to be hard it can be easy with the right tools and know how.

Please feel free to friend me. :happy:
  • Pauline745
    Pauline745 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jackie and Leann! :smile: I have sent you both a Friend request. :smile:

Pauline :flowerforyou:
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to myfitnesspal and this group. I'm a mom of 3 and I found
    out I had Diabetes 2 about 3 years ago. I have a goal of 30lbs. to lose and I've
    started exercising again by joining martial arts and I love it.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Emma I've been type 2 for nearly 5 years now. Finally on the right track with the byetta injection and metformin. Lots to lose but lost 11llb so far
  • aulove
    aulove Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Amy, and I was diagnosed T2 in June 2008. I've been surrounded by diabetes all my life w/ various family members, including my mother. I think my mother took my diagnosis much harder than me. Luckily, I have been able to manage my diabetes with diet and exercise. The first couple years I made a few changes to my diet but didn't really make much of an effort to totally transform my lifestyle. Like several of you, I'm also hypothyroid, so in addition to fatigue I also had this hang up that it would be nearly impossible for me to lose weight.

Last year I decided to join Weight Watchers and had some success. I lost 40 lbs last year and got myself moving w/ exercise. My last A1C was 5.6, so I'm motivated to lose more weight and hopefully improve my levels even more. So here I am. New to MFP and hoping to kick some diabetes booty.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi im Maureen I was just diagnosed in January and I was angry very angry. I had been hospitalized and they told me in the hospital my levels were enough that I was in fact diabetic. My doctor had already suspected that I was. On January 3rd I took the aci test it came back an 11.When I was in the hospital I could n ot eat for 2 days. When I went to doctor on Jan 3rd I was 299 lbs. When I went on Jan 31 I was 284.right now I’m at 279. I found this website the end of January and I love it . I have changed a lot of things and the way I eat now. Not much butter, and oils like I used to use. I still need a sweet once in a while Mild chocolate addiction but instead of a candy bar I buy 100 calorie packs to get my choc fix. I think a lot of my worst habits were condiments, mayo, butter, and gravy. I drink lots more water now and only an occasional sprite zero. I really don’t miss my Pepsi which I drank about 3 a day. My b iggest problem is eating out . We always ate out a lot. Im trying to make better choices so maybe one day I won’t need meds. I was told it was weight related. When I was in the hospital they thought I had pancreatitis. All test that I had done showed it was working fine. Im 52 years old I have 2 children 22 and 18. My daughter lives with me and she uses mfp also. I liked to cook and eating out I created a mini me I suppose. I have not been skinny since I was 10 yrs. old . I don’t want to be skinny, just healthy. I also have problems in my back and just walking hurts a lot. I can no longer work because of it. So exercise is not in my plan. I do move around a lot still but have lots of moments when I have to sit down, I feel as long as I can continue to lose even a pound at a time I’m not going up. I’m not going to deny myself everything , I think that’s a recipe for failure. I know its a lot about portions and choices. Before I ate what I wanted when I wanted that awarded me with 65 xtra pounds than where I been pretty much the last few years. Being home and not working made a dramatic difference. So glad I could say my lil piece and add me if you like I only have my daughter as a friend right now.

Now if only I could quit smoking…….

Take care
    maureen
  • nanasfaith
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Debbie. I am 50 years old, wife of 33 years to a husband diagnosed with sever COPD and on oxygen, mother of four (33,31,28, 26), grandmother to 15. Six steps and 9natural born (22,20,19,18,13,12,11,10, 9,5,5,4,4,4,1), and great grandmother of 4 (4,2,1,nb). I care for my mother who is alone and 89 who has skin cancer and starting to become a demintia patient.

I have type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed in November of 2011 with an A1C of 6.6.
    I also suffer from hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, low HDL, arthritis, low vitamin D levels, COPD, and a weight-in at 330 pounds at 5'-5"......and probably dealing with a little depression as well

In other words I'm a mess and trying to get myself back in line and back on track.
    I have a bad weakness for late night snacking and don't even realize I have or shouldn't have until the damage is done.

If you think you have ROOM for me and all my baggage, I would like to join you here and learn more about my diabetes and how to manage it correctly.....
  • inscrutable
    inscrutable Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a 62 year old female recently diagnosed with a1c of 10. Luckily I stumbled onto mfp the next day. Started tracking bg and diet immediately and after three weeks pleased to say I have lost weight started exercising and feel so much better already. I am on metformin 850mg once a day and 22 lbs later my fasting sugar dropped from 212 to 120.

I am unsure about advice I got from nurse as she said to forget calories and eat 225 carbs a day but choosing healthy foods by comparing fats and other nutrients with invaluable help of mfp I find I average 174 carbs a day and around 1100 calories a day. This seems good to me and I plan to do it till I see her again in approximately 2 months. She also scared me to death about side effective of metformin but aside from gas (which could be from all the unaccustomed veggies ) there around no problems.

The portion size is tiny compared to what I used to eat but when I get hungry it's always close to snack time anyhow. 3 meals 3 snacks per day. I know this will be for life or slightly higher as maintenance plan and feel I can do this with help of kindred souls and mfp which makes it like a puzzle game to plug in the right foods. If food counts are too high I erase them and find another that works better. For Valentine's we went out to eat and I chose a healthy dish I would never have even tried before and it was delicious but I only ate half.

I have a lot to lose for health reasons and also because I am tired of having to judge it I can fit past someone in theatre or restaurant. I hope we all have great success. I love reading your posts, write more.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Many nutritionists will give you a goal of 150 grams of carbs per day - which is still way to high for a diabetic. When I was first diagnosed I was told this and felt pretty good with that as a goal. I have learned more since and now have a goal of a maximum of 120. Many people have goals much lower, but I have not been able to get there. In my opinion, you should shoot for 40% of your calories coming from carbs, 30 from fats, and 30 from protein. Again just my opinion. Would love to hear how others break down thier daily calories.
  • inscrutable
    Options
    I've been wondering about the Carb number. The nurse was even heavier than me and is diabetic herself so I thought she might be overly generous with the carbs but she said it was important to eat them. And nevermind fat or calories. I thought weight was ALSO important so I track calories and eat less carbs than she said but we will see when I go back next time. I have not seen doctor, she only called me to give diagnosis and said come in and see nurse so I. Have had no other instruction on diabetes. Other than what I read online and in books. I feel like I am on the right track. At least I. HOPE so.
  • mrbluesky1939
    mrbluesky1939 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a 72 year old male. Type 2 since 1989. Since joining MFP, January 2, 2012, I've lost 16 pounds. I've also had to reduce my insulin by about half in order to keep my numbers from being too low. I use the treadmill 4 to 5 days a week, 30 to 45 minutes at a time. I feel better every day. Myfitnesspal to me is the greatest thing since sliced bread. (Whole wheat that is.) As an added bonus my blood pressure has dropped 30+ points. :wink:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    hello, snake and inscrutable...
    doing great there snake. keep up the good work. it does get better when you start losing that weight. i know my doctor was a little upset when he HAD to take me off the BP meds. he said it really helps to protect the kidneys. but, mine went too low. i was almost passing out. so he had to take me off them.
    inscrutable....your doctors office should have a class somewhere they can send you to. i think it's important to go to a class. some are free and some insurance will pay for. a local hospital should have one. for me it's carb count all the way. she gives me my guide lines for calorie counting and that. but, everyone is so different. it's just a matter of taking the weigh off.

have a great day everyone
  • inscrutable
    Options
    Hi chipper. I am impressed with your loss. Good for you literally. I am a veteran and get care thru VA. In my opinion it is pretty spotty like they give you fifty strips for ninety days. They also didn't test me for two tears even though I was diagnosed prediabetic fourteen years ago, have a family history and they knew it. I always fasted before blood testing and she just would say all your labs look good so I never worried about it. When I finally asked about it she said oh ok we will do one in three months and then called me and told me in a phone call. She said you will have to come in at some point to get a meter very casually, no hurry right? I made an appointment to see the nurse who is really just an assistant I believe and she gave me brief instructions. Since my ac1 was 10 I figured I better get right on it. I have no insurance. And can't afford any better care so I. Will have to make do for two years till I get on Medicare.

I also had what I know now are some of the classic symptom of diabetes but she always blew them off so I thought I was crazy. Like the bathroom trips every two hours at night she said well when you wake up you just get up and go to the bathroom, having to go is not what wakes you up, it's the other way around. Now I. Am trying to read everything I can to educate myself. Live and learn huh? Both the Dr and her assistant are quite large themselves. Her assistant IS diabetic and I suspect so is Dr.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    inscrutable....thank you for your service. my DH is seen at VA for his hearing. totally a different experience at our VA. but, there are some like yours out there unfortunately. i would either check with some hospitals in your area to see if they offer free classes or maybe even the VA knows where to go to a class. maybe a civic center. sometimes mine here offers them. i know the meter you have. i got mine through the navy hospital. they only carry one kind. i go to class through them. you might try a military hospital near you. i take it you don't have tricare either.
    i sent a friend request to you.
    talk to you soon.
  • teacup8285
    Options
    Hi, my name is Cheryl , I am 51 and live in Arkansas. I was diagnosed last Feb (almost exactly a year ago)with type two diabetes.(along with high bp and high cholesterol) I take Metformin twice a day and Junuvia once a day. My sugars were high, but once I started exercising, and watching my foods (mostly serving sizes) they started getting under control. Now a year later I have lost 67 pounds,my sugars are pretty much normal. I exercise 5 times week walking 4-5 miles a day. I do the treadmill, but have started the elliptical machine this week for some new workouts. (I was in a bad car accident a few years ago so it limits the scope of what I can do.). I went shopping yesterday and found I had dropped 4 clothing sizes, which amazed me. I have 40 more to lose for my first goal. I started at 245 and am now 179. I will worry about the next 20 after that. This last 40 is really giving me fits. At first all I saw was a death sentence but realized I could take control of this. It's not always easy but it is worth it. I had been in really bad shape and thinking I might die any day, and now I feel SO much better. I am glad to see everyone here. :flowerforyou:
  • Pauline745
    Options
    Welcome everyone from a newcomer herself! :smile:

• Hooha2thebeach
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a nearly 45 year old mother of one and had gestational diabetes which left me with Type 2 diabetes. ( was still worth it to have my little boy though :-)

I am not on medication and have currently started working with my naturopath to try to control my situation as my blood sugars are really out of control at the moment. I am really wanting to avoid medication but I need to lose about 50 kg. I have already lost 30 so far. My doctor says if I lose enough I may have a chance of going into remission,

I live in Australia in a coastal tourist town and am very happy to have discovered this great site. Hopefully we can give each other some support with a really difficult condition. :-)
  • Pauline745
    Options
    Hello and welcome...I'm a newbie also. :) I love this site also...very helpful and inspiring! :smile:
    '
    'Congrats on the 30 kg loss! :smile:

• Hooha2thebeach
    Options
    Thanks very much for your friendly welcome Pauline :-)
  • poulingail
    Options
    Hello
    I'm a 60yo kindergarten teacher and was diagnosed with T2D in 2007. Started MFP at the end of September 2011 and have found it to be really helpful for creating and recording a balance of calories in - calories out. The automatic program here is too generous with the carbs though so I ignore those readings. At the end of a day, I generally have left over carbs and go over in the protein. I've lost weight, claim to be sedentary although it feels like I move around quite a bit on the job, and I am exercising 5 times a week. Had been losing about 1 lb a week but have been bouncing around the same weight for about a month,