3rd Trimester

Options

Replies

• DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Denise - "Prepping" your tatas in the shower? What does he mean by that?

Ooo...Guess it would help if I explained that, ok sorry for the TMI :embarassed:

so I've noticed that my boobies are dry/flaky and I was freaking out a little. He said it was perfectly normal. he said I might as well start prepping my boobs now anyways since I'm going to be breast feeding. He said when I'm in the shower to massage from the biggest part of my boob all the way down to the nipple. Then very gently under warm running water stretch the nipple and manipulate them for a couple of minutes. Do it on each side every night until delivery day.

he said this will help (1) bring my nipple out so the baby can latch on better and (2) will "toughen" up the nipple. He said not to use soap on the nipple just use a warm wash cloth to clean them. Apparently soap dries them out. He said to use Lansolin (or whatever its called) as needed but not to go over board with it because my body should self lubricate and he doesn't want me relying on some gel.
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Denise ~ I didn't realize that other PPOs gave out discounts on breastpumps. I got a "voucher" from mine that gave either a free manual pump or $30 off an electric one. I went w/ the electric one & it ended up being $190 in the end. Still WAY cheaper than any in the store. It was a Medula Advance Pump Tote.

I didn't know either until my doc asked if I had purchased one and I said no (procrastinating) and he said well good here you go and gave me a perscription. He said to take it to the hospital and I should get 20-30% off the cost of the pump!!

he said to keep an eye as far as the motor because some of the medula pumps aren't as strong as others? Any one done any research on this?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yeah...when I bought my pump I did the same thing and got a good discount through the hospital. As far as motors, I don't know. The one I got from the hospital was a Medela and that's what they recommended. The other one I had gotten (as a hand-me-down) was a playtex and the Medela was WAY better/stronger. Made a huge difference!

And as far as "prepping" your nipples...it's a great idea because they are not prepared for a strong sucking baby! I can tell you first hand! I plan on being super prepped ahead of time this go-round!!
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Denise ~ I didn't realize that other PPOs gave out discounts on breastpumps. I got a "voucher" from mine that gave either a free manual pump or $30 off an electric one. I went w/ the electric one & it ended up being $190 in the end. Still WAY cheaper than any in the store. It was a Medula Advance Pump Tote.

I didn't know either until my doc asked if I had purchased one and I said no (procrastinating) and he said well good here you go and gave me a perscription. He said to take it to the hospital and I should get 20-30% off the cost of the pump!!

he said to keep an eye as far as the motor because some of the medula pumps aren't as strong as others? Any one done any research on this?

I have the "Pump In Style Advanced" (backpack) from Medela and it worked great.

Ok good because this is the one that I'm leaning towards!! :happy:
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

To answer the induction question... I was induced with my first. I was 2 weeks over due and maybe half a centimeter dilated. I don't think she was ever going to come out on her own. They started by putting cervidal in. This helps the cervix to dilate and soften. It took multiple doses of cervidil maybe every 4 hours to get me to 1. This wasn't painful, but it just took a long time to help me start dilating. I had contractions during this phase, but they didn't really hurt. Then when I was finally 1cm dilated the doctor came in and broke my water. I instantly had fast and hard contractions. A very short time later, I was 3cm dilated and received an epidural. I remember thinking that was the best thing ever! I dilated to 10cm in probably the next 4 hours? (Time is all a bit relative while your in labor.) After I was 10cm dilated the baby was still very high in my pelvis. The doctor had me "labor down" before pushing. I basically laid there and tried to rest while my daughter got lower in my pelvis. I carry very high and never dropped with that pregnancy. They encouraged me to rest during this time so I would have strength to push. I finally fell asleep for a very short time. When I woke up they said my contractions had almost stopped and they were giving me pitocin to keep them going and help me with pushing. I started pushing after that. I pushed for 2 1/2 hours before my daughter came out, healthy and pink. My total labor time from the the start of induction was 23 hours.
    I know different doctors have different methods of induction. Some start with pitocin before they break your water, some people never need cervidil, but I think it is pretty normal for a first baby induction to take a good amount of time. I think one of the hardest things for me was not being able to eat. In the beginning I was starving, and they only let me have clear liquids. Once I was in active labor I didn't feel hungry, but I was induced at 8am, and didn't deliver until 7:14am the next morning with only a popsicle and a little juice.

I agree that the end outcome is the most important. I am willing to have this baby anyway necessary as long as it comes out healthy.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sharon ~ I do what I can :bigsmile:
    For the hospital bags, this is what I have:
    Baby's Diaper Bag - all the basic diaper bag stuff. Pack a nail clippers - I've read that many hospitals don't cut the nails for you. I know everything else I have in his bag will most likely not be used, but better safe than sorry. I also packed 1 newborn sleeper & outfit & 1 0-3mo sleeper & outfit. Not too concerned about the hospital picture as I'll be hopefully taking some of my own at home anyways.
    My bag - big mama undies (haha).....really just my regular ones, a nursing nighty, nursing tank, 2 nursing bras (not sure which one will fit better), socks, slippers, flip flops (for shower), toiletries, vagina pads (haha), tucks pads, breast lotion, breast pads, baby's memory book (for foot prints), yoga capris, sweatshirt, going home outfit - yet to be determined (depends what I wear there), makeup, camera/batteries. I think that's about it (or at least all I can think of at this point).

Also bringing boppy pillow & breast pump ---> although, this will stay in the car, it's just for a just in case...

Stroller - I got the Aprica travel stroller/carseat (I think Graco makes it). So far I love it....although I've only pushed it around in the room :happy:

For diaper bags, you should keep an eye on the totsy & zulily websites (have to be a member). But they frequently have name brand diaper bags on sale bigtime. I can't think of the one I got from there, but it was a namebrand one - originally $100ish & I got it for $30 (it's the one I'll carry around vs husband - kinda girlyish). I also have a "manly" one & think it's Eddie Bauer? (from Target $40ish).

Denise ~ If I know who the clothes came from & they didn't give a gift receipt (which, by the way....I find annoying that not everyone gives these!), if you feel comfortable asking them, then just ask.....otherwise, you might be screwed. Luckily though, babies go through lots of outfits throughout the day (or so I hear). hehe

Tara ~ I went to the local grocery store & bought 2 long john donuts....yup, both for me!!! And yup, I ate them right in a row!!! :bigsmile:
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Sharon - For hospital bags (which I haven't packed mine yet) but I have thrown about of stuff in suitcase I'll have:

Driver's license / Insurance card / FSA card
    OB GYN office card/Pediatricians office card

Eyeglasses
    Notepad, Pens
    Sundries (shampoo/conditioner/bodywash/razor/deodarant/lotion/toothbrush/toothpaste/nailfile)
    Comb/makeup/lip moisturizer
    Adult wipes/ Always overnight w Wings

Bathrobe or light Jacket
    2 Old lounge pants/1 nice pair of pants
    2 nursing tanks/regular tank tops
    2 nursing bras/undies/slippers/socks
    Comfy going home outfit for me & flats
    Hubby’s swimming trunks (volunteer help me shower)
    Clothes for hubby

Pillow w/ colorful pillowcase
    2 Phone chargers
    Camera/charger
    Nursing pads// nipple cream// Soothies

Comfy going home outfit for baby (0-3 and 3-6 month size)
    Baby cap/gloves/socks
    Baby nail clippers & emery board
    Gas stuff for baby (OTC simethecone)
    Boppy for nursing

Baby Book
    Snacks for hubby

Garbage bags in the car in case I puke on the way home

Diaper Bag- Hubby and I agreed to get 1 diaper bag for both of us. It's charcol grey with plaid. Eddie Bauer from Target.

Stroller- We got a handy down still in great condition from my sister in law it's the Graco Snug Rider Infant Car seat Fram Stroller. Great for Xterrain!!

Preschool- This is my first so I can't say but I would love for him to go to Pre-school!!

Carters baby clothes- I stopped by the retailers and they said they can only accept what is purchased through them directly. BUT they can tell who is carrying what - so if you have CARTERS brand clothes there you go. Nice to know that our baby will actually have clothes that fit! :laugh:

As long as we're going honest about being BAD- I was horrible today. Taking it extra easy (but getting things done) so I did a drive my Jack in the Box :noway: and it was SOOOOOOOOO GOOOODDD!!! :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • kistinbee
    Options
    You ladies make quite the list! One thing I would add to bring is a nursing cover...if you have a lot of visitors, it's nice to be able to cover up and nurse without making them leave all the time...just a suggestion. And the Boppy pillow is on my list too...I wish I had known to bring mine last time! Would have made nursing SO much easier that trying to prop her up on a hospital pillow!

Another idea for baby is a gown...makes it so easy for changing them. Our hospital provides one, but they are SO big they are literally falling off...so this time I'm bringing one of my own.

I will start to get my bag ready within the next couple weeks. If I think of anything else I will gladly share!
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Just a quick point, my friend who is taking prenatal classes did her class yesterday on breast feeding and the nurse/Dr whichever said you shouldnt pump for 3 weeks as it will actually hurt milk production. It should come in naturally , and during this time your body is adjusting to your baby. Also I remember them having pumps there you can use. I think Ill try not pumping this time for 3 weeks, I always thought it would have helped.

taldie,
    We were told that in our class to, but the nurse did say there are always situation where you need the pump. So if you have your own you could bring it so they can help you use your own + each hospital has their own fee to use their pumps. Our hospital charges $75 a day to "use" their pumps.

I just purchased my Medela in style pump so I plan to take it and keep it in the car- better safe than sorry!!!

jchecca- thank you for the advise- I might take you up on that considering I have a BOX full of NB stuff that I know we won't use!! And congrats on coming to peace with yourself, I have a feeling your hubby is right on target!! :happy:
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    Just a quick point, my friend who is taking prenatal classes did her class yesterday on breast feeding and the nurse/Dr whichever said you shouldnt pump for 3 weeks as it will actually hurt milk production. It should come in naturally , and during this time your body is adjusting to your baby. Also I remember them having pumps there you can use. I think Ill try not pumping this time for 3 weeks, I always thought it would have helped.

I agree with this. You should not pump for as long as you can to build up your milk supply. I usually take 3 months off on maternity leave and don't pump at all. Pumping definitly decreases supply. When I go back to work I obviously pump there, but when I come home I breastfeed no matter how tired I am. My hubby never once had to wake up in the night to feed baby #2, lucky guy! I nursed her for 14 months. Would have done more if my back didn't hurt so much from my giant boobs! lol, But if the baby has trouble latching on in the begining and it's due to engoragement you definitly should pump a little out before the baby eats. That is the only problem I had with #2. Once I didn't let myself get so full it worked like a charm. I only had to pump first for a few days until we worked out the kinks. Just a helpful suggestion!

Also if you can't breastfeed for whatever reason, if you are diligent about it you can exclusively pump for quite a while. My son wouldn't latch no matter what I tried, he was clueless as to what he was supposed to be doing! It was frustrating. I kept trying for a couple of weeks, while pumping and giving him the colostrum/milk. In hindsight I would have revisited the lactation consultant until we got it. Anyways, I exclusively pumped with him until 10 months when we were trying to concieve again, and my milk had finally started drying up A LOT. This is extremely hard and wouldn't reccommend it over natural breastfeeding, but it can work. I had to take fenugreek supplements and pump as much as I could to keep up the supply.

Good luck! If you set your mind to it you can do it :) Shooting for 18 months for this baby!

*edited to add this website: http://www.notmilk.com/101.html It has 101 awesome facts on breastfeeding for anyone who is interested:) enjoy!
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Quick question: how do you ladies feel about birth plans? I mean... good to have? Or, is it a waste of time since delivery doesn't exactly go "as planned"? I'm starting to think about what the hubby and I would like but don't know what stuff we'll need to actually write out and what stuff can be communicated later or doesn't need to be communicated at all? I've heard some horror stories about some hospitals, procedures, etc. but don't want to go overboard planning. Ya know?

Yes, it's nice to have one. It's hard to communicate things when you are in labor as your mind is focusing on the actual labor. So something written out is great! But it is so important to be prepared for things to go differently. I had a whole birth plan written out when I was pregnant with Kadence, but when her heart rate starting dropping and a c-section was what was needed, my birth plan when right out the window! So, just keep that in mind...but good to have something with your wishes on paper!
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Quick question: how do you ladies feel about birth plans? I mean... good to have? Or, is it a waste of time since delivery doesn't exactly go "as planned"? I'm starting to think about what the hubby and I would like but don't know what stuff we'll need to actually write out and what stuff can be communicated later or doesn't need to be communicated at all? I've heard some horror stories about some hospitals, procedures, etc. but don't want to go overboard planning. Ya know?

When we did the tour of the hospital, I specifically asked the hospitals policies as far as how & what they did. Pitocin/ Antibiotics/C-Section post care//Circumsicion, etc....then I went back and talked to my dr about how & why each of them had to be done that way.

I'm not a firm believer of birth plans-mainly because they never really actually go through as planned and then you end up disappointed. No offense to those that have one or have done one. I've had a very difficult time staying healthy with my GD> so I've pretty much left it up to my Dr as far as what he thinks I *need*. We did agree (together) that I would get no pitocin & no antibiotics before my delivery. But that's as far as my birthplan goes.

OH and we agreed that my OB will be doing the circumcision while we're at the hospital instead of being released, making an apt and then coming back to get it done. :noway: :grumble:
  • SarahR1984
    Options

I had a birth plan for the first 2 babes and I will have one for this one. I only do this because I do not want some standard procedures done and I would be livid if they were accidently done. Most importantly I did not want hep b vax given. With daughter I did not do vit k injection either, both are standard procedure at my hospital. So I made sure I had these in writing so there couldn't be any mix ups or confusion. If I didn't have strong objections to these things I would probably go with the flow more. I do specify that I don't want any formula given when I am away from the baby and that I want to meet with the lactation consulant asap after birth. I have c-sections so I want the staff to know my wishes since I won't be with the baby for the first hour. These are things I can control.

My first plan was very detailed, but it got thrown out the window as I needed a c-section. As long as you are flexible with the plan it couldn't hurt to have one. Just don't get to attached as things may change. Some things are out of your control. The necessessity for pain meds, pitocin, IV fluids, unavailibility of tub, inability to walk, or possibility of c-section may force your plan to change. In the end if the way your baby is born isn't how you wanted it's ok, you still get the same prize. As long as the baby is healthy it's worth it.

Good luck!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Kristi, I've been reading Babies First Year for Dummies (yes really), The Happiest Baby on the Block, and What to Expect First Year. Dummies and What to Expect are nice because they go month by month so I just read along. Happy Baby is good for tips on soothing and calming. It was helpful when Daphne was really fussy around week 2. I also got a Kindle Fire to read on and highly recommend. You can purchase books directly, get online , and play games. We love ours and actually fight over it. :)
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    I finished The Hunger Games a few weeks ago. I'm always so sad when I'm done with a series. It makes it hard for me to start another book. Haha! Although now I'm reading The Help and like it so far. I'm about 1/4 of the way through it.
    I love Nelson DeMille books. His series about John Corey is great. He has a very smart *kitten* sense of humor and I love it. I also love Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series.

I like Stephanie Plum books too. I read The Help and laughed so hard that my husband read it as soon as I was done! We both got a KICK out of it!! LOL!!

I suggest Water for Elephants if you haven't read it....:smooched:
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I finished The Hunger Games a few weeks ago. I'm always so sad when I'm done with a series. It makes it hard for me to start another book. Haha! Although now I'm reading The Help and like it so far. I'm about 1/4 of the way through it.
    I love Nelson DeMille books. His series about John Corey is great. He has a very smart *kitten* sense of humor and I love it. I also love Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series.

I like Stephanie Plum books too. I read The Help and laughed so hard that my husband read it as soon as I was done! We both got a KICK out of it!! LOL!!

I suggest Water for Elephants if you haven't read it....:smooched:

Morning ladies...

Loved the Help...great book.

I have been listening to and read books by Jodi Picoult ( she wrote my sister's keeper) - her books are on controverial type topics to me but written well and usually have a twist.
    Never heard of the Stephanie Plum series, will have to check that our...I keep meaning to read Water for Elephants and the Happiest Baby on the block...going to pick that up this week at the library.
    I would also recommend The Bee ( don't remember the author's name) it's not so much a feel good read but it is a good book and makes you think.

Prayers going out for Jess and Parker and Krisit's friend...

Hope all you ladies have a fantastic day!

Kelley
  • SarahR1984
    Options

Sarah - you're such an inspiration for the breastfeeding. I'm only going to have 6-8 weeks of maternity leave before I'll have to go back to a 4-day, 10-hours/day work schedule. However, I really, really want to be able to breastfeed as long as possible. My hubby and I are researching and planning to get a really good double electric pump to make things easier (suggestions anyone?) and I really hope that my supply and work schedule keep it possible! Always nice to hear about your success!

aww, thanks:) I've had successwith the medela double electric pump. It runs around $250 but is totally worth it imo:) good luck, you can do it!
  • AmandaJPK
    Options
    I'm currently reading a series of books by Debbie Macomber. There are 10 books in the series-Cedar Cove and each one is represented by a number and then a street name within this Cedar Cover part of the state of Washington. I'm only on No. 6 but they are phenomenal. I've found all of Debbie Macomber's books are great.

Other books that I've enjoyed include The Help and Nicholas Sparks as well...good call Kistinbee.

I've also read all of the Twilight books, which I should probably be afraid to admit but I thoroughly enjoyed them. I actually had found something somewhat similar recently but cannot remember off the top of my head what the title was. It's not a series but the book itself was good.

There's another book I can recommend called Barefoot but I do not know the author.

I love to read!
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Ok my 3rd trimester fellow book worms I have a book that will melt your heart and change your lifes perspective. Or at least it changed mine and I have never been the same. :smooched:

Sara's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Quick check in ....at dr, water is broke. Blood pressure is really high. May be headed to hospital today! :sad: :sad:
    I'm not ready!!!!