Welcome!

Options

Replies

• Just joined Team Vegan. I'm vegan for eco-consiousness and ethical reasons. I can't imagine any animal suffering pain just to fill my stomach when there are plenty of delicious non-animal options. I swore off dairy after realizing that organic milk meant if the animal was sick or oozing pus, it wouldn't get treatment as it would no longer be deemed organic product. The same is true for organic meat. The idea of eggs that are so porous that food coloring that is applied to the shell transfers onto the egg white of an egg caused me to recognize that if the chickens lived in filthy conditions the unseen disease and bacteria were transferred into the egg as well. There went me lacto-ovo vegetarianism. The horrible treatment of animals led to veganism in every area of my life. I wear vegan cruelty-free, sweatshop free shoes and clothing. I use vegan, cruelty free cosmetics.
    So, I'm one of those people. Thanks for having me.
  • lottiepen
    lottiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I became vegetarian back in 1988 or so, then started eating fish in about 1999, now given up fish and embraced a vegan lifestyle. I have suffered in the past from terrible cravings, but since I began eating nutritionally dense food, drinking enough water and making sure I eat healthy snacks I never felt better. Look forward to catching up with you all along our journey!

Peace,

:heart:
  • Poppy2791
    Poppy2791 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, my name is Poppy!

I've been vegan for about a year, and I've been a vegetarian all m life (hippie parents). I'm a vegan for a number of reasons. First and foremost for ethical reasons. I can' justify an animal being killed for my consumption. Second, I chose to be vegan for environmental reasons, and lastly for my health. I have never felt as healthy as I do as a vegan.

I love to cook, and would love to share recipes with anyone!

I'm so excited there is a vegan group on MFP!

-Poppy
  • Trummerflute
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm a 51 year-old woman, and I've been a ethical vegetarian since I was twelve. Your stories of catching flack from your families really resonates! I remember going to Burger King with my High school buddies and ordering a burger less Whopper! Now most of these fast food places have veggie patties, and are moving towards other healthier food (not that I visit them anymore). It is one voice at a time asking, asking asking. I ate meat for a short time during my second pregnancy, gained a ton, and of my two kids, that is the one meat eater! I've been vegan for three years now, never felt better. My quick daily nutrition rule is one soy meal, one bean-based meal. Everything else takes care of itself, because I love veggies, and I don't eat white flours or bread (unless I made it). Happy to be here among friends!
  • hellokittyhorror
    hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I made the pledge to try to be Vegan yesterday after 7 years of being vegetarian. So far I am feeling like I'm always hungry. I eat plenty of vegetables and dink lots of liquids, and pretty much stick to whole grains, but right now I'm still hungry and am over 200 calories over my calorie goal! is my body adjusting? I welcome any advice and supportive vegan friends.

Thanks for starting this group, go Team Vegan!
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    Hey guys,

My name's Lisa, nice to meet you all! I'm 26 years old and live in Sydney, Australia. I've been vegan for nearly 4 years. I was previously vegetarian for just over a year before leaping into the vegan lifestyle. I went vegan mainly because of animal cruelty (the same reason that I went vegetarian) but I find that the health benefits, what the vegan diet does for the environment etc makes veganism is even more wonderful.

When I went vegan initially, I lost 10 kilos in 3 months, but I eventually put it back on. I've lost a couple of those kilos again but the rest is a bit hard to get off though, I admit. I've stopped myself from buying biscuits because if I'm at home, I know I'll binge. I have learnt to portion out most foods that I eat so I don't consume so many calories. When I eat vegan chocolate etc, I usually binge like nothing else but I now portion the chocolate out. I know that I can still indulge in it, but just not all the time.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Lisa x

P.S. I invited my mother to join myfitnesspal as well and I told her she needs to join this group too (she's vegan as well :)). We both feel we need to surround ourselves with fellow vegans that are striving to each their health and weight loss goals. The extra support would be wonderful.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jacki, from Dallas.

I've been vegan since last September sometime, 5 mths? I was vegetarian before that. I saw Forks Over Knives and it pushed me over the edge! So, I went from vegetarian to fat free whole foods vegan...I've lost about 15 pounds and have so much more energy!
    I'm also a runner and losing the excess weight has been an advantage.

There are some vegetarians and vegans in my running club, which is nice, but I didn't know about them until I wore my No Meat Athlete shirts! then they came right up and introduced themselves. The weirdest thing that has happened is that one day a vegetarian came up and shook my hand, and then asked me where I get my protein. I was so baffled. Um. Don't turn on your people, lady. LOL!

Other than that, I don't have too many problems. I do notice that if I mention diet on facebook, I'm in danger of being accused of "pushing veganism" or "vegan propaganda", even when I'm super cautious about mentioning veganism. The last accusation was because I said "only animal products have cholesterol". Apparently, that's not a fact, but instead vegan propaganda. Because I'm surreptitiously recruiting vegans. I think every time someone mentions protein I'm going to accuse them of pushing omnivorism or spreading omni propaganda. totally kidding, but it's a weird problem.

Other than that, I'm enjoying my life and health. Dallas has many vegan options, including a host of vegan restaurants, so I don't really struggle with food prep or eating out like I've heard others have.
  • SuzanneKrause
    SuzanneKrause Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello you beautiful plant munchers!
    I WAS an off again on again Vegetarian but have, since January, fully assimilated myself into Veganism. I have since (New Years) lost 12 lbs and loving fitting into those jeans that had given up on! I am married to a carnivore who gently teases me but is open to the menus I prepare. I've noticed I tend to feel better and lose weight when I stay away from the starchy foods, salt, and alcohol. I know, I know.. seems like stating the obvious, right? But it's the first time I've actually changed my lifestyle and noticed a change. Low fat, low carb, paleo, weight watchers, south beach all failed for me. Plus I felt tired hungry and a bit light headed on those "diets". Now I eat whatever I want and I am enjoying what the scale is telling me. I am loosely following the 80/10/10 plan. I have two or three pieces of fruit for breakfast, again for lunch and for dinner I'll have some protein (nuts, seeds, legumes, etc) and some nice veggies. Yum! As part of my change I've also increased my water intake to about 128-160 oz. Being hydrated makes such an amazing difference in digestion and weight loss.
    Looking forward to chatting with everyone!
    Suz
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    hey Everyone!

I can't wait to go back and read everyone's intros but don't really have time now! I am currently pescatarian, but really leaning toward vegan or at least ova-vegetarian (I have a humane egg source so eggs don't bother me)

when i was a kid I used to tell my mom I wanted to be a "vegetrinarian," I don't think I meant to mix the 2 words but I have always loved animals and until recently just ignored that steak was a dead animal on my plate. Having done more research I realize how sad the diary industry is so I'm working on giving that up too (though I'm having a hard time with ice cream!) My husband is Omni but he's open to trying new meals so right now we are working out the kinks of having 2 different diets in the house.

since going veg I feel good about what I'm eating, I have more energy, and I know that I am doing my part to help lower toxins in the air and reduce animal cruelty

I look forward to getting to know you all!
  • gpmonkey
    gpmonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I don't consider myself a vegan but I eat a plant-based diet. I was a vegetarian for many years and about 6 months ago cut out all dairy. I love to cook and I have been having so much fun finding vegan/plant-based recipes. Last week my family and I went to see Rip and Caldwell Esselstyn speak. My mom has also jumped on board and has lost nearly 15 pounds in less than 2 months. GO MOM! When I initially cut out dairy I lost 20 lbs and now I am looking to drop another 20 and then stay there for a long time. I just started the Turbo Fire DVD exercise program and I am looking forward to seeing some changes!
  • naptural1
    naptural1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Im new to the vegan lifestyle for the past month. I have been a vegetarian off and on for a few years but decided to give up dairy if hopes of reducing my cholestrol levels. I love to cook so Im really enjoying finding and tasting new recipes. Look forward to our your support and motivation!
  • Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, I already know some of you, Thanks for telling me about this group. Ha Ha.
    Ok, I am not a vegan. I'm a vegetarian that does not eat dairy, and only eats eggs from the chickens in my back yard. They are so adorable, especially Lady GaGa and Han Solo. This makes me an loco-ovo-vegetarian, or something. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years but only recently stopped eating dairy. (it really was not doing my sinuses and lungs any favors)
    I'm trying to eat mostly whole foods, I do like not dogs and will eat tofutti cuties occasionally. But tofu, lentils, and crucifers (i.e. kale, brussels sprouts, etc.)
    I am very interested in the health claims of some vegans (i.e. T.Colin Campbell) but really don't see it. I do see the ethical grounds which is enough for me. I also don't understand the position on honey. Still looking into that one also, though I rarely eat honey anyway.
    I should shut up now, I'll try to just read this group for a while and see what happens.
    -Daz

p.s. I do not like Dayia cheese. Yuck.
  • sofinthesky
    sofinthesky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sofia, I'm 25 and have been vegan for 7 years now. :)
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Jaime. I’m 30 years old. I live in Indianapolis with my husband (newlyweds!), three cats, and an adorable elderly Chihuahua.

I describe myself as a lactose intolerant vegetarian who doesn’t like eggs. I’m “nearly vegan.” My husband is vegan and has been for 17 years!

I would say I’ve always struggled with my weight. When I was 11 years old I weighed in at 130 pounds. I’m 160 now, which is where I have been hovering since high school. I reached my peak weight of 180 a few years ago. But that’s when I was playing rollerderby. So even though I was heavier than ever I was also fitter than ever. I feel like my body does not want to be smaller! I was able to drop 15 pounds before my wedding but it’s been creeping back! So I’ve started c25k and back to calorie counting.

I had a horrible relationship with food before I became vegetarian. I have never enjoyed eating meat (looks, tastes, and smells weird). I used to literally cry at resturants as a child because there was nothing I was willing to eat; I was so afraid of food. In high school I had some vegetarian friends but they really only ate junk food. Meeting my husband was a blessing! I didn’t know there was an alternative way to eating and he really showed me how to eat and live. I did gain a lot of weight when I became a vegetarian though. I think that’s because before I was just so afraid of food that I was really on the verge of an eating disorder (I only ate rice, at every meal. True story).

Anyway, happy to be here! Everyone seems really supportive and open, unlike some other, less vegan friendly forums….
    :wink:
  • ms_shelleybean
    ms_shelleybean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow plant powered people! I've been vegan for 7+ years now. I started eating veggie after reading " Eat More, Weigh Less " by Dr. Ornish, that led me to Dr. McDougall and I've been a low fat vegan since then. It's taken me six years but I've lost a total of 90 lbs. Woohoo! Sadly I've gained about 20 lbs back over the winter so I'm back to logging my food and seeing how to improve my adherence to the low fat part. I've found traveling the most difficult part of being a low fat veggie. Last week I drove from Louisiana to Massachusetts and lived on French fries and soda. Blech! This week I'm back on my usual eating plan and feel great.

-Shelley
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! In about three days, I'll be celebrating my two-year veganniversary. I had a few false starts, and then it stuck.

I started losing weight before becoming a vegan, but healthy eating through veganism has really set me down a great path. I've lost over 90 lbs total at this point, and have become an avid runner working toward my first half-marathon this year.

Veganism appeals to me due to my personal ethics, environmental sustainability concerns, compassion, and overall health. Best decision I've ever made!
  • kdlfit
    kdlfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Karen. I went 100% vegan in March 2011. That makes a year now! I'm 52 years old and have more energy than I have ever had. I love eating a plant-based diet. I lift weights, run, bike, hike and on the verge of seeing my six-pack abs for the very first time in my life. My husband just went vegan after watching Forks Over Knives. His cholesterol has gone down to the point his doctor doesn't bother him anymore about getting on statins. Which he refused to do. Now he doesn't need to! It's amazing how great I'm feeling by eating this way. I love to cook and experiment with new recipes. We have four grown kids and 7 grand-kids ranging in age from 18 years to 5 months. ;)
  • livelongmama
    livelongmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been vegan for 23 years (since my teens). I was vegetarian for 3 years before I became vegan, but became lactose intolerant, so the transition was easy as I didn't really care much for eggs either. I became vegetarian and then vegan because I could not condone the killing of animals to sustain my life when there was a non-harming alternative. When I first became vegan, I had a lot of time to cook whole foods and enjoy the variety of fruits, vegetable, legumes and grains available to anyone who wants to try them. I always had plenty of energy for hiking, climbing, yoga, biking or whatever else I chose to do. In the past few years, a busy life and the flood of vegan convenience foods (and treats!) has derailed my healthy lifestyle a bit. I am still healthy, but joined MFP to bring my awareness back to the way I feed my body (and family). I want to get back to the whole foods and healthy veganism that has sustained me for decades in the past. I also love that it motivates my to exercise on days when I don't think I can find the time. :) I am so excited to have found other vegans on this site!
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Well this is my first week eating vegan and I have to say I feel AMAZING already. My hubby brought up the idea a few months ago (to switch our diets) and I was shocked -- he's the epitome of a carnivore! After some discussion and research, we both realized how much this could impact our health and decided to jump right in. I've been spending quite a bit of time looking up recipes and substitutions for common items that we use and so far it hasn't been as hard as I though it would be. In fact, I think it's been much easier than I expected. I feel better already - more energy, less bloated, and overall happier (less stressed). So far, I don't miss the food we've eliminated...the only thing I missed the first few days was my breakfast routine (plain greek yogurt with berries). I'm excited to join this group to learn more and connect with you all!
  • poquosonrn
    poquosonrn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I became vegan a couple months ago after reading skinny ***** and watching earthlings. I was already eating a lot of vegan/vegetarian foods for weight loss. I have lost about 87 lbs this past year. I am married with 2 boys age 10 and 14. My husband is having a hard time with the new me. He thinks I'm being extreme and should be able to eat "humane" raised meat without a guilty conscience. Don't miss meat as much as I do dairy and cheese. Not sure I could afford to be 100% vegan as animal by products are found in absolutely everything. Trying to do what I can in my food choices while getting healthy. Last cholesterol check recently was 120 (not that mine was high to start with-138 I think). Would love to meet new vegans and see new recipes. Advice on vegan/nonvegan relationships might help at this point as well. My husband hates veggies and will never give up his meat so joining me is out of the question. I think he misses when I was fatter and we would eat out at restaurants frequently.