Podcast and App Reviews

Options

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My phone isn't terribly smart, so I use podcasts. My fave has been the series put out by NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx). I like the music, and love the voice commentary. The encouraging comments are not too frequent, and timed perfectly. I like that she throws in some running tips each week too. Also, I do fancy that British accent.

I do this one, too. The thing I'm finding is I'm now on week 8, and the music selection isn't as good, and definitely isn't enough to keep me motivated. I'm so disappointed -- I loved Laura, the British Commentary!
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use the c25k app from Active.com. It works nicely, I play my own music. I "log" my workouts on it and if I run outside it tracks my distance and my pace, which I really like.

Just finished W7D2.
  • zozilla09
    zozilla09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use iTunes and I can't get the Chubby Jones podcast to download to my ipod for some reason. Any suggestions?
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm a bit of a technophobe, and have tried a couple of the free apps for android phones but didn't get on with them for various reasons. would it be possible to put a podcast onto an ipod shuffle? i ask as not everything is geared for shuffles. and if so how would i do it?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I purchased the C25K app by Vimukti on my Blackberry & it seemed like it would be great...until I used it with my bluetooth headphones. For some reason it won't play through them. I know it's not the headphones or my phone because I can play the regular music app & it comes thru the headphones just fine. I can't find a setting for it in the app & I HATE wired headphones. I suppose I could go to podcasts but I paid for the app & want it to work!!

I also bought 5k Runner for my husband's iPod, but my headphones won't work with it until I get some kind of adapter. Yeah, that'll happen. The pair of wireless headphones we have that DOES work with the iPod don't work well for me because they're the over-the-ear style & I wear glasses. The ones I have are more earbud-style, so I'm stuck with my Blackberry.

Ideas??
  • breakingfree123
    breakingfree123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I will look into Chubby Jones C25K now. :0)
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K app from Active.com. I really liked it. You could use your own music, a voice would tell you when to switch intervals or when you were halfway done, it would track your GPS and how far you ran/walked and your average page. It was great!

Now that I'm a recent graduate, I use Endomondo. The basic app is free. It tracks (and maps) your distance, average pace and your pace for each of your miles. You can set it to a certain time or distance and I believe it has a social networking feature, but I haven't used it yet.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same here, until Jan 12, I'm on Blackberry and I have the app by Vimukti - and that turns off your Pandora everytime to tell you when to run/walk. So I would love to see some things other people have said about using the Blackberry and the C25K apps and podcasts.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
    This thread is fantastic!
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE the Heavy Duty 5K Runner app. I have the paid version ($1.99) and used it for the first time today. I can listen to my music and run the app at the same time, as well as lock the screen. When it is time to switch from walking to running, the app lowers the volume of my music, gives me the instruction, and then turns the music back up. You can elect just to have it beep if you would prefer, though. I like how the guy tells me "Well done!" at the end of my workout, too :).
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm a recent graduate, I use Endomondo. The basic app is free. It tracks (and maps) your distance, average pace and your pace for each of your miles. You can set it to a certain time or distance and I believe it has a social networking feature, but I haven't used it yet.

I've been using Endomondo for tracking too. Prior to that, I was tracking cycling and running with SportyPal on my Blackberry. Endomondo seems to do better with getting and maintaining a GPS signal, so I switched.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I dowloaded the Couch-to- 5k app from Active.com for iPhone - it's brilliant. It was on sale for only $1.29NZ - which is $1US.

It's great, you can choose 3 different trainers - you listen to your own music - the trainers voice will tell you what to do and when you're half way there. You can lock your phone - it doesn't interfere with the app. It has GPS so it tracks your route on a map that you can see and let's you know distance run and average speed. It logs all your different runs so you can compare as well. Just a very nicely set out app.
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have the c25k free from zen labs iphone ap. it's not perfect...won't run in the background so need to open your gps and pandora first, voice is pretty quiet and i've missed 1 or 2 chimes, screen lock wasn't intutitive to me but it does the job. I'm in week 7 so probably won't bother looking for a different app now but there are some downsides to this one.
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and C25K, and I know this thread is a little dated, but I wanted to throw in a recommendation for RunKeeper. It doesn't have c25k built in, but it has a very flexible interval coaching feature, and i t took my about 15 minutes to put in the intervals for the entire program ahead of time. The app is free and really is an adjunct to runkeeper.com, which is a nice site with many social features similar to MFP. It does have paid features (advanced reports and stuff I think) but I've never look at them.

The app has great voice coaching that prompts you when to run and when to walk, provides great data including a map of the route you ran, and is overall very useful and user-friendly. Since the app is free it's definitely worth a look.

(And incidentally I have no affiliation with the app or site other than being a happy user of their software!)
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Using the free NHS UK one here. The music is very generic, probably because they're trying to pitch to an entire nation though so that can be forgiven. The lady that does the voiceover sounds lovely. It's all good and I'm more than happy to follow the programme as she puts in hints and tips and stuff and I like the motivation, but I can't wait to be able to actually run 5k and listen to my own music.
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem finding an app that will run without all the things that internet is needed for. sometimes I run in a parking garage (when it's raining) and the c25k app goes out on me.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded the NHS one for my next run and uploaded it onto my MP3 player. Had a listen to it the other day. I'm still in the early stages and need the prompts to tell me when to start running and walking since you switch quickly. I agree that the music is pretty generic, although thankfully it's not terrible and the voiceover isn't cheesy. I think when I get to running for longer periods of time, I'll start using my own music though.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use the Get Running app for couch to 5k. I like it, clear, simple lay-out, the voice is nice, you can change your settings from letting her "talk you through it" to just saying the bare minimum. Definitely recommend it.

What I miss though, is the option to track my run and to measure my speed. I guess I could use another app for that at the same time, but that's making it a little complicated I reckon.

How do other people track their run/speed?
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if you can use the slacker radio app at the same time as the C25K app on the droid? I don't want to have to spend the time downloading all my music on my phone since I also have a Zune that I usually run with. unfortunately they don't have the app for Windows so I can't add it to my zune. I am very picky with my music and do not want any pop, hip hop, dance music, new country etc. playing while I run so I would love to have my hand picked Slacker station playing on my phone while using the app. I tried to google it but couldn't find anything that would tell me so I thought I would ask and see if someone else is using it too.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I really like http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k/ for podcasts...she uses a lot of different music varieties, and is in the process of creating a bridge to 10k podcast series.
    But week 4 I used NHS's ...hers was too slow