49 Worst Foods

Options
lisajnz
lisajnz Posts: 16 Member
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/muesli-fat-food-blacklist-4740811

1. Alcoholic drinks, replace with water/diet soft drinks
2. Biscuits *
3. Butter, lard, dripping or similar fat (used as a spread or in baking/cooking etc,) replace with lite margarine or similar spread or omit
4. Cakes *
5. Chocolate *
6. Coconut cream, replace with lite coconut milk/coconut flavoured lite evaporated milk
7. Condensed milk *
8. Cordial, replace with water/sugar free cordial
9. Corn chips *
10. Cream (including crème fraiche), replace with natural yoghurt (or flavoured yoghurt depending on use)
11. Crisps (including vegetable crisps) *
12. Desserts/puddings *
13. Doughnuts *
14. Drinking Chocolate, Milo etc, replace with cocoa plus artificial sweetener
15. Energy drinks, replace with water
16. Flavoured milk/milkshakes, replace with trim, calcitrim or lite blue milk
17. Fruit tinned in syrup (even lite syrup!), replace with fruit tinned in juice/artificially sweetened
18. Fried food, replace with boiled, grilled or baked food
19. Frozen yoghurt, replace with ordinary yoghurt
20. Fruit juice (except tomato juice and unsweetened blackcurrant juice), replace with fresh fruit
21. Glucose, replace with artificial sweetener
22. High fat crackers, replace with lower fat crackers
23. Honey *
24. Hot chips *
25. Ice cream *
26. Jam
27. Marmalade *
28. Mayonnaise, replace with lite mayonnaise
29. Muesli bars *
30. Muffins *
31. Nuts roasted in fat or oil, replace with dry roasted or raw nuts
32. Pastries *
33. Pies *
34. Popcorn with butter or oil, replace with air popped popcorn
35. Quiches, replace with crust-less quiches
36. Reduced cream, replace with natural yoghurt
37. Regular luncheon sausage, replace with low fat luncheon sausage
38. Regular powdered drinks, replace with water/diet/sugar free powdered drinks
39. Regular salami, replace with low fat salami
40. Regular sausages, replace with low fat sausages
41. Regular soft drinks, replace with water/diet soft drinks
42. Rollups, replace with fresh fruit
43. Sour cream, replace with natural yoghurt
44. Sugar (added to anything including drinks, baking, cooking etc.), replace with artificial sweetener
45. Sweets/lollies *
46. Syrups such as golden syrup, treacle, maple syrup, replace with artificial sweetener
47. Toasted muesli and any other breakfast cereal with greater than or equal to 15g sugar per 100g cereal,
replace with Breakfast cereal with <15g sugar per 100g cereal, > 6g fibre per 100g cereal and <5g fat per 100g cereal (or <10 g fat per 100g cereal if cereal contains nuts and seeds)
48. Whole milk, replace with trim, calcitrim or lite blue milk
49. Yoghurt type products with greater than or equal to 10g sugar per 100g yoghurt, replace with yoghurt (not more than one a day)

Replies

• lisajnz
    lisajnz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thought these would make for a good discussion :)

Some of them I totally agree with - some of them I'm surprised at! When I read out puddings/desserts to my 10yo - she very quickly replied with - but what about fruit crumble?! Yeah - what about a good fruit crumble, I don't see anything wrong with that as a treat every now and again (we usually have dessert once a week - so fruit crumble with yoghurt once a week? wrong? I don't think so!).
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think it's complete BS

I am so, so, SO annoyed with "dieticians" pushing all this chemical filled 'reduced fat' crap, and just telling people "these are baaaaaaaaaaaaaad" rather than teaching people moderation and how to actually select GOOD foods and keep their portions sensible!
    Just saying "these are bad" doesn't teach people anything because they drop the weight and then return to their bad habits because they don't need to "diet" any more.

Plus, our bodies NEED fat
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement that most of these foods should absolutely be avoided - because most of these foods are highly processed.

Earlier this year I changed my usual diet completely to 'primal' eating (www.marksdailyapple.com) and have lost around half a kg per week since. I have cut out all wheat, grains, sugar, rice, pasta etc. I eat meat, veges, some fruit, nuts, seeds etc. Plenty of calories, plenty of fat, and the weight is coming off steadily.

I agree completely with the post above about how we absolutely need fat - it is what our bodies are designed to burn to get energy (not sugar or carbs). I eat plenty of butter, coconut cream is encouraged, cream is fine too :)

I guess it depends on how you are chosing to lose weight, but highly processed foods should always be avoided - in any diet!!
  • RoosterNZ
    RoosterNZ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe I am going to have to go with Sarah on this one..