What type of nursing do you do?

Options

Replies

• SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am a Stem Cell Transplant nurse. I work 12 hr shifts- 7p to 7a.

I also commute from far away to where I work . So I sleep in my car during the day, then go to work for a 12 hr night shift. I do this for my stretch of shifts then go home again. It works for me.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    I'm a CNA currently working in in-home care with a quad. I work 9am-1pm weekdays (no weekends!), which works out perfectly for me, as I have a daughter who goes to school at 8:30 and gets home at 3. I love my shift, my patient and I get along really well, and I get along great with the nurses I work with as well. (My patient has 24-hour RN/LPN care in addition to the 4 hours of CNA coverage he gets daily.) I am finishing up my last couple of prereqs for nursing school and planning to start in either April (spring quarter) or September (fall quarter) this year. I have worked night shift before and it did not work well with my body, so I'm hoping not to have to do that ever again, but I know that's a tough thing for a new nurse...
  • Jessifer123
    Options
    LPN night shift on detox!
  • Dtough
    Dtough Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im a pediatric nurse. I'm doing a few travel assignments at the moment! I would really love to move over into L&D if I could just find an opening!
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    L&D RN
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    I am a 3rd Year Paediatric Student Nurse in the UK. Hoping to find a ward job come October x
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm an ICU nurse working 7p to 7a. I like my job but even after 4 years my body has not fully adjusted to working nights. I'm going to CRNA school this coming May. I don't plan on working while I'm in school. I'm super excited to be a student and have a normal sleep schedule again after all these years! Grad school will be super intense, I hope I can find time to exercise in between my hectic schedule.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started working on the Cardiology floor and have been cross trained to our ER for the last 1 1/2 years and LOVE IT!!! My wife is also a nurse on the med/ surg/ renal/ dialysis floor. Same hospital, different floors.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life...
  • WinterB2003
    WinterB2003 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a LPN who currently does Home Health for 2 patients.....I make my own shift Mon-Fri
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am a retired nurse, only because I was injured, and had to have 13 surgeries, which took over 2 years to heal. I wasn't thinking AT ALL about doing my CEU's while I was healing, plus, I spent over 7 months total in-patient. So, when the time came to reup, I didn't have the credits, CEU wise, and couldn't bring myself to LIE on the application, saying I had them. So, I let it slide. But, I am calling tomorrow to see if I can do my CEU's and get my license back.

By the way, MED/Surg.
  • sjbarlow4
    Options
    I work on an orthopedic/med/surg floor, 12 hour night shifts. Thinking about switching to home health. I've worked nights for 12 years and I think it's taking a toll on my health.. physically and mentally!
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I was working I did LTC with geriatric patients specializing in Alzheimer's, dementia, and psych. Also did a couple days on our rehab floor for post ops and such. I've been a stay at home mom for the past 2 yrs :-)
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am an LPN and work in LTC. I was a CNA in the nursing home first, and have now gotten my LPN. I am working on my RN, not sure where I will go from there, not a lot of options as I am in a rural area! I really do love my old folks though! :smile:
  • newfienurse66
    Options
    started off in CCU for 9 years then ER for another 9, now doing clinic nursing, hours are good but miss the adrenaline rush!
  • josiebees
    josiebees Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Psychiatric nurse working in the community :)
  • daringjenny
    Options
    Med/Surg (mostly Surg) for the last 4 years. I work 7A-7P, and I love it!:smile:
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Recently took a job as a telephone case manager, prior to that I worked L&D and med/surg.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    started off in CCU for 9 years then ER for another 9, now doing clinic nursing, hours are good but miss the adrenaline rush!

This is exactly what I am afraid of! I want to go to grad school but think I will be bored doing anything else but ICU work.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi : ) I work in the ICU/CCU. 12 hours. 3p-3a.
    That shift sounds better than 7p-7a need to talk my manager into it.

My ideal shift too! I used to love this shift but have not worked anywhere that has offered it in years. I do better with those hours!

The 4 hours makes a huge difference for me! When I was young I could go until 7pm no problem... then I had a kid who is on a "normal" schedule. It was not pretty when I was at home but then I changed to 3-3 and it made a HUGE difference. I still, for the life of me don't understand how people can work the opposite though 3a-3p (yuck)! lol
  • RNMachine
    Options
    ICU/CCU, cardio and teaching clinicals to prospective LPNs!