Options
    Can't name just one....but top of the list would be

- Christian
    - Non smoker
    - No more than one ex wife
    - Must be taller and/or larger than me
    - No missing teeth
    - Must not wear more jewelry than me
    - Must own a car, not live with his family and have a job.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    ladies...just out of curiosity....is there too tall?
    note: im not asking b/c i think i am...its not that at all...its just meaningless curiosity....

For me...no.....there is no "too tall"
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    note: im not asking b/c i think i am...its not that at all...its just meaningless curiosity....

No.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    i feel bad for the dudes under 6'.

we're just a rare bunch with a lot of tall ladies who like to wear high heels! (well I do...)
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    smoker
  • Katefab26
    Options

Well, I'm 5'5". I prefer guys to be within the 5'7" to 6'3" height range. Taller than 6'3" makes it awkward for random cute kisses, and shorter than 5'7" makes me feel like a giantess.

That being said, height's not really a deal breaker.

Being able to count his ribs through his skin or being able to fit three of me into his pants is most definitely a deal breaker.

Also, being an arrogant jerk. I can't stand that. I'm obviously smarter. They just need to realize this :laugh:
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I absolutely will never hook up with another man that can't take responsibility for himself.

I want a man that looks after me, not one that goes from Mummy to Mumsie!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    lucky for me to have the height thing covered *whew*

for me deal breaker is

smoker. don't mind being around smokers but can't be with someone who is one.
    drug user. hard core like needles and crack.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Any drug or tobacco user. I had to say tobacco in general because of the guys who chew. Yuck!! That also kind of goes with bad teeth.
  • SouthernNHgirl
    SouthernNHgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't name just one.

no smoking, drug use or excessive alcohol use
    good teeth and gums = nice breath
    good grooming - no random ear and nose hairs, facial hair trimmed, ears clean
    must have a job or actively and honestly seeking one
    must be financially secure and live within their means
    living a healthy lifestyle
    must not be arrogant or have a negative outlook on life

Am I unreasonable? In August 2011, I decided to take a year off from dating. I want to pull myself together and be the best I can be before dating again.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Drugs would be the big one for me.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I have found that people will say this is a deal breaker or that is a deal breaker but when it comes right down to it. If you aren't willing to compromise on some things you may end up alone for a very long time. I say this because nobody's perfect and those people with imperfections have deal breakers too and you may fit into their deal breaker category. Just don't rush to judge people because they smoke or aren't a christian, people can and will change if given the opportunity and you could miss out on something very special if you let your deal breakers get in the way.

JT
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Just one? Sorry...can't do it.

Smokers
    Liars
    Druggies/alkies
    Racists
    Dog-haters

I'm sure I have more, but those are the biggies off the top of my head.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've had deal breaker things that I've 'let go of' in past relationships...mostly things in the physical traits category, my own personal preferences. Though none of those relationships resulted in marriage, I can't say that I have regrets...one of those people has become a life-long friend, another has changed who I am today (for the better). Had I have been so rigid neither of those people would have made an impact on my life. I'm one of those people that believe that others come into your life for a reason or a season.

Of course, there are obvious deal breakers - cruelty, liars, substance abuse, ANY kind of abuse...things of that nature.

I'm amazed on how many people said smokers...up until recently (1-3-12) I've been a smoker. I started when I was 15 and I'll be 45 next month. The majority of the people I've dated or have been in relationships with were non smokers...they all took a chance on me which I find amazing because I really would not want to be with a smoker now.

It's nice to know what you do not want, but try to keep it somewhat flexible...you just never know. :flowerforyou:
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I have found that people will say this is a deal breaker or that is a deal breaker but when it comes right down to it. If you aren't willing to compromise on some things you may end up alone for a very long time. I say this because nobody's perfect and those people with imperfections have deal breakers too and you may fit into their deal breaker category. Just don't rush to judge people because they smoke or aren't a christian, people can and will change if given the opportunity and you could miss out on something very special if you let your deal breakers get in the way.

JT

Sure, I'd be flexible on height, weight, race, etc but not other things because those are my core values which I'd like to have in common with a long term partner. Being a Christian, I couldn't date an atheist. Being health conscious, I couldn't date a smoker or someone who was an alcoholic. There are just certain things I just couldn't be flexible because I'd be going against me.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    As a representative of short guys at 5'6", I am happy to see that jobless is winning over height, lol.

Damn, you are tall! (I'm only 5'4")

Mine are smoking, drug-use and general illegal activity.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    People that say they won't date people that aren't Christian. Why? I am agnostic and probably have a higher moral standard then most "Christians" I know. So you are saying because I don't read a book and don't believe any one culture is better then the next that you look down on me as you would someone that has an addicition to something harmful?

I always wonder this as I grew up Luthern but studied many religions when I was in college and decided that there is a little bit of all of them I can associate with but I can't believe that there is one person/enity serving over the whole world.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed on how many people said smokers...up until recently (1-3-12) I've been a smoker. I started when I was 15 and I'll be 45 next month. The majority of the people I've dated or have been in relationships with were non smokers...they all took a chance on me which I find amazing because I really would not want to be with a smoker now.

For me at least, it's because cigarette smoke royally screws up my immune system and I often find myself sick after being exposed to cigarette smoke for too long. Too long being as short as 20-30 minutes.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a matter of wanting to be able to share my faith on a daily basis with someone else. Not that I'm a religious fanatic or anything, but I do try to go to church each week and raise my kids that way as well. So I'd like to be with someone who will participate in that lifestyle with me. Maybe not so much on a "casual dating" level. But if it's going to be long term and possibly lead to a future together, then having similar religious beliefs would be a must, for me personally. Not identical, but similar.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My friends and I have this conversation all the time. Well, they are usually grilling me as I'm usually the only single one in the room : ) The older I get, the less deal breakers I have, but I'd say I have three considerations:

1) I have very little respect for joblessness due to laziness or lack of work ethic (in these times, many people don't have jobs due to the economy, so I'm willing to be supportive as long as I know he WANTS a job);

2) I will always have a dog. He doesn't need to love dogs, he just needs to accept that he will be living with one;

3) This one is weird but it stems from someone I knew who had this happen so I put it on the list. I do not want to pee (or worse) on you, nor do I want to be peed (or worse) upon.

A girl's got to have standards, no matter how old she's getting : )