Bloody deadlifts

Options
tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
So, as I understand, if you're doing em right, then as the weight gets heavy the bar will rub against your shins on the way up, otherwise you probly don't have the right angle. But I'm at the point now that the bar is not only scraping my skin on my shins but opening it wide up and blood is coming down my leg n onto the bar. And it's a gym, not my own equipment so I'm sure don't appreciate it.

Anyone else dealing with this? Any secrets?

Replies

• dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    knee high socks...seriously. at first you might feel dumb, but just consider yourself unique. and badass for deadlifting while the other 90% of the guys at the gym are doing bicep curls.

i had one scrape on my shin that i kept ripping off over and over. it was so annoying until one day i wore long socks and it finally stopped me from bleeding on the bar.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    no not really my shins are inline with the smooth bit of the bar. but i am gonna make a conscience effort to make sure my shins hit the bar on the way up 2moro. i am pretty sure it does hmm....

anyway wear long socks, wear some skins or track pants, tape your shins. peace.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've got shin scars because i was too stubborn to wear high socks

In order of good to no so good.

1. wear high socks (skins are AWESOME!)
    2. tape the bar, electric feels nice with some sweat
    3. chalking your bar and shins kind of helps but its not 100%
    4. clean up after your done especially if you have aids
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    same. I just started getting into deadlift - keeping it light while build up strength and watch my form. I'm the same, my shins are raw after. gonna have to get the socks/skins or pants going.

seriously though, I am loving deadlifts.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

i tried to get a band aid from the front desk at the gym one day and the guy flipped out and said he had to inspect the bar and if there was blood on it they would have to bleach it.....blah blah blah.
  • addisondisease
    Options

i tried to get a band aid from the front desk at the gym one day and the guy flipped out and said he had to inspect the bar and if there was blood on it they would have to bleach it.....blah blah blah.

I leave the blood there, so that when someone goes to curl my bloody bar in the squat rack they can at least soak up a small portion of my extremely high levels of testosterone from the blood.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I leave the blood there, so that when someone goes to curl my bloody bar in the squat rack they can at least soak up a small portion of my extremely high levels of testosterone from the blood.

LOL

As said, high socks. You can actually get special deadlifting socks that are a bit rubbery I guess you'd say. I haven't really had too much of an issue yet.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

1.agree wtih socks.
    2.it's not your bar, don't tape it. thats lame.
    3.you chalk the bar, you DO NOT chalk your shins, you use baby powder on them
    4. clean up

they should drag up your shins, but you don't want to be a bloody mess everytime.
    some powerlifting feds are requiring socks for all lifters, just go that route, gonna be the easiest and most pain free method.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, the high socks were a great help! Not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place. Even tho I look like a dork wearing em, it was a good thing I still had some knee-high stripers sitting in the back of my sock drawer. Now they have a purpose :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It is an interesting look for sure :tongue: Apparently, all the hardcore kids have to wear chuck taylors as well.

For me personally, I've only ever worn shoes deadlifting once & that was in the novice comp I went in because they said I had to. Probably should get used to it though. It's too damn hot for shoes around here most of the time though.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Chuck taylors FTW, :p
    Flat, and only 50bucks!

Personally love the battle scars on my shins. :p
    am used to it, so the skin has kind of toughened up. Have not bled in a long time now.

I hear skins are the go for the cool kids.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    Yeah skins have these sick pair that have like a rubber strip up the shin that is then double stitched. I have a friend who has them and he RAVES about how nice they are.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    mine usually just take a little skin off...but had a few scabs from last week. deadlifts this morning, and tore the scabs off and blood. yes!! I'm in the club! :bigsmile: :laugh:

going to have to wear long socks or pants next time. and look into those skins.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the socks tips guys!
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh guess what now i am taking skin off! arh! haha oh well atleast i know i am doing it right now. haha.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    So, as I understand, if you're doing em right, then as the weight gets heavy the bar will rub against your shins on the way up, otherwise you probly don't have the right angle. But I'm at the point now that the bar is not only scraping my skin on my shins but opening it wide up and blood is coming down my leg n onto the bar. And it's a gym, not my own equipment so I'm sure don't appreciate it.

Anyone else dealing with this? Any secrets?

It's inevitable not to get your shins scraped especially when you are pulling heavy weights. Wearing a knee-high socks is one of the best option. Luckily our gym has this 4 inch tube-like rubber/foam thingy [like foam roller] that everyone used to put on the squat bar to protect their traps. I use this thing to protect my shins and it perfectly worked.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty damn hardcore! Never seen a guys shins bleeding...
    Next time I do those, I'm going to wear some itty bitty shorts with my knee high soccer socks.
  • BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Back in my younger days I tore open my shin on two different occasions. In this spot the skin is so thin I regularly tear it open if I dont take precautions.

If I feel like it, ill wear warm up pants or something, or if I am in shorts, Ill chalk the bar up some and ill use baby powder on my shin.

Baby powder first, then chalk... baby powder is so slick.

I like the tape idea, I may try that!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I wear long yoga pants that are fitted around the calves. Not sure if they make these for men, but they are great for DL's.
  • lukebyro
    lukebyro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah knee high socks are required in competitive meets for this reason. You may want to rub them down with baby powder to reduce friction as well. Adjust your form slightly too, you want to be close to scrapping tour shins but you have to keep in mind that the friction you are adding to the bar may mean the difference of whether or not you get the weight up.