"Atkins Breath??"

Options
GB333
GB333 Posts: 261 Member
I had never heard of this before watching the BBC video posted below. Has anyone experienced this?? The video said it's the "infamous side effect." My husband hasn't been complaining, so I guess I'm ok! ha!

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Were they indicating that this is bad breath? Typically the only breath side effects of Atkins is the expelling of Ketones in the breath, which actually gives off a slightly sweet smell. There are very odd cases where some people report urine that smells of nail polish remover (acetone) since acetone is a member or related to ketones (if I remember correctly) but this appears to be very rare.

Generally if they are indicating this as a bad side effect (the breath) I've found that most media is not friendly to low carb and will try to convince people it's bad through misinformation.
  • jacob1462
    jacob1462 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've offended myself a few times with my "Atkins Breath". When it strikes, you will know it.....smells like you've been boozing it up or something. Frequent tooth-brushing seems to cure it.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Apparently I had it yesterday. It was horrible...at my nieces basketball game & I did have any gum or mints...just kept drinking water but my daughter even commented on it though...lol. So wierd...guess I entered ketosis since I started livin low carb on Thursday. I went straight out & bought gum & mints. Maybe I need to get a portable toothbrush to keep in my purse too :) Does this last for a long time??
  • rsouthland
    Options
    I've never been affected by the "Atkin's Breath" but I've definitely had acetone smelling urine. It's strong smelling, even for me at times, when I'm really heavy in ketosis.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    my husband and I have both had this.