Anybody Out There?

Options
Juawill
Juawill Posts: 16 Member
I've been using MFP for one month now, along with Fitbit. So far, I've lost 3 pounds and I attribute it all to this combination. For those who don't know, Fitbit is a tiny wearable device that counts your steps and climbs (as in stairs). It also tracks your sleep, which provides some really interesting information.

Anyhow, I've become addicted to MFP. Everything that I put in my mouth gets recorded on MFP. While I'm mostly concerned about caloric intake, I also watch the other things such as cholesterol, sodium, fat, etc. I strongly believe that when calories in exceeds calories burned, you gain weight. Conversely, when calories in is less than calories burned, you lose weight. So, I set a target to lose 20 pounds and I've already lost 3.

The hardest part is learning how to eat all over again. I tended to rarely eat breakfast, have a small lunch and a big dinner. Then I'd snack quite a bit at night in front of the TV. Now, I eat a decent breakfast, snack whenever I can, have a decent lunch and a moderate dinner. Since I've been doing this, I've found that with certain dinners that barely satiated me in the past, I now have difficulty eating the whole thing. That's a good thing!!!!!

Anyhow, if anyone reads this, jump in. We're all in this together. Good luck on your journeys.

Replies

• gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have been up and down the scale my whole life. MFP is wonderful tool helping calculating calorie intake. Also you are very right, it's a journey to retraining yourself how to eat healthy. Most all of us who have been on a "diet", knows the right food to eat, but forget about portion control along the path of life!!! Good Luck!
  • russ9164
    Options
    Hi Juawill,

Yes, there is somebody out there? ,ie yours truly.

I only joined MFP yesterday & can already see a change in my food awareness based upon using the food diary.

I share your belief re the formula about calories in vs calories burned & even have been explaining that to my wife (who says she needs to lose weight but really doesn't). Well, i figured the best way to prove the formula is to follow it myself...8 )

I am 48 yo, 178 cm & 98kg. My first goal is to get down to 90kg in 6 weeks. I hope & pray that by using MFP, I will reach that goal.

Talk again soon.

ciao for now

R
  • sslloyd5
    sslloyd5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :tongue: :tongue: Since signing up to MFP, it is the accountability I needed to help me to stop stress eating, overeating, or late night eating. My next challenge is training for a 5K in my area. I just need to get back on a routine. :happy:
  • MHoule10
    Options
    I have always refused to count calories and weigh out portions. Since I started drinking my ReShape smoothie every morning, everything seems so much easier. I honestly thing people need a better education on what to fuel their bodies with and the proper nutrition. Sure the canadian Food guide gives you an outline, but has anyone followed it to a T? I like SIMPLE, and MFP is helping me keep track of my input and output without being complicated.
  • cgraziano1985
    Options
    I joined up today and I am currently in the red butkeepig track of what I am doing is definately a motivational tool. I had heart surgery 6 months ago and will be on meds for the rest of life which makes losing weight all that more important and all that harder... so many foods (healthy foods) counteract my meds turning my biweekly blood tests into weekly... does anyone have suggestions for easy workouts, that is for someone who didn't start "working out" until today. Good luck with your goals everyone.
  • CrabbieHib
    Options
    Thanks to Juawill & the rest of you guys for starting the chat, whilst we make this fun journey together. I'm 45 & live in Edinburgh with my beautiful partner & my new step son. I didn't feel to great about my life a while back, but decided to finally take a grip and make Positive Steps. A very close friend to my partner introduced me to MFP & this is the place to be. I'm off to work soon so will chat with you guys later. Twitter @CrabbieHib
  • CrabbieHib
    Options
    Anybody Else Out There? :)
  • wave143j
    wave143j Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm Amy. I am 37 with a husband who is my best friend and 4 great kids. I quit smoking in August and gained about 7 pounds on top of the 50 or 60 I already needed to lose. I started this journey about a week before Thanksgiving (the first 2 weeks I totally failed). Since the first week in December I have been consistently losing about a pound a week. Slow but steady. I'm down 16 pounds now, my eating habits have changed, I started working out this month, and I am completely obsessed with MFP. I am so glad to have the support and guidance from everyone who is struggling and succeeding through all of this with me.
  • dry61ed
    dry61ed Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have joined MFP as I need to lose weight. I generally eat whatever I want whenever I want and that has gotten me overweight. I have turned 52 and became menopausal. With that said I either need to eat better or become very active, as that is how it goes at my age. I am have always been sedentary and that is a life long habit. My best bet it to watch what I eat and go from there.
    Wish me luck and give me support please.
    :flowerforyou: