What is hunger? What is fullness?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
These are two questions i need to really consider in light of all the binges i've been having.
what is hunger and can i be comfortable with it?
what is fullness and how will i know when i'm there?
i think for me, i've never liked the feeling of being hungry. geneen roth describes it as starting out as a "whisper" and then building into a scream (like when your stomach growls). For me, the whipser part seems to happen very quickly and the scream starts soon after. i have been trying to pay attention to my body more. when am i actually hungry? am i eating to eat or eating because i'm hungry?
same thing with fullness. why is it so hard for me to be ok with comfortably full? why do i need to push it to the next level? is it that i'm not wanting to feel hungry again and so if i know i'm really full then i don't have to worry about hunger for a while?
one of the problems i have is not waiting the 30 minutes you are supposed to wait after eating 1 serving to see if you're still hungry. definitely another thing to work on.

what about you all? what are your feelings on hunger and fullness? are we ever really satisfied?

Replies

• apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. lol

Really, though, I'm not good at listening to those cues. I kind of ignore them on purpose I suppose.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i ignore them too. i just do what i want, not what my body is telling me. that is one of the biggest problems with binging. i always hear from other people "just stop eating when you're full" but it's not that easy for some reason. I just want more and nothing seems to satisfy. so i guess the question is, why is food not enough to satisfy us? what possibly could satisfy us?
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea. I try all the tricks - water, exercise, gum, staying busy, etc. And they all work sometimes - but I've found nothing that REALLY helps.

Maybe it's finding out what the real problem is - and fixing that. And consistency.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    For me it has nothing to do with hunger. I know when my body is hungry and when it is not. I love feeling comfortable, not hungry and not full and I am really trying to listen to those cues and only eat when I'm hungry. That is not always easy for me. My bingeing is almost always about wanting to numb myself and not feel feelings...boredom is also a HUGE trigger for me, probably the hardest to deal with for me.

I had been doing well for the past few days and then Wednesday came and it was all over. My company is having major financial problems and they are cutting positions and benefits and it has been stressful not knowing what is going to happen...I didn't want to start eating but there I went, using the stress and uncertainty as an excuse to eat. I have one go-to binge food that once I start eating I can't stop and it leaves me looking for more and other foods to eat....and that started it.

I think, like apesid already said, for me I need to find the root of the problem, take care of that and the food will (usually) take care of itself. But I do know there are foods that are very addictive to me and I won't stop eating until the food runs out and/or I am uncomfortably full (food addiction).

I've heard that it is very difficult to recover from any eating disorder without professional help but I'm still dragging my feet on that. I used to attend 12 step meetings and they can work but I think the reason they do is the comraderie - the support from others who have the same problem...and I can get that from here, as long as I show up and participate (which I haven't been for the past 2 days). So here I am making yet another commitment to show up and post more. I hope you all will join me! I'm so glad to see some new posts and friends here!
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is a topic I'm struggling with tonight. Why do I feel so frantic when I barely start feeling hungry and then ignore my 'stuffed beyond belief' sensation after a binge? My anxiety is off the charts-first from increasing problems with binging and second from the backlash I get from people around me as I try to seek help. The emotional side of this problem and total (perceived) lack of control over my behavior are what scares me, but because I'm not overweight I get very harsh responses in general. To me, this is about an unhealthy way of life that need to change, not weight.
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have just read overcoming binge eating by Chris Fairburn and started following the advice in it. It is a brilliant book and so much of what is written makes sense. The first half is all about binge eating disorder and the current research/thinking and the second half is a programme to help you recover.

One of the main points in the book is that the number one cause of binging is strict dieting and going too long without food. On step 2 you eat regular meals throughout the day leaving no longer than 3 to 4 hours between food. Once this pattern has been established you begin to learn when you're actually hungry and when you just want to eat. So far it has been working really well for me. I never want to binge after a meal because I think it's ok I'll get to eat again in a few hours. I have been eating more calories than I usually would but overall less because I haven't binged (yet).

I got the book from the library, of you're in the UK I think most stock it because it is recommended by the NHS. If not you can pick it up off amazon for about £5.
  • sophieford1
    Options
    This is possibly one of the best things I have ever read, as no one else ever seems to completely understand where I'm coming from when I talk about this problem. I hate the feeling of being hungry, I hate being full, but I'm completely unsure where the line is when you feel 'satisfied'. I have a bad habit of eating to quickly, therefore I just manage to eat a lot without really realising, to then eb companied by this feeling of dissatisfaction of being so incredibility full afterwards. In the evenings I tend to graze, picking on things whenever I can - leftovers from dinner, bits and bobs from containers, even something random like dry pieces of cereal even though Im not hungry, I just 'fancy' food.
    Or sometimes I have left it so long to eat after my stomach has been growling at me, that it takes A LOT to fill me up. Therefore I go into binge-purge mode and the situation becomes about 100x worse.
  • amandabanana83
    Options
    I am still very new to MFP but I am glad to find a group that is probably more about myself than I would have ever thought. I have clinical training in psychology and social work and can easily recognize unsafe lifestyles for other people, but clearly have spent all of these years ignoring my own. I have the often insatiable need for the worst food...fried food...sweets..just junk in general. And I can't just eat a small amount. I have to go all the way until I feel like I am going to burst. I am not afraid to admit that somewhere along the line I developed an actual fear of getting too hungry and there being no food around. I have no idea why that is, because I have never NOT had the means to have food available whenever I need it. But I won't usually leave the house without snacks with me. Part of that right now is because I am watching my calories and want the healthy stuff available so I'm not as tempted to head for the fried food. I've actually been thinking the past few days that I'm not sure I really KNOW what is honestly the hunger and what is "full enough" without being too full. I suppose the moral of the story is to pay more attention to myself. I tend to get in the hustle and bustle of things and just ignore what my body is telling me.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic for sure. and hard to determine too. Thanks for post.

Please note I have posted a monthly conversation thread for us: See link below and please share because we are not alone in this struggle with binge eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654612-be-support-group-conversation-thread-2012