Awake all night

Options
ginnylee74
ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
Good Morning All,

I'm curious about some symptoms of Hypothyroidism. I read STTM but not sure if this is Thyroid or just maybe need vitamins. My Dr says it's best to get vitamins from food. I agree but as I'm on this sight it's apparent that I don't always eat as I should.:blushing:

So, has anyone had any problems with not being able to sleep or shut your brain off at night. The past two nights I have had a real hard time staying asleep. Plus, My legs and feet really cramp up when I move them around while sleeping. So much so that it's wakes me up. Then the no sleep and cramping starts it's cycle again. :sad: Hope I'm making sense. Long story short (finally) is no sleep and painful cramping in lower extremities. Any ideas? Experiences?

I take 7.5 mcg of Levoxyl, Also Vit. D3, Omega 3's and Cholesterol lowering drugs and High Blood Pressure Meds. One of the reasons I'm trying so hard to lose weight. I would like to get rid of some of the meds.:drinker:

Thanks for taking the time to read.:flowerforyou:
Ginny

Replies

• nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    I've never had any issues with not being able to sleep since I've been Hypothyroid (1Year now). But, I have always been a fast sleeper. Sorry couldn't help here.

However, I have had issue with really bad muscle spasm and cramps. They were so horrible I had to go to the ER to calcium through the IV. It was due to LOW calcium after my thyroids were removed...my parathyriods were brused and wasn't able to produce enough calcium but its healing now... but I still have to take 1260mg Calcium and 1000IU Vitamin D. I haven't got any muscle spasm and cramps since. Hoping that once my parathyriods heal completely I can finally stop taking vitamins.

Ask for calcium levels too on your next lab just to check if your at the normal range.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Maybe anxiety? My cortisol levels were really messed up for a while because of my thyroid issues and that caused some bad anxiety for me. Not just worrying about things, but not being able to turn anything off. I started an adrenal supplement and that has helped. I also take Lexapro to help with my anxiety. Sleeping is most definitely not an issue with hypothyroid for me though. I'm lights out every time I close my eyes for a few minutes.

I do take daily supplements too though, calcium, vit c, fish oils, vitamin d (2000 mg), flax oil, mutlivit, adrenal supplement, magnesium, cranberry, and occasionally a few others mixed in.

If you get a good "whole food" multivitamin, maybe it would help.

Potassium and magnesium can help with the cramps but make sure you're getting a lot of water. I have to get up and stretch my cramps out some nights, but between vitamins, stretching, and working out, it's getting better.
  • ginnylee74
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions and information. I had one parathyroid removed and was told not to take a lot of calcium. However, I'll go back on a good Multi with minerals and see if that helps. Thanks again.:flowerforyou:

Nancy, You're right. I'll get the calcium checked. Thanks,
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Ginny
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This advice isn't medically proven, so take it for what it's worth, but my Dad, a lifelong diabetic, was struggling with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and because of his many medical conditions, he couldn't tolerate the medicine prescribed by his Dr. to help calm his legs. So his Dr. suggested drinking 2 or 3 ounces of sweet pickle juice per day. (The juice left in the jar of sweet pickle slices)

Amazingly, after a couple days of pickle juice therapy, his legs settled down and didn't give him as much trouble. Didn't completely eliminate the twitchiness, but helped significantly - he could at least sleep thru most of the night.
    Until the week before his death, he religiously drank pickle juice.

Not saying this will help you, but my Dad swore by it. Maybe give it a try??

~~PR
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to have that... for me, it was caused by long term use of statins - Lipitor for Cholesterol. Statins tend to collect in your muscles, especially in your legs/feet and in your throat. My Naturopath took me off the statins... although my Cholesterol is a little high, my "good" cholesterol is very, very good because of clean eating and exercise. He feels strongly that when we get my thyroid regulated, that the cholesterol will drop. Hypothyroid is the reason your cholesterol is high.

See, doctors only treat lab tests -- they don't treat the *person*.

Before I had the Naturopath, I used to go off of statins for 2 months at a time -- just long enough to get it out of my muscles. Then I'd go back on it for 4-5 months, then off for 2 months. I told my doctor that I was doing it 'cause I couldn't stand the feet and leg pain.
  • ginnylee74
    Options
    I used to have that... for me, it was caused by long term use of statins - Lipitor for Cholesterol. Statins tend to collect in your muscles, especially in your legs/feet and in your throat. My Naturopath took me off the statins... although my Cholesterol is a little high, my "good" cholesterol is very, very good because of clean eating and exercise. He feels strongly that when we get my thyroid regulated, that the cholesterol will drop. Hypothyroid is the reason your cholesterol is high.

See, doctors only treat lab tests -- they don't treat the *person*.

Before I had the Naturopath, I used to go off of statins for 2 months at a time -- just long enough to get it out of my muscles. Then I'd go back on it for 4-5 months, then off for 2 months. I told my doctor that I was doing it 'cause I couldn't stand the feet and leg pain.

Thank you,
    I will give it a try. My cholesterol LDL and HDL ratio's are good.
  • Jessilee75
    Jessilee75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ginnylee- I have a lot of trouble sleeping too and I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for about 5 years. Sometimes I have trouble turning my brain off to fall asleep or if I do fall asleep, I usually wake up in the middle of the night. I just started taking melatonin to see if that will help. It does seem to help me sleep, but I feel groggy in the mornings a little bit. (Plus it seems to have a weird after taste- but that may be the brand). I also have made it a nightly ritual to drink some sleepy time tea before bed. I had horrible legs cramps with both pregnancies....people always said to eat more potassium, but I never really saw much difference. I hope you find something that works for you....I know it is so tough to not get sleep, especially when you already feel so run down as it is from the thyroid problems. :smile:
  • LesleyHMoyes
    Options
    Hello,

I have been Hypo for the past 4 years. :(...I have found that taking Magnesium really helps with my sleeping and with the muscle cramps too. If I stop taking it, I will notice that in about 2 weeks, my symptoms will pop up again. Good luck :)
  • ginnylee74
    Options
    Thank you Thank you. Everyone here is so helpful. Getting all the suggestions is a big help. I know not everything works for everyone but it doesn't hurt to give some of the ideas that work for others a try. :heart:

Ginny
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    My sleep issues were related to perimenopause and went on for years. Most women I know have the same complaint. I never attributed it to my hashi's.

My husband had restless leg syndrome - it drove us both crazy!!!! I read an article on-line about splenda (the artificial sweetener) causing this in people. So we both stopped using it and within a matter of a few weeks it was completely gone.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I take Melatonin for helping me fall asleep and stay asleep. Actually, my doctor suggested it for a natural remedy for sleep troubles. She prefers it over any sleep meds.

My BF was suffering really bad cramping when he was first diagnosed. They went away once they got his dosage figured out. He would cry out and jump out of bed with the cramps, they were so bad. I'm so glad they went away, it was interrupting my sleep!