Exercise Calories

Options
incendia3
incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
How many of you eat back your exercise calories? I've read a lot of advice in the public forums about this being a good thing, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea for those of us without a thyroid. I generally have anywhere from 200-400 calories left over after my workouts each day. Also I don't want to work out any less because I don't want to lose muscle, but I also feel like I will have a hard time getting enough calories if I'm going to eat them back. Ugh....I guess I'm just asking which way works best for you.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hard to say really. I usually do not eat back my calories -- I've had my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) tested, and it's only 1,050 calories a day. So, my metabolism is so slow that it doesn't need many calories. I wear a heart rate monitor and have my heart rate zones programmed in, so I *think* it is calculating correctly -- but I'm never sure that I really burn what I think I am burning when I exercise. So, on workout days I try to hang around 1200 calories. On days I don't workout, I frequently only eat 1,000-1,100. And I have not lost a single ounce since 1/8/12.

Some people say "eat more" to lose weight -- but that never, ever works for me. If I eat more, I always gain weight no matter how much I exercise.

Everyone is different, so you should experiment not only with # of calories, but the spread -- meaning the % of calories for Carbs, Fat and Protein. I do believe that hypo people don't tolerate a lot of carbs like others do, but it's just my theory. Also, try not to eat processed food -- eat as "clean" as you can.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back my calories, but I only walk and do some limited warm water movement exercise. I usually have only about 100-200 exercise calories, so that is not a lot.I am not able to exercise due to other health problems. I still have 1/2 of my thyroid and also take synthroid. I think it depends on what your underlying health issues are and how you respond. Try it each way--eating and not eating them--see which works best for you.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't, unless I've burned a huuuuuuge amount. But that only happens when I'm particularly motivated (haha, next to never) so it's hardly worth mentioning.

I have to agree with tecallahan - the 'eat more to lose weight' approach has never once worked for me. Any time I do eat more, the only way to go is consistently up.

So, definitely do experiment. Eat them back, don't eat them back, tweak the protein-fat-carb ratio, spread your meals differently throughout the day... You have no way of knowing what will work best for you until you've tried it all. It might take a lot of time, but once you figure it out, it gets easier.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    I am so confused. Im new here, so should hypothyroidism people eat back their exercise calories, and is my bmr wrong since my metabolism is slow? I take synthroid too.
  • incendia3
    Options
    I've lost 4 lbs since starting on here and tomorrow is weigh in # 3 for me. I feel like if there is any drop at all tomorrow I will be staisfied that I am doing things correctly. Before surgery I was able to lose 5 lbs in a week without much effort (I'm 5'10") so actually being satisfied with this progress is a huge for me lol. I tend to end the day with way more protein and way less carbs than MFP is suggesting. I usually burn anywhere from 600-900 calories a day so I start to feel a little depleted only actually eating about 1400. I thought I was going to have a breakdown last night because I was so run down, but after 10 hours of sleep I feel ready to do it all over again.

Also got my blood work done again yesterday so I'm hoping to hear from my dr. today or tomorrow. Maybe I can get my meds upped a bit.

I think I'm going to try one more week of not eating them back and see what that gets me.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I am so confused. Im new here, so should hypothyroidism people eat back their exercise calories, and is my bmr wrong since my metabolism is slow? I take synthroid too.
    If you are eating back your exercise calories and not losing weight, you will have to experiment. Go for say 2 weeks where you only eat back 1/2 of the exercise calories, did you lose weight? If so, continue. If not, eat back 1/4 of the calories... and so on.

It's a matter of finding the combination of exercise and food intake that results in weight loss for you. Unlike what the other forums say, it is not Calories In vs. Calories Out if you have hypothyroidism. Your metabolism is probably very efficient at supporting you and not using many calories.

In my opinion, Synthroid does nothing to stimulate your metabolism or really to remove many hypo symptoms. All Synthroid does is put synthetic T4 in your system so that your pituitary gland stops producing so much TSH.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have learned I CANNOT eat back my exercise calories, even when I burn more than I eat. I just gain or hold steady. I cannot eat much in the way of carbs either. Starchy foods bloat me up. My carbs come mostly from fruits and veggies.

I've been burning super huge amounts of calories lately, so I've been eating back about 1/4 of them, and all I've managed to do is maintain. So I'm forced to go back and not eat any extra at all. Sucks, because I've been eating back calories because I've been hungry! Not something I am much accustomed to feeling!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back but if I burned loads like over 500cals I'll allow myself something like a brandy & coke and maybe a gluten free brownie or I"ll allow chips or something with dinner when usually don't have carbs with my main meal... but if I eat like that all week the weight goes back on, so it has to be a spike day once a week.

If I'm struggling to exercise cos of pain levels I keep my calories really low.

I pile on water when eat stuff like pasta but I love spag bol so treat myself once a month and do it when I have my TOTM as have extra water on anyway and when they end it all comes back off! .. then back to very low carb. This seems to work for me and get my biggest loss the week when water comes off 2-3lbs off my total plus the 4lb of water that went on.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I pile on water when eat stuff like pasta but I love spag bol so treat myself once a month and do it when I have my TOTM as have extra water on anyway and when they end it all comes back off! .. then back to very low carb. This seems to work for me and get my biggest loss the week when water comes off 2-3lbs off my total plus the 4lb of water that went on.

I think they call that carb cycling -- you have days where you allow yourself high-carb and then go back to low carb. It keeps your body from figuring out what you are doing and prevents your metabolism from regulating itself based on how many carbs you eat. It works for many, but not for me. I tried to go mostly low carb and allow myself a high carb day once in a while, but I gained weight.

There are so many factors to why we don't lose weight -- thyroid levels are part of the equation, but adrenals are also part and insulin resistance could be part.

Nutrition is also a huge part -- you need to optimize your nutrition - eat green veggies, fruit, lean meats and fish, nuts & seeds, avoid gluten, dairy and sugar, drink lots of water, etc... If you eat 1200 calories a day, but it's got bread and donuts and candy bars, you really aren't going to lose weight --your body is taking all those carbs and store them as fat on your middle. Just cut out processed foods as much as possible.
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    NO, I have never ate back the calories I've burned. I know that I will gain weight for sure If I did that. Before being Hypo, I was eating probably 2000-2500 a day and the only workout was volleyball 2 times a week, I maintain my weight with no issues.

After the surgery, and now Hypo. I reduce it to 1200-1600(Hardest thing ever!) and 6x week workouts and still that was only maintaining it. Hypo people really do have VERY SLOW metabolism!!! So eating the right calories really do help. I also agree with tecallahan, I think we don't do so good with high carb foods. Ever since i reduce my rice intake (which I use to eat with almost all my meals-I'm asian) LOL. I do notice that I'm able to probably lose 1 pound per week if I don't cheat.

Keep working out! And I hope you have some good news tomorrow on your weigh in!!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

I think they call that carb cycling -- you have days where you allow yourself high-carb and then go back to low carb. It keeps your body from figuring out what you are doing and prevents your metabolism from regulating itself based on how many carbs you eat. It works for many, but not for me. I tried to go mostly low carb and allow myself a high carb day once in a while, but I gained weight.

There are so many factors to why we don't lose weight -- thyroid levels are part of the equation, but adrenals are also part and insulin resistance could be part.

Nutrition is also a huge part -- you need to optimize your nutrition - eat green veggies, fruit, lean meats and fish, nuts & seeds, avoid gluten, dairy and sugar, drink lots of water, etc... If you eat 1200 calories a day, but it's got bread and donuts and candy bars, you really aren't going to lose weight --your body is taking all those carbs and store them as fat on your middle. Just cut out processed foods as much as possible.

well that's why I treat myself to carb things I miss the week before TOTM and I don't have anymore from second day after its started as my body is starting to let go of the water and in and out of bathroom quite frequently! I usually gain 4-6lbs and that comes off plus another 2 lbs, sometimes 3 if I'm lucky, but I don't lose much the rest of the month!

I also try and make sure I burn at least 600 cals a day, the week before as I get chocolate cravings bad!.. so a bit everyday until cravings go off. I usually get small box of cadbury's heroes and just have a couple of individual ones rather than a whole bar!.. I've still been managing to lose but its really slowed down.

I'm trying Q10 as it heard it helps boost energy and metabolism and is naturally found in our bodies but depletes as we get older, hoping it will help to get last few pounds off and stay off as peri-menopause is kicking in!
  • winnie55
    winnie55 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism but have not been put on any meds yet. I have all the symptoms though and have not been able to lose weight no matter what I do. I have my calorie intake set at 1200. I am 5'1 and 150 and Iam trying to lose 25 pounds. Does anyone know if I am eating too few calories or do you think I should wait until the Doctor puts me on meds before I start changing anything? Just been getting frustrated since I cant seem to lose anything and I have been trying for about 3-4 months now. Any advice anyone can give me would be great! Thanks!!
  • incendia3
    Options
    I wish I had some good advice for you. I wish someone would have told me before I had my thyroid removed that it would be close to impossible to lose weight. I would have worked hard before and lost extra so I wouldn't be in this place right now. I do a pretty intense workout 6 days a week for an hour at least, and have been doing that for over a year. Since I've been tracking my calories I have lost 5 lbs in about 2.5 weeks I have my calories set to 1000 and usualy eat back around half of my exercise calories. I guess it could be worse. If I have any advice at all, it's to be diligent. Get yourself on the right meds. Work hard. Eat right. Track everything. Even if the weight doesn't fall off you will start to feel better. And there are many more benefits to working out and eating well than just weight loss. Don't get discouraged. Best of luck!
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I have been eating them back to see what happens when I do and I don't, just some or all. The jury is still out. Trial/error.

I am having my RMR test tomorrow.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism but have not been put on any meds yet. I have all the symptoms though and have not been able to lose weight no matter what I do. I have my calorie intake set at 1200. I am 5'1 and 150 and Iam trying to lose 25 pounds. Does anyone know if I am eating too few calories or do you think I should wait until the Doctor puts me on meds before I start changing anything? Just been getting frustrated since I cant seem to lose anything and I have been trying for about 3-4 months now. Any advice anyone can give me would be great! Thanks!!

There are some things you can try while you are waiting -- I don't understand why they diagnosed you and didn't give you the meds??? Doctors suck. Anyway, you can try:
    - Eliminate gluten completely
    - Reduce your carb intake - try to get your carbs from green veggies and maybe a little fruit
    - Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water every day (75 ozs)
    - Eliminate processed foods and eat as fresh/organic as possible
    - Try to get rid of sugar substitutes and use Stevia as sweetenter
    - Read labels and avoid foods that have soy
    - Only eat cruciferous veggies that are cooked/steamed -- vegs like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts have something in them that suppresses the thyroid -- but it goes away when cooked.

That's a start. I think 1200 calories a day is ok -- you might want to back off of very intense exercise and keep in moderate for a while so that you don't wear out your adrenals (too much cortisol). It's ok to do slow reps with heavier weights rather than fast/intense... walk rather than run, etc.

Hmmm.... that's all I've got! We're here for you and we feel your pain!
    Terri
  • winnie55
    winnie55 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and input. I will definitely keep those in mind until they put me on meds for it. :smile:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No gluten in my diet made me very sick, I tried the foods a few years ago. I appreciate all of your suggestions, but remember we are all individuals with different reactions. Some of us are dealing with multiple diseases. I always say--think out of the box---try different things and see what works. I find it difficult when people say there is only one way to do somethings and offer the same pattern for everyone.