Do you strength train at home or the gym?

Options
karisma81
karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
I do my exercises in my living room because of the convenience, low cost, no one is looking at me etc. Between the set of dumbbells that we have and using my body weight I know I will be fine for a while and I can make significant strides in our apartment.

Every once in while I do wonder if I'm missing out a lot by not doing barbell exercises. Is anyone else working out at home?

Replies

• atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't tink you are missing out. I do a mix of at home and at the gym, but I feel I am getting equal workout, at least now that I am starting out. I use dumbells and my own weight at home. At the gym I use the machines for my legs and arms etc, but hardly ever go oever 25-35 lbs at this point. I just want to feel like I'm at least doing something without straining myself. But then again I am only a beginner. I tend to focus more on cardio workouts.
  • jennieb87
    Options
    I am a fan of working out at home! Love it!!! But I tend to buy workout dvds...and am partial to jillian michaels and bob harper. They have some pretty intensive strength workouts.
  • mld2003
    mld2003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out at home. Like you said it is cheaper, plus it makes it easier to do/find excersises that work for me.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. It's just so much more convenient that way. That, and I live in a college town. The gyms (especially this time of year) are teeming with people half my age who often seem more interested in hooking up than working out.

I've wondered about using a barbell, too. At this point, I don't think I could accomplish much with one. I'm kind of keeping my eyes out for a used weight set, though.
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I just started about 3 weeks ago and got sidelined for a week when I was really sick. I work full time and have two school age children whose schedules are busier than mine so going to a gym would be one more thing I'd have to schedule into my already crazy day. I realized that when I have less time I am more productive than if I have lots of time, so I've told my kids that from 7am to 7:45 am they do not "own" me and that is my time to work out. I jump rope in intervals in my garage and then lift weights in my bedroom while they are responsible for getting themself ready for school. We eat breakfast together, I take them to school then come home, shower and go to work. I also do run / walk intervals around the soccer field, swimming pool, gymnastics gym, and ballet studio, and karate dojo while waiting for them to finish their activities. If only one child is in an activity, the other one run / walks with me and it also serves as some quality time. This pattern the one "workout schedule" that has worked for me. I won't give up sleep to wake up before them and exercise and I don't have enough time / energy to do it at night after they are asleep. This is why I work out at home.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like doing workouts at home no need to waste gas to get there or my time when I can do everything at home!
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to workout at home. Weighing over 250 pounds I was too embarrassed to go to the gym. Started with the Beachbody programs - Slim-n-Six, then Chalene Extreme (2 rounds), P90X (2 rounds) then bought Turbo Fire. At the time I was married - hubby decided we needed to join the gym. So we did, bought 3 memberships for the family. I started out doing Zumba only at the gym. Then spin class, then weights. I don't workout at home anymore - for a variety of reasons. But the main one - is it's easier for me to go to the gym and get it done. Sometimes it's a hassle, but it's "my time"
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to use weights in my workouts. I have been using toning bands and a fit cuff up until now. Up until this point I have mainly focused on cardio for weight loss. As my weight loss has slowed since I have only 29 more pounds to go instead of 150 pounds. So I started to incorporate ankle weights into my cardio workouts. I wear them when I do my Leslie sansone Walk at Home Workouts for 4.5 miles. I think they are only 2 pounds each right now. Then I also do the arm segment of 10 Minute Solutions Target Toning for Beginner's dvd. I use 2 pound hand weights that I bought at Walmart for under $7.00.

I have only been using the weights as of this week. So I started to alternate my routines, so I'm hoping to see some results soon. I started at a small amount of weight, so I wouldn't injure myself for one and so that I could also gradually increase as I need to without having to get a gym membership.

I just hope this is the way to do it. Everyone seems to have different advice on this and I never know which is the right advice. I figure that I'll do whatever works for me. I like the idea of ankle weights and hand weights so that I can even wear them when I go for walks outside this spring too!
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    osewcute - I'm very impressed at how you've managed to fit your workout into your busy schedule. I came across a quote on someone's profile that says "Right now, someone busier than you is working out". I guess you're one of those people.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    We were thinking of joining a gym, but since my better half already had the necessary strength equipment (Olympic barbell/ bench, dumbbells, & tower of power) we opted to expand the home gym & added an elliptical & recumbent bike so I do everything at home.

I :heart: tower of power for pullups & dips ( assisted for now, but my goal is to be able to do them all by myself).:smile: