cashew butter

Options
is cashew butter ok? are cashews nuts or legumes? because i wanted almond butter but it was like eight bucks a jar!!!!!! but cashew butter was cheaper but i didnt buy it because i wasnt sure what cashews qualified as. thanks!

Replies

• dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Legumes, I believe. In any event, not true nuts.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The biggest concern with nuts are the Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFAs) and Omega 6 levels that accompany them. The best nuts for Paleo/Primal are walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, cashews, and their associated butters. The ratio between Omega 6 and PUFAs are relative to the type of nuts preferred by Paleo/Primal.

If you're trying to lose weight though, go easy on the nuts and nut butters. When I first started, I was eating almonds and almond flour like they were going out of style. I was still losing but when I plateaued, I figured out it was the nuts that were holding me back.

Honestly, cashew butter sounds tasty. I'm gonna have to get some.

Here are some articles for a much better explanation that I can give you.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-omega-6-fats/#axzz1nykrxu1b
    http://paleodietlifestyle.com/are-nuts-and-seeds-healthy/
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
    And yes, cashews are nuts, not legumes.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself yet, but you can make a lot of nut butters yourself with a food processor.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No, they are not nuts. I remember this from QI and I've now Googled it. They seem to be in a category of their own.

"This "nut" is really a thick-shelled seed. Harvesting can be tricky because the outer part of the shell can cause dermatitis in some people due to the poison oak allergen it contains. If that doesn't complicate harvesting enough, the inside of the shell also contains a toxic resin, which makes opening the shell problematic. If it isn't done right, the cashew become inedible. Steaming is the most common method of opening the shells, but the high temperatures cook the nut inside."
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can make your own almond butter. Youtube it. Very easy to do and cheap.
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
    They're actually not legumes or nuts from what I found but rather a seed that attaches itself to the bottom of the cashew apple. Thanks for the info, dennydifferen. For all purposes, they're okay on Paleo from what I gather, unlike the peanut.

Here is more info: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=98
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The only downside to cashews (compared to other nuts) is that they are higher in omega 6 and sugars that most other nuts. If the choice is cashews or M&Ms - take the cashews. If the choice is cashews or almonds - go almonds.