How many Grams of Carbs are you eating???

Options
OK so I got some info off of Mark's Daily apple. (if you are currently not reading it, you should. it's full of great stuff!)
but anyways, he suggest eating 50 - 100 g/day for the 'Primal Sweet Spot for effortless weight loss.' along with eating .7-1 g of protien per lean body mass. i am struggling to hit both the numbers. I eat over on the carbs and under on the protein. And i thought i was close to the protein number. I know i could eat less fruit.

Does anybody else get close to these nubmers???? and how do you do it??

Replies

• Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've got my carbs set at 5% and I'm at a 2500 calorie diet, so that's 31 grams of carbs per day. Out of the last 30 days, I've hit under 30 carbs for 23 of them, 30-60g 4 days, and 60-90 1 day and over 90 1 day.

I had a hard time getting my carbs down that low, until I really started watching carbs. 4 carbs per serving is normally to much for me. I don't do yogurt. Limit cottage cheese to when I go out. I don't eat fruits at all, and only eat really green low carb veggies, Kale Spinach and asparagus mainly.

I'm pretty much going on mostly meats eggs and cheeses which means I'm having no problem getting my protein where it needs to be.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to hit both.
    I always eat meat for each meal. bacon, steak. If I have a steak, I actually try to eat at least 6 oz cut or maybe a 8oz cut.
    bacon and eggs are never boring for me, so that is an easy win.

I am very sparing on the fruit right now because I'm trying to get 10 last lbs (the hard ones right ;)

I try to get 140-150g of protein every day and pretty much get 60g of carbs each day (between 40 and 80 pretty consistently)
    I just don't add any carbs other than veggies for now. When I hit goal, I'll add the fruit as snacks.
    I actually find it easy and am never hungry - I actually feel guilty for being stuffed and I guess I chock that up to eating great expensive proteins and good fats.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm actually finding it quite hard to hit over 100 (I'm trying to maintain the amount of body fat I have and put on some muscle), despite eating fruit, dark chocolate, some dairy, and sweet potatoes and so on.

This might have something to do with the amount of protein and fat I'm eating though - I found that increasing those made the amount of carbs go down by themselves without any extra effort on my part.

Make sure you get enough meat, eggs etc at each meal and the rest will hopefully fall into place.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat under 50 grams of carbs every day, without too much effort. I try to get to 100 grams of protein every day, and most days I hit it - if not, I come very close. It's working really well for me. :)

Amy
  • rdpollard
    rdpollard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I average between 50-70 carbs per day unless I cheat. Funny how those really bad foods are just so full of carbs. MFP does a good job of making that obvious, and it serves as a warning for "next time."
  • Smonks00
    Smonks00 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I am trying to lean out and gain muscle. I have never been so strict with watching things so closely... but now that i'm trying to drop body fat i guess i have to. afterlooking at my daily logs it was apparent that i have to give up my fruit for now :(
    and yes i live on bacon and eggs, i don't do dairy ot legumes either. I work in an office/on the road... so besides paleo jerky and HB eggs. what kind of snacks do you take with you?
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Roll up deli-meats. (I would put cheese in them, but you don't do dairy)

Have you found beef jerky that is not made with sugar? If so, let me know what brands, please.
  • Smonks00
    Options
    Oh yes Paleo jerky. Www.stevesoriginal.com. Everything I buy from them is great!
    And thanks for the lunch meat idea. Do you get fresh shaved or ore packaged.
  • Smonks00
    Options
    Do you allow yourself more carbs on your workout days?
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I am trying to lean out and gain muscle. I have never been so strict with watching things so closely... but now that i'm trying to drop body fat i guess i have to. afterlooking at my daily logs it was apparent that i have to give up my fruit for now :(
    and yes i live on bacon and eggs, i don't do dairy ot legumes either. I work in an office/on the road... so besides paleo jerky and HB eggs. what kind of snacks do you take with you?
    You can eat some fruit - just don't overdo it. Berries are best, not more than a cup per day. They are low in sugar, and high in antioxidants. I have no problem including a cup a day and staying under 100g carbs.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do you allow yourself more carbs on your workout days?

Depends on how hard your workouts are. Normal workouts, I'd add some fat. If you are doing extreme, then some additional carbs might be needed if you 'hit the wall'. The carbs should be from leafy greens, though - not extra fruit.
  • AlaskaLily
    Options
    My carbs are set at 8%, and I hardly meet that in a 1400 cal daily diet. I am working on a 30 challenge and so I get my carbs from leafy greens (spinach, arugala, kale), 1 c. per day of other veggies (snap peas, tomato, broccoli), and peanuts/nut butter. I have never felt so amazing, and muscle is packing on like crazy.

Snacks: lots of HB eggs, turkey pepperoni, I allow 2 oz. cheese/day which helps, pre-cooked turkey bacon, meat roll ups. I also make chicken drumsticks ahead of time and much on those (thanks persephone!), and I often replace any small meal with 1 scoop of chocolate whey isolate! Also an amazing change of snack is:

-cut up vine ripe tomato,
    -1/2c. sliced green pepper,
    -1/4 feta
    -drizzled with cider vinegar and olive oil 2:1 mix. yummmmmmmmmy!
    (with a huge chunk of meat on the side :) )
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sort of in the same boat - trying to get my carbs down a bit and my protien up a bit...i am doing a 30 day and the past 2 weeks I would say my average carb has been about 75 - some days less other days more...I have been having 2 servings of fruit a day...usually berries (strawberries / blueberries) but occasionally an apple or a Larabar

This week I am trying to buckle down and have more protien and less carbs...I didn't bring any fruit to work with me today...rather i brought some extra jerky and for my snack - guacamole and some baby carrots.

My goal for this week is to hit 100 grams on protien and be under 60 grams of carbs a day...
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I hit 1 - 1.25 grams of protein per pound of LBM. And I keep my carbs under 150 grams (though I am 6'5" and 225 which correlates to roughly under 100 grams for a "normal" person).
  • cali_kid88
    cali_kid88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    on average I've been eating between 70-100 since I started tracking at the beginning of the year. I'm dropping that down to 25- 50 over the next few weeks to take my weight off faster.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't really count. I try not to have more than around 15g at any meal or snack. Total carbs since I rarely look at fiber content. Some days I have none at all. I just make sure not to go overboard at one meal because I have some insulin resistance and will feel the effects of anything that spikes my blood sugar.

Protein I strive for about 1g per pound of LBM also. I"m not a big exerciser right now. Winter made my lazy. I'm working on a weight routine, though. I'll increase this once I start lifting heavy.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Right now I am aiming for under 100 grams of carbs a day.. usually I come in at about 70. I am doing pretty well with it, that includes veggies, nuts, sugar in my coffee in the morning and once in while some fruit. I tried to LC- 25-50 grams of carbs a day but it made me crazy -looking for carbs everywhere to the point I had stopped eating vegetables lol and I wasn't losing weight. I figure what 's the point if it's not working. protein .. I have mine set at 100 grams but I rarely get that high.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to stay in the sweet spot of 50-100/day. They are set below that but I rarely eat less than 50. I am one of those folks that gets super agitated and depressed on a VLC diet.
  • Smonks00
    Options
    Thanks for the snack tips. Yes I have been going through eggs so quickly lately! i can eat 5 a day between breakast and snacks. The last 2 weeks I have been much better at keeping my CHO under 100 and my protein around 115. i am 6 feet tall and right now around 147 pounds. the last body fat test I did (water submerg thingy) said i was at 122 non fat :) I'm having a hard time telling if I'm packing on the muscle. women don't see muscle deffinition as quickly (i think) i have up'd my Crossfit work outs to 4-5 days a week... and i am focusing on heavier weights and not the fastes time. Thank you to everyone for your feed back! It's great to hear that others are out there tryign the same thign i am. It's hard sometimes, none of my friends, nor my husband do it. ( at least he is supportive) i get some flack from my closest friends. anyways. glad to hear from you all!!!

Thanks!
  • Smonks00
    Options
    OK so I got some info off of Mark's Daily apple. (if you are currently not reading it, you should. it's full of great stuff!)
    but anyways, he suggest eating 50 - 100 g/day for the 'Primal Sweet Spot for effortless weight loss.' along with eating .7-1 g of protien per lean body mass. i am struggling to hit both the numbers. I eat over on the carbs and under on the protein. And i thought i was close to the protein number. I know i could eat less fruit.

Does anybody else get close to these nubmers???? and how do you do it??

Thanks for the feed back everyone. i wanted to share with you all. In 8 weeks, i gained 1 pound on the scale, lost 5 pounds of fat, and gained 6 pounds of muscle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my body fat % went down almost 4%!!!!
    time to buy some new LuLu workout gear in my new size as a treat! thanks again everyone!