Oh wise ones

Options
Thank you so much for the suggestion to use a mixed grip on my deadlifts . . . made a HUGE difference through the remainder of my workout. :flowerforyou: :smooched:

Replies

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    mixed grip? as in one hand over and one hand under? curious because i have a hard time holding onto the bar. i just got some gloves, but i still had a hard time holding on long enough to finish a set.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    mixed grip? as in one hand over and one hand under? curious because i have a hard time holding onto the bar. i just got some gloves, but i still had a hard time holding on long enough to finish a set.

Yes, I bent down, wrapped my hands around that bar, felt the grip start to bite and thought "oh, *kitten*, I gotta flip one of these!" The result almost moved me to tears, it was so beautiful. After being frustrated for so long . . . I thought I was going to have to wipe that tear out of my eye, then realized it was sweat.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Yes, I bent down, wrapped my hands around that bar, felt the grip start to bite and thought "oh, *kitten*, I gotta flip one of these!" The result almost moved me to tears, it was so beautiful. After being frustrated for so long . . . I thought I was going to have to wipe that tear out of my eye, then realized it was sweat.
    thanks;i'll have to try that
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    CAUTION: You want to use a standard grip as you move up in weight. Use it until you can not anymore. If you strictly use a mixed grip, you will be cheating yourself of some good grip strength. I used to only be able to use standard grip up till around 300lbs. Yesterday i was able to use a standard grip all the way to 400.

Mixed is nice, but only use it for your maximal effort lifts.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    CAUTION: You want to use a standard grip as you move up in weight. Use it until you can not anymore. If you strictly use a mixed grip, you will be cheating yourself of some good grip strength. I used to only be able to use standard grip up till around 300lbs. Yesterday i was able to use a standard grip all the way to 400.

Ehh... I reverse the grip every set to make sure I'm still gaining grip strength.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You reverse grip on a dead lift? how much weight are you doing this at?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Ehh... I reverse the grip every set to make sure I'm still gaining grip strength.

This is what I was doing. 1st one left underhand, 2nd right underhand, etc. It was nice to be able to hold onto my lat pull down bar and dumbbells through the rest of my workout for a change. Saturday when I did my standard grip I couldn't finish my workout properly, I couldn't hand on to anything, had to drop all of my other weights just to get through it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

agree with this.

I actually forgot about mixed grip for a while & this made my regular grip strength much better. Then one day going for a max, the bar kept rolling. Switched to mix grip & all good :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    no gloves.
    use chalk.
    gloves are awful.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    no gloves.
    use chalk.
    gloves are awful.

I :heart: my calluses
  • BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

agree with this.

I actually forgot about mixed grip for a while & this made my regular grip strength much better. Then one day going for a max, the bar kept rolling. Switched to mix grip & all good :)

Thats it right there.

Forget the mixed grip except for max efforts. Let your grip get stronger. I too was good for up to 300, now im good for 400, and mixed grip for the one rep maxes.

And toss your gloves in the garbage. Chalk only please. Makes a world of difference.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

agree with this.

Thats it right there.

Forget the mixed grip except for max efforts. Let your grip get stronger. I too was good for up to 300, now im good for 400, and mixed grip for the one rep maxes.

And toss your gloves in the garbage. Chalk only please. Makes a world of difference.

Max effort lifts... meaning? The working set at the end? Or... wait until I can no longer progress at all without using a mixed grip? I use the mixed/alt grip for my working sets now that I'm lifting heavier than my body weight... is this bad?

I do Starting Strength Novice program... so 1x5 deadlifts working set. Should I use the regular for 4 reps and then alt for 5th? I mean, if I can use regular grip for 4 I can use it for the fifth.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you but save it for when you actually need it :)
  • BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you but save it for when you actually need it :)

Exactly. I don't need it until I am shooting for a one rep max.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    when your grip fails use lifting straps ,no calouses and you will lift heavier
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Eh for me when my grip fails that tells me I need stronger forearms, and crushing power, so I spend more time developing that. I'm kind of biased against gear though. Too many gear queers at my gym...
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

callouses are hot according to my girl friend. :laugh:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I had issues with this last night deadlifting. I could only get one of my 5 reps up. I didn't use the mixed grip... I really think it might be a matter of improving or strengthening the grip now. Going to try to stick with this for now.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Dont do this.

if you cant hold the bar its too heavy.

normal grip each session til you cant, then switch it up. It does not matter if this happens mid set either.
  • lukebyro
    lukebyro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use mixed grip on all regular stance dead lifts....no gloves, no hooks, no wrist wraps, and no shoes, just throw some chalk on your hands, grip the bar and pull making sure to keep your chest up and back straight.. I pull 550lbs and never have a problem keeping a good grip on the bar. As far as switching your grip depending on how heavy your lifting I don't agree with that. Sub max and max lifts should be done with the same form the only thing that should very is number of reps and/or the speed at which the weight moves (i.e. Explode from the floor with as much power as possible while maintaining good form.