feeling let down

Options
I am 8 weeks post op. I am struggling to get off this plateau. I have been stuck for about 3 weeks, fluctuating between 196 and 195. I saw my doctor last week and he said that I am not ready for a fill as I can go 4 hours with out being hungry. I am very frustrated. I have lost a total of 17 lbs which is pretty good but I am just starting to get very angry at not losing like I did at first. I have tried to increase my calories, decreasing my calories, increasing my exercise, just not sure what else to do. I have been looking for a free lap band support group in my area and all of the doctors want money to attend. That again is frustrating. I paid for my surgery and my doctor charges separate for the support group he offers. I feel like he is holding off on giving me a fill because I have 3 months of free post op visits. Once that is up I have to pay for the fills, $350.00. I feel totally let down right now and I know I am probably just feeling bad because I cannot get off this ()**&%^ plateau, but I feel angry about now. Please tell me this is normal.

Replies

• kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am not even 1 week off of the sleeve surgery. My doctor warned me that there would be plateus and the when they occur to increase my protein! He said, "Protein, Protein, Protein!" Muscle weighs more than fat and if you don't get enough protein you will lose muscle, but it doesn't weigh enough to make the scale move. And muscle is what burns fat, so you're losing your fat burners.

Pump in the protein, and your body won't need to take it from your exsisting muscles.

Hope that helps! I am still way early in this process, but I am a long term dieter!!

Best wishes,
    Lisa
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will add more protein and see how it goes.
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    my surgeon told me to expect a plateau around the 8-12 week mark.

have you measured your chest/belly/hips/bust/arms/thighs/calves? he also said to regularly measure because the pounds may not drop off but the inches will show progress.

also increase your protein and bump up your cardio! try a new exercise or aerobics class. hop on a bike and go for a spin...
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    heres an Idea, if you are up to it, start your own support group, seriously, place an ad, post online whatever, try it....free of charge.
    I have never heard of a doc charging for meetings, that is ludicriss (spell check there)

Good luck, soon you will leave the flatlands and hit those slopes.
  • lobang
    lobang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting your own support group! That is just plain old stupid! Or is there another group in the area that you can go to their meetings. In our group there is a girl that had her surgery elsewhere, but she comes to our group. Thats what the purpose is.....to support others, not make money off it! My dr. also has free visits for a year including fills (I'm a self-pay though) I am 12 weeks out from my band surgery and I have been stuck at my same weight for 2 weeks now , but I have a LOT more to lose than you. There should be NO reason for me to be stopping, but that is what happens. I have been losing inches but not as much weight for almost 3 weeks now, just this morning I saw a drop in over a lb. and a half so mine may be over! Happy day!
  • lbramsey
    lbramsey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree - up the protein and watch the carbs. This too shall pass! Good luck!
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am 6 weeks out from RNY surgery and have hit the dreaded plateau - I eat 900 cals/day with between 70-90g protein and exercising and I'm still stalled! I have increased fluid and now adding tsp of powdered protein to foods like cottage cheese, hot cereal and pudding. Now I wait! Not fun but this too shall pass!!!! (soon I hope) Good luck!
  • n3ll3jorn
    Options
    really needed to read this. I was just complaining that the scale is STUCK. My surgery was Dec.30 , 2011 and I had my first fill Feb 27 and still feel hungry. Especially from 3 pm till bed time. UGH! This sucks. My surgeon is an hour away and I can't get off of work to go get a fill. My office will start doing the fills and my boss said that it's all in my head and it's not time for a fill. What does she know??? I get so frusturated. BTW I am a RN and work for a doctor's office.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well, I am down to 191. which is still not good in my book but I will accept that I am not going to lose fast. As long as I am losing at this point I am happy. 3 lbs in 3 weeks is better than 0. I can also say that my clothes are starting to get lose, so losing inches too. It was just nicer to see the numbers on the scale.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    First of all banding is not a rapid weight loss...not for most it is steady and sustained...be patient.
    You don't want a fill if you do not need one because then you won't be able to keep food down. If you are full off of one cup of food for 4 hours you don't need a fill.
    Protein is key also eating 5 mini meals a day. have your snacks...and this will help your metabolism kick in.
    But really 50% -70%of excess wt in a year that is what is considered the goal..for someone who doesn't have more than 80lbs to lose (I don't know what your goal is)..but that is 40lbs in a year..you are doing great.
    The difference between this and a diet is..the wt is not going to come back..you'll have your band still when you get to goal so you won't have to go back to your old habits..you will still have the tool.
  • KCGFNP
    KCGFNP Posts: 8
    Options
    I didnt feel much restriction until I got to 5 ml in my band. That was like 4 fills later!! I'm in the same boat as you! It's depressing to have a long plateu. I'm post op since Nov 10, and only down 28 pounds!