Before you embark on this journey...

Options
DecemberNick
DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
I've been thinking about this group a lot and I want to help those new to this school of thought. There are some basic practices you should put in place before trying to increase the amount of calories you're eating. I'd argue that you should use them no matter what fitness or diet program you're on. My hope is that you have a positive experience and you apply the right strategy for yourself. I made a blog post about it that I'm going to copy/paste here...

"You are a health and fitness scientist"

I'm still relatively new to weight loss and good diet technique. From what I have seen, there are many schools of thought, lots of unfounded information, "conventional" wisdom and other assorted wild notions about how to lose weight. A lot of this information can help you, some of it may not but then even the helpful information may hurt you if you apply it wrong. What you need are tools to protect you and to teach you how to navigate this sea of information.

As a health and fitness scientist, facts are your weapons and you need to arm yourself. Record everything about yourself that you can. Since you're on MFP, the very least you are doing is recording your food. Record your exercise. Record your weight every day of the week in the morning (when you will see the least weight fluctuation). Calculate your TDEE and generate a diet goal based on it. Record your water consumption. Record your measurements once a week (chest, waist, etc.). If you have access to the tools, measure your body fat as well.

Now that you have this information, you are ready to experiment. You are going to test theories and use the facts as you collect them to either prove or disprove these theories. For an example, here is a new theory I may test:

"By eating 200 calories more a day, I am encouraging my metabolism to speed up so that I may have a leaner body mass."

Decide how long you will comfortably like to test this theory. One week or maybe two? You can decide for yourself but I would recommend going over at least a week since your body typically takes a bit of time to adapt to changes.

As your experiment runs, you are collecting information and you are analyzing the results and drawing conclusions. Has the extra 200 calories promoted weight loss? The scale says no but your old jeans or measurements says yes. See how the facts are there to support you? This is why you can't just do this off the cuff. If you were only monitoring your weight, you may run away scared without realizing that you were indeed burning fat, growing muscle and becoming more lean. Those are the very things the majority of us strive for!

On the flip side, you may find your experiment is going wrong. Your weight is up and so are your measurements, you are lethargic, unhappy, hungry, miserable and so on. You take the facts as you have them and either retreat to a theory that has worked before or you create a new one based on what you've learned in this latest experiment. You could adjust your calorie intake to only increase by 100 instead of 200. You could keep the same calorie intake but shift more of your nutrients to protein and carbs and away from fat.

The idea is that you have learned something from each experiment and you have reacted to it based on the facts. Your body is unique and it will not work the same as any other. How much you eat, how much you exercise, how much fat, protein or carbs, they're all your own. Don't be afraid that you aren't following someone else's meal or exercise plan to a T. You can't trust anyone to tell you the right answer to lose weight and look good. Follow advice where you think it will help, beware of weight loss fads and back up your judgements with facts (your own or collected from reputable sources).

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is so true, the only thing though I think you really need to give it at least 4-6 weeks when you finally do up your calories. Reason being if you have done the low cal thing for a long time the metabolism needs time to realize it is getting food, and will continue to get food consistently, to finally perk up. One week is not enough...one lady gained 10lbs the first week and it was the 2nd week that it came back off and then she started loosing consistently....man if I saw 10lbs I would just cry, but she held on knowing she didn't eat 35000 calories that week.

I actually lost 4lbs the first week, then gained back 3lbs over the next 3wks...so only had a net loss of 1lb in 4 weeks...some would say that was not a great loss/accomplishment, BUT, as you stated the measurements, the fat loss...those were visible and tangible...though the scale didn't move much. Also, overall I would say I have averaged about .4lbs or so, BUT again like you said the leaning out and the strength gained has been tremendous.

Now here I am stagnant again with the weightloss...I know I am not going to eat less...I decided to eat more because eating less doesn't work for me...lol.

I think if after 4wks if you haven't started loosing, but haven't gained either...I would keep at it for a while longer because obviously your body needs the food because you aren't gaining....then after 6wks, then I would cut maybe 100 calories to see what happens, but not before giving the metabolism a chance...the damage we do over extended periods needs time to self correct...
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great and informative post by both of you! I have learned a lot in the last 2 weeks. Now to adapt, learn, experiment and tweek it to fit me!
  • luna923
    luna923 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love finding these posts. I feel better already by feeding my body the fuel it needs. My depression is abating, my fatigue is going away, even the pain that I thought was the start of fibromyalgia is decreasing...and it's only been a few days! The scale is a scary place right now; but, by reading the insights and encouragement from this website, I am looking forward and pushing through.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I love finding these posts. I feel better already by feeding my body the fuel it needs. My depression is abating, my fatigue is going away, even the pain that I thought was the start of fibromyalgia is decreasing...and it's only been a few days! The scale is a scary place right now; but, by reading the insights and encouragement from this website, I am looking forward and pushing through.

Anne, now you know me...girl you have watched me at the gym... when you finally started to see me loosing was when I started eating...lol. Trust the system lady. I always say if anything else you have done isn't working, then try something new...it took me too long to finally try eating more...same with me...I was crabbier, felt weak, always felt tired...girl I get less sleep now and feel sooo much better!

So glad you are pushing through. Stay off the scale and take measurements....start pushing yourself in the weight lifting area...get in the free weights room Anne and work it!!!
  • Figment14300
    Options
    bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Now here I am stagnant again with the weightloss...I know I am not going to eat less...I decided to eat more because eating less doesn't work for me...lol.

Lucia- Have you tried monkeying with your macros? I think there are more diet adaptations that you could make other than just the calories.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Nick.

We must have been on the same though pattern, as I wrote a similar blog post a couple of weeks ago:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/-i-ve-tried-it-all-nothing-works-242919

It's definitely crucial to look at the process of ANY changes that we intend to make as a whole, so that we're fully prepared for what's to come....basically, look both ways before crossing the street. :tongue:

Kiki
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your wisdom, knowledge & sound advice!

In my own experience of over 40 years of dieting, I have found that PATIENCE is NOT my virtue! I would start a "diet" and get on that scale religiously and as long as I was seeing consistant losses, I was fine. Seeing anything different would send me into a tailspin and ultimate failure.

I believed the prevailing theory "of the moment"~ don't forget I got started in the 1970s with no computers~ and did what I was told would work. When it didn't, I'd have myself a good ole hissy fit and, you guessed it, ATE in anger and frustration.

I KNOW I am not the only one who has done this (and still does).

PATIENCE~ I hope I can summon mine as I go through this challenge of now Eating More to Weigh Less.

Thursdays are my weigh-in days and I promised myself I would stay off the scale for at least a month and I am proud to say that I did NOT get on the scale yesterday and the Earth did not implode!!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories and started doing strength training and I was unsure at first but im starting to feel better! I dont get moody and I am actually starting to grow some muscle! I have never ever had muscle before and it feels great! I refuse to weigh myself now and my new goal is body recomposition! I love being able to eat SO much I feel great because im full of healthy food and I dont even crave anything at all now!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories and started doing strength training and I was unsure at first but im starting to feel better! I dont get moody and I am actually starting to grow some muscle! I have never ever had muscle before and it feels great! I refuse to weigh myself now and my new goal is body recomposition! I love being able to eat SO much I feel great because im full of healthy food and I dont even crave anything at all now!!

That's great Sara! :D So happy that you're doing so well! Don't forget to post any non-scale victories in the NSV sticky thread.

There are going to be (hopefully) a lot of lonely scales out there lol
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The scientific method is a beautiful thing!

To articulate the current hypothesis I think many of us are testing:
    "If I work out strong (heavy weights) and get more protein (approaching 40/30/30) and eat closer to my TDEE - 15%, my body will lean out and eventually start losing, even if slowly."

That beats the heck out of: "I'll keep eating 1200 net and hope I lose weight, even though I haven't lost for four months now."

What's that famous Einstein quote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    thank you! I'm in the "researching" phase of EM2WL now although i've upped ever so slightly. I'm struggling now because:
    1.) im still loosing weight & inches on a low cal diet
    2.) I'm fearful that is i don't "do this right" I'll back pedal in a bad way and do more harm than good in respect to my goals...

but i really appreciate everyone who has "blazed the path" coming back around and sharing their wisdom!