Intros

Options

Replies

• SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Shayna. Just picked up a kettle bell tonight :) Super pumped to try it out.
  • Realtygal
    Realtygal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OMG! Karenhs2, what an inspiration you are! I learned about KBs watching an infomercial while I was awake during the night and I was immediately excited about the workout that looked like an effective workout that is lots of fun. I found my KB at TJMaxx and my KB workouts online and on YouTube (too cheap to buy the ones promoted on the infomercial), but I regret to say I've had everything I need for 3 wks and haven't started yet. I'm new to MFP this week and this Group is just what I needed for motivation. You are all so inspiring! I just turned 64 years young and lost 26 lbs and maintained it for 2 years until recently when I started creeping up and I just CAN'T have any of that! I'm looking forward to building muscle too to support my seriously osteoporotic bones!
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Mary - just turned 45 (ack!).

I'm getting back to my kettlebells after taking a break for a couple months.

I've been using the Anthony DiLuglio's Providence dvd and also Sarah Lurie's Iron Core dvds.

Now that I'm back doing it - it makes me wonder why I took the break to try something else???
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi all

My name is Fran and I'm 34 and from Manchester, UK.

I've just taken the plunge and bought a set of cast iron kettlebells (4kg + 8kg + 10kg). I bought Kettlebells for Dummies book written by RKC Instructon, Sarah Curie. It's good but a lot of info to take in for a beginner!

I'm looking at DVDs and see she has also done a set of 3 DVDs, Iron Core. Can't get them in the UK at the moment although the first 2 volumes are available in UK format on eBay. Are they the best out there or are there other equally good ones?

I've seen one on Amazon UK called Kettlercise for Women but not sure if it's well regarded. A lot of people seem to be very anti Kettleworx and Kettlenetics so wasn't sure if this falls into the same category?

Great to have a group of people who all use kettlebells to interact with :-)
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Franny,

I'd look at Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel. There's a DVD and a book. If you can afford it get both. He covers the basics VERY well and he is one of the main guys who brought kettlebell training to the U.S., (very strong presence in the UK too).

You might also look at Keith Weber's Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout DVD. There's a volume 2 also and they really kick your butt. He's RKC trained by the way.

Good luck in your practice!

Peter
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Hi Franny,

I'd look at Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel. There's a DVD and a book. If you can afford it get both. He covers the basics VERY well and he is one of the main guys who brought kettlebell training to the U.S., (very strong presence in the UK too).

You might also look at Keith Weber's Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout DVD. There's a volume 2 also and they really kick your butt. He's RKC trained by the way.

Good luck in your practice!

Peter

Thanks Peter, that's really helpful. I'm keen to get a DVD from a proper RKC instructor and not just a celebrity trying to cash in on the kettlebell scene. I'll check both those DVDs out if I can get hold of them.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Mastering the HardStyle Kettlebell Swing by Mark and Tracy Reifkind is a good DVD for the swing, which is the most basic of all kettlebell exercises and the place any RKC will tell you to start. Mark is a Master RKC, and Tracy is also an RKC.

The DVD is expensive on Amazon (about $35 USD), but if you can't afford to hire an RKC to teach you in person, I think this is a good substitute.

I second the Enter the Kettlebell recommendation. I have the book and DVD, and it has helped me a lot in terms form, focus, and just having the right mental attitude about training. It is frustrating at times because Pavel recommends building up your skills very slowly, and sometimes I wanted to rush through all of it. But it's definitely better in the long run to build a solid foundation.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've been using the Skogg KB system for over three weeks now and Love. It. I've done P90X before and was looking for something that was just as intense but not so dang long. Kettleworx always gets good reviews but I am not fond of the cut and paste videos..plus the guy who makes the Skogg system lives in Portland just north of me so it was nice to support the "local" guy. The progam takes basic moves and build on them which is nice..and you do a different dvd each day so its something different to look forward to every day when I get home and put the work out clothes on.

Currently I am using an 8 kg bell right now and for the time being I won't need to increase the weight...though I see this happening in about a month or so. Its nice to find a group who is posting many other suggestions, I will look into them as well as this is a 12 week course.

Cheers!
    Lacey
  • worthystyle
    Options
    My name is Whitney. I'm 26 years old, and I live in Richmond, VA.

I first learned about kettlebells about 4 years ago when I started dating my now-fiance. He is a law enforcement officer and uses kettlebells all the time for fitness. He never told me about it until I walked into our work gym and he was swinging those things all over the place (really, just doing a basic swing) and pools of sweat were on the mat. As soon as I admitted some interest he was very excited and immediately got me a basic pair of 12kg to start.

My biggest issue is I have a bad habit of pre-existing conditions sidelining me for a long period of time and so then I am medically forced to be inactive for unknown periods of time. We are getting married this Fall, and I want to get back to my ideal weight. I know kettlebells provide a wonderful workout and it is such a good cardio routine to have.

I am currently starting back with the basics as I don't want to go too far too fast. I am reintroducing my body to the Turkish getup, swing, snatches, and squats. After doing that for a few weeks, I will pick up with Master RKC Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell book and DVD for probably a month or until I plateau, and then I will go to RKC Andrea DuCane's The Kettlebell Goddess book and DVD. I hope by then to be able to use a 16kg with no issue.:smile:

One of the things I noticed is that myfitnesspal does not have ANY kettlebell pre-entered in the exercise section for the exercise diary. That really surprised me. I guess I thought it was more mainstream by now. It is kind-of frustrating there is not more support - mainstream - for kettlebell users, especially women so I am so glad this group is on here!
  • worthystyle
    Options
    Pavel is so awesome. He really is my hero in many ways. I have an older military friend of my fiance's who had chronic back problems until he did Pavel's program and now he can function much better than before. It has gotten him off of pain meds! He just needed back strengthening!
  • worthystyle
    Options

I also find that kettlebells really help with addressing lower back pain and improving total body conditioning. I either train at home or take my kettlebells to the local running track and do high intensity circuits mixing sprints with kettlebells.

Pete, you are so right about kettlebells helping with lower back pain. They really make a huge difference on the body.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Tina, aged 37, 150lbs (GW: 130lbs)

I have the Kettleworx Dvds and own a 8KG & 16KG Kettlebell I have just started to introduce this exercise into my routine. I am currently doing heavy Compound Lifting 5x5 3 days per week and do Kettlebell twice per week. Today I did a 40 minute session and burnt 383 cals (I sweated buckets) and really enjoy the swings (which I do 4 x 1min) and various other exercises.

I will be looking up different exercises in books and the Web to increase my repertoire.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've been using the Skogg KB system for over three weeks now and Love. It. I've done P90X before and was looking for something that was just as intense but not so dang long. Kettleworx always gets good reviews but I am not fond of the cut and paste videos.

I totally agree with this comment...the repetitiveness is horrendous!!! (when you move on to a different DVD but,....no, its the same bloomin exercises in the majority of the DVDs) it really dumbs down the whole box set. Hence I would welcome any suggestions for good books, Dvds or Youtube videos anyone could recommend :))
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi all

My name is Fran and I'm 34 and from Manchester, UK.

I've just taken the plunge and bought a set of cast iron kettlebells (4kg + 8kg + 10kg). I bought Kettlebells for Dummies book written by RKC Instructon, Sarah Curie. It's good but a lot of info to take in for a beginner!

I'm looking at DVDs and see she has also done a set of 3 DVDs, Iron Core. Can't get them in the UK at the moment although the first 2 volumes are available in UK format on eBay. Are they the best out there or are there other equally good ones?

I've seen one on Amazon UK called Kettlercise for Women but not sure if it's well regarded. A lot of people seem to be very anti Kettleworx and Kettlenetics so wasn't sure if this falls into the same category?

Great to have a group of people who all use kettlebells to interact with :-)

I've got the Iron Core dvd set. It includes her Iron Core Volume One and Volume Two workouts, which are great for learning the basics. It also has a Boot Camp workout and 2 Warrior workouts.

I don't know if they are the "best" but in my opinion they are pretty good. I use the Boot Camp and Warrior dvds which go through 4 rounds of 5 or so exercises with a break in between each round and then an abs section at the end. For the Warrior 2 workout you would need 2 kettlebells of equal weight.

The downside is each workout is essentially the same exercises in each round, repeated 4 times. If you have the discipline to come up with a workout on your own you could easily do it without the dvd. I like having a dvd to work along with though to reduce the temptation to say "That's enough for today".

There is also a ton of information and instructional videos on www.artofstrength.com.
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi My name is Natasha and today was my first day using the KB. I can really tell I'm going to enjoy it once I get the moves down packed. I have the Jillian Shed it with weights that I'm going to try for awhile. Wow I didnt know so many people used the KB but I'm gladI found his group
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    Bump
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Hi Natasha, welcome to the world of kettlebells. I'm still new to them myself and trying to get good form, but I really enjoy it, much more than I ever did with resistance machines at the gym or just dumbells :)

Thanks LuckyFred for the advice, I got Volume 1 of the Iron Core Way to see what I thought, and I really enjoyed it and it was good that it kept reminding you on your form which is good as I'm still learning. I have now ordered Vols 2 & 3, it's a newer version packaging but I believe the DVDs themselves are the same (hopefully). Only thing is there's only 1 circuit on the DVD and I'd have preferred 2 or 3 so I can mix it up. However, I reckon I'll only need them for a few weeks so I can get the moves and form straight in my head, then I'll make up my own programmes or research it online. The book she did is good too and has a number of Beginner and Advanced workouts so I could use those too.

Couldn't find Enter the Kettlebell DVD in the UK - still on the lookout...
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Couldn't find Enter the Kettlebell DVD in the UK - still on the lookout...
    Franny,

Try amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enter-Kettlebell-Strength-Secret-Supermen/dp/0938045695

That's the book. Private seller is selling the DVD for about £30.

Good luck.
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been using KBs for a couple of years - for the past year working weekly with an RKC trainer. LOVE them!! Tracy Reifkind is awesome - she has several videos on youtube and several for sale on Amazaon or through dragondoor.com. I hope this board becomes more active!

Glad to meet fellow KBers!
  • alexanderjardim
    alexanderjardim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey people,

I am from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. There are not many KB'lers here. I don't know anyone that does it for instance. I have being working out with KB's for 2 years. Now I am trying to get in shape and taking my workout seriously.