1 1/2 cups canned unsalted tomato sauce
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
    1/4 cup shredded CoJack (Colby and Monterey Jack) cheese
    Directions

Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.

Spray a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, saute the chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salsa, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black beans and corn. Stir thoroughly and cook until heated through. Add the pasta and gently toss to mix evenly.

Divide the pasta between individual plates. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
    Serving size: About 1.5 cups
    Calories 237 Cholesterol 44 mg
    Protein 19 g Sodium 325 mg
    Carbohydrate 29 g Fiber 5 g
    Total fat 5 g Potassium 336 mg
    Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 76 mg
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g

To reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe, use homemade salsa instead of store-bought salsa. To make the salsa, combine chopped fresh tomatoes, diced onions and peppers, cilantro and fresh lime juice.
  • branflake5
    Options
    Healthy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
    Ingredients:

For Stew:

1 lb. chicken, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
    1 medium carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
    1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    to taste black pepper
    1 pinch ground cloves
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups water
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas

For Cornmeal Dumplings:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
    3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup lowfat milk
    1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions:

To prepare stew:

1. Place chicken, onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, cloves, bay leaf, and water in large saucepan. Heat to boiling. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.

2. Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Strain broth.

3. Skim fat from broth. Measure and, if necessary, add water to make 3 cups liquid.

4. Add cornstarch to 1 cup of cooled broth and mix by shaking vigorously in jar with tight-fitting lid.

5. Pour mix into saucepan with remaining broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid comes to boil and is thickened.

6. Add basil, peas, and reserved vegetables to sauce. Stir to combine.

7. Add chicken and heat slowly to boiling while preparing cornmeal dumplings.

To prepare dumplings:

1. Put cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt into large mixing bowl.

2. Mix milk and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten flour and evenly distribute liquid. Dough will be soft.

3. Drop by full tablespoons on top of stew. Cover saucepan tightly. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to simmering, and steam for about 20 minutes. Do not lift cover.

Yield: 6 servings
    Serving size: 1 1/4 cups stew with 2 dumplings

Each serving provides:

Calories: 301
    Total fat: 6 g
    Saturated fat: 1 g
    Cholesterol: 43 mg
    Sodium: 471 mg
    Total fiber: 5 g
    Protein: 24 g
    Carbohydrates: 37 g
    Potassium: 409 mg
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Serves 4

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked whole-wheat rigatoni
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each 4 ounces, cut into cubes
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 1/2 cups canned unsalted tomato sauce
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
    1/4 cup shredded CoJack (Colby and Monterey Jack) cheese
    Directions

Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.

Spray a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, saute the chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salsa, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black beans and corn. Stir thoroughly and cook until heated through. Add the pasta and gently toss to mix evenly.

Divide the pasta between individual plates. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.

Serving size: About 1.5 cups
    Calories 237 Cholesterol 44 mg
    Protein 19 g Sodium 325 mg
    Carbohydrate 29 g Fiber 5 g
    Total fat 5 g Potassium 336 mg
    Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 76 mg
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g

To reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe, use homemade salsa instead of store-bought salsa. To make the salsa, combine chopped fresh tomatoes, diced onions and peppers, cilantro and fresh lime juice.

This one looks super yummy!!!
  • branflake5
    Options
    that one is southwest chicken pasta, I just noticed I forgot the name of it:)
  • branflake5
    Options
    Zucchini "Fries" Recipe

Ingredients:

3 medium zucchini
    1 large egg white
    2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
    Misto or other olive oil cooking spray
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    Fresh ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425°.
    2. Chop the zucchini up into the size "fries" you want.
    3. Whisk the egg white in a bowl with the garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. Pour the Panko into a ziploc bag.
    4. Spray a baking sheet with your olive oil spray. Coat the zucchini sticks in the egg white mixture, then place in the ziploc bag and shake bag to coat the sticks with Panko. Place the breaded sticks on the baking sheet in a single layer. Spray the tops of the breaded sticks as well.
    5. Bake for 20-25 minutes and serve hot with marinara sauce.

Nutritional Information:
    Makes 4 servings, each serving is:
    Calories: 92
    Carbs: 14
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 4
    Fiber: 3
    Sodium: 161
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    PARMESAN CRUSTED TILAPIA (saw this posted... it looked fab... so i stole it!! going to try it with my swai fish)

Link to original recipe (has step by step pictures) - http://greenlitebites.com/2007/12/29/crispy-baked-parmesan-crusted-tilapia/
    Per 4oz fillet
    Calories: 134............Carbs: 2............Fiber: 1............Fat: 5
    .Protein: 23................Sugar: 0............Sodium: 193

4 - 4oz Tilapia fillets
    1/2 cup (30g) Fiber One Cereal (or All Bran)
    1/4 cup (20g) Parmesan Cheese
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    Salt & Pepper I did not salt to cut back on sodium
    Non-stick cooking spray

Preheat the broiler
    1) Place the cereal, Parmesan cheese, and spices, in a blender or food processor to make the breading.

2) Season the fish with salt & pepper. Dip the fillets in breading to coat. The fish is normally moist enough for the breading to stick without the use of egg. Of course, you could dip it if you like. I didn't want to use egg, so I just light sprayed my fish with the non-stick cooking spray, and that worked

3) Spray a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray, Place fillets on sheet and spray tops with non-stick cooking spray.

4) Broil the fish 2 racks from the top for about 3-4 minutes a side.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Orange Rosemary Chicken

Dietitian's tip:
    Rosemary — an herb with a piney flavor — can season a variety of foods including roasted potatoes, mushrooms, stuffing, ripe melon, poultry and meats. Use the herb with care, however. Too much can be overpowering.
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Serves 6

Ingredients

3 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, each 8 ounces
    3 skinless, bone-in chicken legs with thigh pieces, each 8 ounces
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, minced
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/3 cup orange juice
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly coat a baking pan with cooking spray. Rub each piece of chicken with garlic. Dab fingers in oil and rub with oil, and sprinkle with rosemary and pepper. Place the chicken pieces in the baking dish. Pour the orange juice over the chicken. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Using tongs, turn the chicken and return to the oven until browned, about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Baste the chicken with the orange juice from the pan as needed to prevent it from drying out. Transfer the chicken to individual serving plates. Spoon orange juice from the pan over the top of the chicken and serve immediately.

Calories 204 Cholesterol 99 mg
    Protein 31 g Sodium 134 mg
    Carbohydrate 2 g Fiber 0 g
    Total fat 8 g Potassium 433 mg
    Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 15 mg
    Monounsaturated fat 3 g    
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hey All, this comes from my good friend's blog... She is vegan now so there is no dairy. It's pretty low in calories, but I'm sure I'd be adding some Parmesan cheese at the end! :D She's got some other great recipes and cooking tips and other general fitness and healthy things. She comes from a restaurant background and is becoming a dietitian... http://www.thecompleterecipe.com/

~ Sherie

Mushroom Risotto

This dish takes approximately 25 minutes of attentive cooking time but it is totally worth it.

For The Mushrooms
    2 T First Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 Cups of sliced Baby Portabello Mushrooms
    Pinch of Salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet and add the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms cook for 3 to 5 minutes until soft and set aside.

For the Risotto
    2 T First Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 T of Finely Chopped Garlic
    1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
    2 1/2 cups Organic Mushroom Stock (Pacific Brand)
    1 1/2 cups Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock (Pacific Brand)
    1 cup fresh filtered water
    1/4 cup of Fresh Chopped Parsley

In a saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add rice and stir well. Add the mushroom stock and stir until water is absorbed. Add Vegetable stock 1/2 cup at a time until it is completely absorbed. Add water 1/2 cup at at time until almost completely absorbed.
    Fold in the mushrooms and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    woops posted the bottom one twice sorry...
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Creamed Tuna & Peas on Toast! (with egg)

Okay, for some reason I always have this as a "dinner" meal & never breakfast =P

Butter, 1 Tbsp
    All Purpose Flour, 2 Tbsp
    2% Milk, 1 cup
    Light Chunk Tuna Packed In Water, 1 can
    Sweet Peas - No Salt Added, 0.5 container
    White Bread, 2 slices
    Egg 4

That will make enough for two! =)

This info is for one:
    Calories: 438 Sugar: 12 Sodium: 624 Sat Fat: 6 Fiber: 5 Calcium: 24
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Thai Curry (I like Rachael Ray's recipe but there are a million variations..I use chicken or tofu and pair with brown rice)

2 tablespoons vegetable or other light oil, (eyeball it)
    1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
    6 ounces, about 1/3 pound, shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
    1-inch ginger root, peeled and grated or finely chopped
    4 scallions, chopped into 1-inch pieces, whites and greens
    Salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons mild or hot red curry paste
    2 roasted red peppers, sliced
    1 cup "light" or unsweetened coconut milk
    1 cup frozen peas

Heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat. Add shrimp and toss 2 minutes then add the mushrooms, garlic, ginger, scallions, salt and pepper and cook 3-4 minutes more tossing constantly. Stir in curry paste, roasted red pepper and coconut milk and reduce heat to low. Simmer a few minutes then stir in peas to heat through.

I couldn't get a solid calorie count but with the light coconut milk it's very friendly.
  • starcrystal3
    starcrystal3 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cooking and trying new, healthy recipes! Here's one I posted on my blog a couple weeks back:

Healthy Black Bean-Hominy Chili from USA Weekend - Cook Smart
    Great recipe we made for dinner tonight! I used lower-sodium varieties of everything and it turned out delicious :)

Ingredients:

1 quart good quality vegetable broth
    1 can (14.5 ounces) petite-diced tomatoes
    1 generous TB vegetable oil
    1 med-large onion, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    3 TB chili powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    2 cans (15.5 ounces each) drained black beans
    2 cans (15 ounces each) drained hominy
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

Microwave broth and tomatoes in a microwave-safe container on high power until steamy hot, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven or small soup kettle over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers; saute until soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and oregano: saute until fragrant, a minute or so. Add beans and hominy along with hot broth mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer, partly covered , until vegetables are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes. Stir in garlic, chocolate and cilantro and simmer a couple of minutes to blend flavors. Turn off heat and let stand a few minutes if there's time. Adjust seasonings and serve.

Makes 4-6 servings.

Per Serving for 4: 475 calories, 80g carbohydrates, 16g protein, 10g fat (2 g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 21g dietary fiber, 2,009mg sodium
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Tuna cakes

300 g Sweet potato (about 1 med potato)
    2 cans Chicken of the Sea - Chunk Light Tuna In Water (7oz),
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
    2tbs Parsley
    1tbs olive oil

Cook and mash the sweet potato. Drain the tuna. Mix it all together except for the oil. Divide into 8 cakes and fry in a hot pan with the olive oil.

Total calories: 949
    Per Serving: 119

Now, I did add a bit of fresh cracked Pepper, Paprika, and Adobo. I had mine plain but I am thinking of making these miniature for a party and making a dipping sauce! Maybe something with a little cayenne to give it a kick. the sweetness of the potato with the tuna was surprisingly good.
  • theresabugx
    theresabugx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Tuna cakes

300 g Sweet potato (about 1 med potato)
    2 cans Chicken of the Sea - Chunk Light Tuna In Water (7oz),
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
    2tbs Parsley
    1tbs olive oil

Cook and mash the sweet potato. Drain the tuna. Mix it all together except for the oil. Divide into 8 cakes and fry in a hot pan with the olive oil.

Total calories: 949
    Per Serving: 119

Now, I did add a bit of fresh cracked Pepper, Paprika, and Adobo. I had mine plain but I am thinking of making these miniature for a party and making a dipping sauce! Maybe something with a little cayenne to give it a kick. the sweetness of the potato with the tuna was surprisingly good.

oooo, these sound great. I love crab cakes but havent had them in years ( i assume they are bad for you) ill have to try these thanks