Weight loss on ketosis?

Options
Kelly_1981
Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
Hello all,

I have a question I have been testing positive for ketosis all week now I just got my TOM 2 days ago so I have not lost any weight and I am fine with that BUT I had a question do you always lose weight while in ketosis?

The day before my TOM started I measured my waist and I had lost 2 inches!!! I was chuffed so I am not too worried what the scale says as long as the belly keeps going LOL.

What is your weight loss like when you are in ketosis?

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    You will eventually lose noticable weight in ketosis. Being in ketosis is when your body is using your fat as energy, versus carbs. The longer you are in ketosis, the longer your body will burn its own fat, you will start seeing the weight loss.
    Don't worry about the scale, keep measuring...
  • rsouthland
    Options
    I can't really comment on the TOM portion of this, but I wanted to say that I agree completely with Angelapolite. Don't rely on the scale to tell the whole picture, especially if you exercise. You'll find more truth in the story that a tape measure will tell. Keep measuring.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've gone weeks or months with no difference on the scale while in ketosis, but my clothes start falling off, that's evidence enough for me. While the scale not moving can be frustrating, at the end of the day if you fit into the clothes you want, look good (or at least decent LOL) naked, would it matter of the scale still said that you were "overweight"?
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you all xx
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    There is no guarantee of weight loss in ketosis. While restricting carbs to the point of ketosis makes it easier for most people to create a caloric deficit through instinctive eating patterns, you could certainly overeat fat and gain weight. But overeating fat just isn't as rewarding to the body as overeating tasty carbs.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you are in ketosis?
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I always lose in Ketosis, but when I'm on my period I slow or stall till it's over.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    There is no guarantee of weight loss in ketosis. While restricting carbs to the point of ketosis makes it easier for most people to create a caloric deficit through instinctive eating patterns, you could certainly overeat fat and gain weight. But overeating fat just isn't as rewarding to the body as overeating tasty carbs.

Your opinion!
  • superstankazz
    Options
    How do you know if you are in ketosis?
    You have to test your urine with ketosticks. You can get them at the drug store or pharmacy:)
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I stay as far away from the scales as possible. It triggers me. I pay more attention to how my clothing fits. When I start getting into my "tiny clothing", I measure myself far, far away from TOM. At times, I also stay away from the tape measure, too.

Three years ago, I went to the doctor's and I weighted three pounds more than the scales at home and at the gym five pounds more than at the doctor's. I get easily obsessed then weighing myself every couple of hours.

Just last week, I measured my waist and hips (prior to TOM). My waist was 28" and my hips were 36". Two days after TOM, which I always thought was safe, I measured myself and my waist was 30" and my hips were 39"????? :noway:

Yesterday my waist was 27.5" and my hips were 36.5" :huh: Did gravity move that half inch?

I'm always in Ketosis...always. When I have a couple of Irish stouts my ketosis stick is pale the next day, the following day , I have found that I've dropped two pounds.

What I'm trying to say is that nothing is precisely going to happen within a couple of days of ketosis or food/drink intake. It might be a week before things start showing up. The scales are dependent on too many factors. I find that even the measuring tape is not entirely accurate either at specific times of the month.

It's not a day by day experience, nor even a week by week experience. When doing a low carb diet, I believe it's more of a month by month experience. It took me a long time to figure that out....like months and months and I have to relearn it again when ever I put on these pesky "merriment" pounds over the Christmas season. (Happened twice now in 12 years).

You're doing great!

Therefor:

Be strong, carry on....My motto now. :flowerforyou:
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`ve been trying for ketosis for over a month now...Wife said i smell like i am.. :( but the sticks say i`m not...I`ve read about people not showing up as positive with the keto sticks...Is there a reason for this?
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I`ve been trying for ketosis for over a month now...Wife said i smell like i am.. :( but the sticks say i`m not...I`ve read about people not showing up as positive with the keto sticks...Is there a reason for this?
    If you are drinking large amounts of water before before you test, the concentration of ketones may be diluted in your urine.
  • jonski1968
    Options
    Nope i do the test 1st thing in the morning...
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Nope i do the test 1st thing in the morning...
    I have read somewhere that whey powder causes insulin spikes and prevents ketosis. Not sure if it's true but it may be worth looking into:)
  • jonski1968
    Options
    If thats the case...I have protein before bed and with my breakfast...I`ll just have to rely on the tape measure..
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I first started low carbing, I went into ketosis, purple. Now that I have been doing this for a month, I am barely in "trace". I do drink lots of water, but I check first thing in the morning. I have stopped testing every day, now just like once a week, and still just in "trace". I keep my net carbs around 20 and the scale isn't moving. Haven't lost any inches this week, either. It can get discouraging. This is where I have always quit in the past. I am in 6th place in our Biggest Loser contest at work. It is week 8 of 10 weeks. I really want to lose more before it's done! I have lost 9 lbs since the beginning of February. Anyone have any ideas?? Am I still in ketosis (still burning ketos for energy)??

16621806.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jasoe
    jasoe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ditto! (your opinion)
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    Sometimes when I test I'm dark, other times I'm lighter/trace. But I can tell I'm in Ketosis, by my mood, my cravings, and the metalic taste in my mouth.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    keto is keto is keto. Trace or high numbers, if you are in you are in. Really, you don't want the dark purple, it can point to being dehydrated.

People testing negative when they know they've kept their carbs in 'keto range' for a while, you can spill ketones through sweat, breath and urine. The strips show extra ketones. It means you don't have extras, it doesn't mean you aren't in keto.
  • craZNblu23
    craZNblu23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you're drinking LOTS of water (like you should!) you are not likely to get much if any of a reading on the sticks. Review what you're eating/drinking and make sure no carbs are sneaking where they shouldn't be. If you're sure you aren't accidentally consuming sugar in your foods (check your ingredients lists) and your mouth feels very dry hence drinking even MORE water, you probably are in ketosis and just can't get a good reading on the sticks. (My own personal experience)