Any Turtles here (ssuuuppper slow joggers)??

Options
starchile
starchile Posts: 248 Member
Hey all!

So, I just finished W6D3 tonight and I basically "jog" at the pace of someone walking "at a moderate pace" according to MFP...basically the treadmill is set to about 3.1 MPH if I understand correctly that's a little less than a 20 minute mile. lol.

Granted, I'm over 300lbs and I've NEVER been a runner so I'm fine with this, but I was just wondering if anyone else out there is doing the program at about this rate and wanted to support each other.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to LOG this in MFP...the slowest "jog" they have is 5mph--that is obviously I alot faster than I'm going but then logging my jog as a "walk" just doesn't seem to credit me enough burned calories! And believe me, moving this 5'10/338 lb body into jogging movements (no matter how slow) for 25 minutes is a SERIOUS workout! LOL

=)

Replies

• catrose66
    catrose66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 feet tall and 4mph on the treadmill is a jog for me. Maybe as more weight comes off the speed will pick up. Being short I'm not so sure. Search the internet about your calorie burn during your workout. Hopefully there may be a website where you can type in your height and weight with your activity to get a more accurate calorie burn. I just googled calorie burn calculator and there are several websites out there. I start week7 on Wednesday.
  • starchile
    Options
    HI Catrose: thanks for the info. Yeah, I tried to do an internet search but the ones I found didn't do "Jogging" as slow as 3mph...only walking! LOL. But I'll look some more.

Hey congratulations on your 60lb loss! That's awesome!
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5foot 4inches and around 145 and...for me between 3.5 and 5.0 (depending on the day) is my max for the run/jog part of the training. I am just NOT a runner. I am working my way there. I do yoga mainly, and have never been very athletic. So this is totally new to my body. I am proud to say, I am a turtle :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Super slow here....especially now that I'm in weeks 6 and 7...
  • chiltonenator
    chiltonenator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Slow here. 15:33 min/mile, which is 3.9 mph. I'm on week 8 now, and was doing it by time, but was only going about 2 miles in the 28 minutes so I started doing it by distance. Last run was 2.38 miles, today will be somewhere around 2.5. As far as logging it in MFP, I just set up my own category and put in the calories burned - I have a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I burn so it's easy. Doing 2.38 miles at 15:33 m/m burned up 283 calories - then I also walked for another 2 miles which burned more calories.

I'm mostly doing this to lose weight, so I don't care how fast I go, just that I'm burning calories.
  • cupcake26
    cupcake26 Posts: 11
    Options
    i do 3.0 mph on the walking portion and 4.0-4.1 on the running portion. I've always felt kind of slow - but I've made it to week 5 by keeping this slow and steady mentality. I can increase my speed later :)
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow jogger as well. I'm just starting back after being away for a while. I'm only going 4 miles an hour. That's about as fast as this old, tired, over 250-pound body can handle. But...it won't be like this forever, so that makes me smile!! :)
  • monharri
    monharri Posts: 78
    Options
    im a turtle too. in fact, this fast runner past me in the park today and i was like how in the world does he do it. i don't pay too much attention to my time. i'm just happy i'm able to jog for 30 mins straight now, a far cry from w here i was 2 months ago.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i do 3.0 mph on the walking portion and 4.0-4.1 on the running portion. I've always felt kind of slow - but I've made it to week 5 by keeping this slow and steady mentality. I can increase my speed later :)

This, exactly, for me too (or close enough, I "run" at 4.2 mph). Once I can keep my feet running I'll work on moving them faster. Or farther. I'm ok with that -- so proud of myself for doing it at all!
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hey the first time I did c25k I was around 289lbs and I was averaging about a 16 min mile. Running slow is not a crime haahaha remember youre running faster than all those sitting on the couch ! I had to stop because of an injury to my hip joints (bursitis caused by running with access weight ugh) and just started up again today

Im still not fast- but after a 5 month hiatus I ran 4.2 km today at a 13 min mile ( so around 4.5mph). Still not that fast but proof positive that you can get faster- its hard to move really fast carrying all the extra weight. Im 224 now and even though im no speed demon i could still feel the difference in my speed and form!

keep it up girl! youre rocking it!
  • lindsayleigh82
    Options
    I love that "running faster than everyone sitting on the couch"! So true. The fact is right now I can only do what I can do and that is 3.2 walking and 4.1 jogging. It will improve with time and persistance but the fact that we are all trying our best is the point and the beauty of it that we have nobody to impress and satisfy but ourselves. As long as I know I am showing up and trying my best nobody can ask more from me or anyone else. Sometimes running can seem like an elite kind of thing and people expect you to seek their approval as running experts, I'm just putting one foot infront of the other the best I can.
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am a turtle and proud of it!!!!

I started at C25K in January and I was barely able to jog the 60 seconds and now I do 20 minutes easily! :) I am SO proud of myself and I am proud of you! It is hard!

We can work on our speed when we are skinny! :)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think I jog slowerbthan I walk!!
  • starchile
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Such great advice and it feels great to know that I'm not alone!!!

@mindyhenry: YES!!! I definitely can WALK faster than 3.1 MPH. I was noticing a lot of people saying that they speed up quite a bit when they jog so I'm glad you said that!!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi Starchile

If you log your run you can actually click on the calories burned and adjust them I use a HRM and my readings are no where near to what MFP or the treadmill says so i adjust accordingly
    Oh and by the way biggest Turtle here started off at 315Lb and very slow I'm up now to 6.5KPH that's 4.04MPH :bigsmile:
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I run outside, so I don't understand treadmill speeds :) I run anywhere from 8.33-9.20 per KM. Which I believe is SUPER slow.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am at the 300lb mark and I do 3.0/4.5 but I have upped it this week to 3.2/4.5 to try and bridge the gap - good luck!