Stronglifts 5x5 and Women

Options
I decided I would do the Stronglifts program.
I have only lifted free weights occasionally and used the machines a few times.

When I went to the gym today to begin I received so many negative looks and stares in the free weights section AKA the MEN'S section, I felt incredibly uncomfortable and the gym worker there was less than willing to help me, I don't think he believed I should be there, he told me barbell rows were ADVANCED and almost didn't let me do them, I did them and he said I did fine, he also didn't expect me to lift much at all.

I'm not sure if they have an Olympic bar but I was kinda bummed I got the stubby barbell with affixed weights on the end... Can I still use this or?

He also said I shouldn't bench press to below my breasts, to the middle, this is not what the Stronglifts program advises...
He thought I hadn't been written a program because of what I was proposing to do, my program was all cardio, machines and crunches!!

How does everybody else deal with this?
I tried talking to my Mum but she doesn't even want me to do weights, she believes in all of the myths so doesn't really care if I'm upset about the negative reactions.

Feeling fairly alone here, so anything will help :).

Replies

• molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I decided I would do the Stronglifts program.
    I have only lifted free weights occasionally and used the machines a few times.

When I went to the gym today to begin I received so many negative looks and stares in the free weights section AKA the MEN'S section, I felt incredibly uncomfortable and the gym worker there was less than willing to help me, I don't think he believed I should be there, he told me barbell rows were ADVANCED and almost didn't let me do them, I did them and he said I did fine, he also didn't expect me to lift much at all.

I'm not sure if they have an Olympic bar but I was kinda bummed I got the stubby barbell with affixed weights on the end... Can I still use this or?

He also said I shouldn't bench press to below my breasts, to the middle, this is not what the Stronglifts program advises...
    He thought I hadn't been written a program because of what I was proposing to do, my program was all cardio, machines and crunches!!

How does everybody else deal with this?
    I tried talking to my Mum but she doesn't even want me to do weights, she believes in all of the myths so doesn't really care if I'm upset about the negative reactions.

Feeling fairly alone here, so anything will help :).

I follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and I love it. Very simple, and it has a set direction for deloads and even lowing sets when you can't reach what is expected. If you are honest with yourself about keeping good form, then you will progress accordingly. You can't rush this program or your body will be sorry. :) For that reason, and because I'm in my forties and don't recover as fast anymore, I only do the full body workouts A & B each, one time a week. If you find your back or knees start to bug you after doing the workout sessions 3x a week, consider backing off to 2x a week like I do. Also, I add two sessions of either HIIT or cardio a week and that seems to work good for me. Because I used to be a Personal Trainer (and because I have an old shoulder injury), I don't chest press below my breasts (my arm/elbow/forearm stay at a 90 degree angle at the bottom of the movement--it's safer for my shoulder). If you keep your shoulder blades squeezed together, like recommended in Stronglifts, even the movement I'm doing works the pecs, anterior delts, and triceps just fine. As for the back rows, you really need to a barbell with weights that let you start to pull the bar from about mid-shin level. Any lower and there's a good chance you'll start rolling your low back. Stack other plates up on the sides (like recommended in Stronglifts) to get the barbell equal to about mid-shin for you. This barbell back row might be advanced, but if you keep good form and start with a low weight and build up, I think it can work wonders for you. :)

Sorry to hear that your Mom doesn't seem supportive, but maybe she's not that comfortable with weights, so she doesn't know how to guide you. Keep doing what feels right (and safe), and find female in the weight room area to train with...or at least a male who welcomes you into the weight room. :) People love to teach what they know, so approach someone who seems friendly and looks in shape. Maybe you can start going to the gym at the same time they go, so you can be around a supportive influence.

Good luck! :)
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    omg i feel you!
    night before last i finally worked up nerve to ask the 'head guy' at my Y if he would show me the proper form and weight capacity for me on the compound 4 lifts: deads, squats, chin up and before i even finished he interrupted me and asked, 'you dont wanna bench do you?!' i said YES! despite the fact that he looked at me as if i were green with antennae attached, he said he'd show me on friday (my proposed time). i said i really like lifting heavy and do the machines, but wanna get away from them and into the free weight room, around 10am, where it wouldn't be that busy and i could get the basics down. he then reiterrated that 'the machines are all i really need, but if that's what i want to do, then i'll show you.'
    i walked out feeling completely defeated before even starting. i don't wanna be a cardio-hoe no mo'! and the entire time he was talking to be i was thinking,' you are a a complete d-bag and i cannot believe i even asked u.' he's not even ripped or cut (which i know isn't that important) but this is my goal and i felt somewhat ashamed for even bringing it up!
    does he not know that i do not have enough testosterone to get all big and bulky like dudes? or, was he just being chauvenistic (sp?) and thought i didn't belong there.. i know i will be the only femaie in the weight room, but IDGAF.
    tomorrow i'm bringing my brother-in-law (super cut) and he's showing me all the forms, weights, protocol, etc. even he is a little taken aback that i want to lift heavy, and mentioned the 'fitness models in the magazines.' i tried to explain that i'm on a low calorie diet and unless i eat 5000 cals a day and take supp's and do this for 5 years that i won;t get like that.
    it's all very frustrating. but i can't wait to get in there.
    kudos to you for having the balls and gettin' it done.
    when will people learn.... lift like a man, look like a goddess :heart:
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've never faced that direct of negative criticism at the gym for being in the free weights section. Very sorry that you have to put up with that.

I was lucky enough to have an ex-bf that taught me basic strength training via dumb bells, so it was easy enough to translate that into barbells (dumb bell chest press is basically a barbell bench press, for example). However, it was a long time ago that I learned, so when I picked up the StrongLifts program, I watched a LOT of videos and read a lot of blogs on how to maintain proper form. The SL website gives you good basics, but I would poke around other sites like bodybuilding.com or nerdfitness.com for more information. A video will help make everything clear in your mind how to do the exercises properly.

Don't give up -- the chauvinistic meatheads aren't always experts at form either (and neither are the trainers, unfortunately, although there are some very good trainers that are MFPers). Don't let their criticism, if not constructive, deter you from the free weights. (But by all means, value constructive criticism.) For every meathead trying to tell you you're wrong, there's a dozen women behind you waiting for you to trailblaze the way. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For every meathead trying to tell you you're wrong, there's a dozen women behind you waiting for you to trailblaze the way.

:heart: this.
    made me smile!
  • molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    omg i feel you!
    night before last i finally worked up nerve to ask the 'head guy' at my Y if he would show me the proper form and weight capacity for me on the compound 4 lifts: deads, squats, chin up and before i even finished he interrupted me and asked, 'you dont wanna bench do you?!' i said YES! despite the fact that he looked at me as if i were green with antennae attached, he said he'd show me on friday (my proposed time). i said i really like lifting heavy and do the machines, but wanna get away from them and into the free weight room, around 10am, where it wouldn't be that busy and i could get the basics down. he then reiterrated that 'the machines are all i really need, but if that's what i want to do, then i'll show you.'
    i walked out feeling completely defeated before even starting. i don't wanna be a cardio-hoe no mo'! and the entire time he was talking to be i was thinking,' you are a a complete d-bag and i cannot believe i even asked u.' he's not even ripped or cut (which i know isn't that important) but this is my goal and i felt somewhat ashamed for even bringing it up!
    does he not know that i do not have enough testosterone to get all big and bulky like dudes? or, was he just being chauvenistic (sp?) and thought i didn't belong there.. i know i will be the only femaie in the weight room, but IDGAF.
    tomorrow i'm bringing my brother-in-law (super cut) and he's showing me all the forms, weights, protocol, etc. even he is a little taken aback that i want to lift heavy, and mentioned the 'fitness models in the magazines.' i tried to explain that i'm on a low calorie diet and unless i eat 5000 cals a day and take supp's and do this for 5 years that i won;t get like that.

Good for you lisaisso! I loved that you came back stronger and more determined (with your brother-in-law) to do the lifts you want to do. :)

I'm sort of like you and 'caveats' in that if I want to do something...look out! At least that's what my husband says. :) When I wanted to learn the right way to lift and progress, I ended up studying and testing for 3 personal trainer certifications over the course of a year. I wanted to know first-hand how to do it right--matter of fact, I wanted to be an expert at it! I personal trained folks for a few years after getting my certs. I especially enjoyed showing women how to weight train. :) I wanted them to know that weights were not to be avoided, and if you know what you are doing, there is no reason to feel inferior or uncomfortable in the 'free weight' area of any gym! Machines are good for those who want to start there, but knowing how to use free weights is great ‘tool’ in the fitness box. Plus, the flexibility of free weight training, as well as the benefits to your core, is unsurpassed.

Anyway, kudos to you and KEEP AT IT!!! If you are an approachable person, other women will eventually come up to you for guidance in the weight room. Pass your knowledge and confidence on to them. :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone is still interested, but I was excited to see this group and this thread! I want to do the stronglifts 5x5. I have a week left on the Jamie Eason Livefit Trainer and I want to complete that.
    I was intimidated by the weight room, I just felt silly, but it doesn't bother me much anymore. If people are judgmental, that's on them.
    I can't believe your trainer! I joined the fitness center here at work and there is a super helpful guy who works there and I asked him to show me how to use the Smith Machine and he was excited to see a woman lifting heavy and said more women should.
    so, you think the website is the best resource, and watching some videos? I might get some personal training, might be helpful to make sure I am doing it right!
  • amysj303
    Options
    just trying to get some interest in a group for Stronglifts 5x5, I want to start next week, wanted to see if anyone wants to form a group thread for support and such.
  • toxoplasmagondi
    toxoplasmagondi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for three weeks now and I love it!
  • amysj303
    Options
    good, are you doing 3 days a week? any cardio? which resources do you use? the website? or did you order the program? I have lots of questions:happy:
  • toxoplasmagondi
    toxoplasmagondi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and am slowly reading through it (its a bit dry and technical). Most of the information can be found in a more concise manner here http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki I lift MWF and occasionally do cardio on the weekends out of habit but I make sure I eat back all the excess calories. If you have more questions feel free to message me!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Thank you! I will message you, but wanted to post here to, just to see if I can't drum up a little interest in the thread.
    The next question for me, I think, is whether I should get a trainer. And how to pick one...
    I feel like I have been lifting but I would like some instruction on deadlifts. I have never done "good mornings" either...
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will message you, but wanted to post here to, just to see if I can't drum up a little interest in the thread.
    The next question for me, I think, is whether I should get a trainer. And how to pick one...
    I feel like I have been lifting but I would like some instruction on deadlifts. I have never done "good mornings" either...

I would love a 5 x 5 group. I just don't have time to manage it. :-)

Oh and to avoid knee pain in squats, make certain you are going paralell or deeper and engage your glutes and hams and make certain your knees don't go past your toes in a vertical line. feet should be shoulder width or a teensy bit wider and straight.
  • missdelarocha
    missdelarocha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    omg i feel you!

Wow, they have no other reason than they have stereotypical ideas of women in gyms to act like that and you'd think as an adult they would know better.
    You're so lucky you have a brother-in-law that is going to help you, I hope you had a really good session with him.
    Well he should know that already but at least you taught him something!
    Rofl at 'cardio hoe, no mo'', amen.
    Wow! I've never faced that direct of negative criticism at the gym for being in the free weights section. Very sorry that you have to put up with that.

I was lucky enough to have an ex-bf that taught me basic strength training via dumb bells, so it was easy enough to translate that into barbells (dumb bell chest press is basically a barbell bench press, for example). However, it was a long time ago that I learned, so when I picked up the StrongLifts program, I watched a LOT of videos and read a lot of blogs on how to maintain proper form. The SL website gives you good basics, but I would poke around other sites like bodybuilding.com or nerdfitness.com for more information. A video will help make everything clear in your mind how to do the exercises properly.

Don't give up -- the chauvinistic meatheads aren't always experts at form either (and neither are the trainers, unfortunately, although there are some very good trainers that are MFPers). Don't let their criticism, if not constructive, deter you from the free weights. (But by all means, value constructive criticism.) For every meathead trying to tell you you're wrong, there's a dozen women behind you waiting for you to trailblaze the way. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much, I was very surprised too. I will check out nerdfitness, I love bodybuilding.com except for the supp ads :P.
    Aw thank you, you are a sweetheart!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    ugh! I'm kind of glad (and lucky) that I drag my husband's *kitten* with me to the gym. Nobody messes with me. Probably b/c he's there with me. We've been lifting (deadlifts, squats, bench presses) for a couple of weeks now, 3x per week. We just found out about this Stronglifts 5x5 program yesterday, so after reading through it, we've decided to start tonight.

btw...new to this group (thanks allabtlm!)...and new to lifting. But as I was falling asleep last night, I was daydreaming about lifting tonight. rawr <--- that's my baby badass growl
  • amysj303
    Options
    ok, maybe you girls can help me, I felt a little silly last night, it occurred to me, there are two bars for the "cage" and one bar is 35 lbs and it is shorter than the 45 lb bar but I use them both, I wonder if they are supposed to be used for the same thing or if I am looking crazy using the long bar for deadlifts?!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    ok, maybe you girls can help me, I felt a little silly last night, it occurred to me, there are two bars for the "cage" and one bar is 35 lbs and it is shorter than the 45 lb bar but I use them both, I wonder if they are supposed to be used for the same thing or if I am looking crazy using the long bar for deadlifts?!
    I use the 45 lb bar for deadlifts.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,977 Member
    Options
    Use the OB for deadlifts (i.e. the long bar...) - you'll be loading up the weight in no time, if you aren't already.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It is really sad to hear things like that! I've been going to the same gym for quite a while (Lifetime) and there are always plenty of women in the weight room lifting heavy. My personal faves are the two women, one probably 65 and the other at least 70 who still rock it in there. Never seen anybody get a weird look, unless they are doing something totally off - but it always seems to be the men and teenage boys who do the weird injury causing spastic jerks :p

I hope things are getting better for you!

A while ago this tiny little thing showed me up something awful in the rack next to me and she didn't even look like she was trying, so I've now decided to start 5x5 as well - she made me realize I needed to up my game hardcore, lol.

My first day will be today as soon as dinner settles. I'm visitng the parents so the spreadsheet stuff isn't on this comp, but I downloaded the ap and will just use that until I get back home.
  • kylor57
    kylor57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    just trying to get some interest in a group for Stronglifts 5x5, I want to start next week, wanted to see if anyone wants to form a group thread for support and such.

I just started stronglifts this week, and have been looking for a support group of women... PLEASE let me know if anyone starts one! I'll definitely join! :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I just started stronglifts this week, and have been looking for a support group of women... PLEASE let me know if anyone starts one! I'll definitely join! :)

Ditto! Just had my first workout tonight. I'm starting from below the OB weight. My home BB weighs 15lbs and am working up to that in squats. All other exercises- I'm miles ahead of that. I'd love to find a 5x5 group- women specific would be awesome!