Gluten free breakfasts?

Options

Replies

• BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ooooo...I will have to try the mulit-grain version. So glad someone else has tried them. :smile:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Speaking of multi-grain breads, my hubby and son have been eating Glutino "Genius" bread lately. It is about twice the size of Udi's, and at our grocer, it is a couple of dollars cheaper. They say it is the best gluten-free bread they have tasted (I of course have not tasted it, being grain-free.) They have been eating the white sandwich bread, but I noticed that they had a brown multigrain bread as well, so I pulled both out and compared the ingredients.

The results . . . drum roll please . . . the brown multigrain bread has beets in it to make it darker.

Pam
    Ooooo...I will have to try the mulit-grain version. So glad someone else has tried them. :smile:
  • mmartiandt
    mmartiandt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of mini ham and cheese quinoa cups and eat those for breakfast in the mornings. I just prepared 3/4 cups of dry quinoa following the directions on the box, then mixed it with 4 extra large eggs, 8 ounces of cubed ham, and 1.5 cups of shredded cheese. Then I placed the mixture in a mini muffin pan, and baked until golden brown along the edges. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan. My batch made 36 mini cups, and I froze them 3 to a ziplock. Each cup is only 45 calories, and I just take a ziplock out every morning, nuke for about 30 seconds, and then I have a hot breakfast every morning! :)
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    nairns do a gluten free porridge available for UKers (very had to get oatmeal that is guaranteed not contaminated with gluten)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My family and I have to eat grain free and some us dairy free as well as gluten free.. here are our standard breakfasts .eggs with bacon or sausage, fruit or fried potatoes.. muffins, pancakes, or coffee cake made with almond flour, coconut flour or flax seed meal.. grain free granola with toasted coconut, nuts and dried fruit with almond or coconut milk
  • csmrozell
    csmrozell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I generally make a fruit and granola shake each morning. It's usually around 16 oz, so I can sip it all morning and not be hungry until lunch.

Dairy free:
    1 cup frozen berries
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1/4 cup GF granola
    (optional: 1 banana)

Yogurt shake:
    1 cup frozen berries
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup GF granola
    (optional: 1 banana)

But next week, I'm thinking of trying these:
    http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=1929

SO EXCITED!!
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I find breakfast to be my "easiest" meal; I eat some sort of egg-white omelette almost every day. I'm also a big fan of smoothies.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    GF rice cake with peanut butter. Soy or coconut yogurt.

Smoothies

Eggs..I just made a casserole. Thin slice a sweet potato and place in layer in rect baking dish well oiled. Shred zucchinni, carrots. Whisk about 10 eggs and blend into the shredded veggies and pour onto the potatoes. Place about 8 bacon slices (uncooked) on top of that and bake at 375 for 40 mins. so delish and really not that bad for you.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts are tough as the corporate wheat industry has us conditioned to think cereal or toast.

Fish is a big breakfast in many countries but kippered herring is hard to find. Smoked salmon is a great source of protein and omega3s. I buy farmed salmon in bulk and smoke it at home to cut down on the cost. It sure beats a tin of sardines which takes a little getting used to but it will fill you up with quality protein. Two hard cooked eggs and a piece of fruit can keep me satisfied until lunch too. If you want a grain substitute try buckwheat. Cooked whole buckwheat or kashi seeds with crushed almond and a drizzle of honey beats oatmeal and is gluten free. If you want to be more adventurous, take a drained can of chick peas, a handful of walnut pieces and add it to a food processor. Blend together and add milk or milk substitute until it get the constituency of natural peanut butter. Then add pure maple syrup to taste. There you are, Maple Walnut Hummus. Good protein and vegan omega3s. I think I'll make some for breakfast tomorrow.
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oooh I've heard of the English Muffins but have not seen them at my store yet...cant wait to try them! I thought I died and went to heaven when the Udi bread came out...

I normally have one egg and one egg white scrambled with one slice of Udi bread and 2 slices of ready-made bacon (I know I know not that healthy but 35 cals for 2 slices and it really helps keep me full until lunch).

I want to try that casserole, YUM!
  • Meaghan685
    Meaghan685 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'll do Chex, McCann's Irish Oats (read a while back that imported oats are not processed on wheat filled equipment and have never had a problem), eggs with sausage or bacon, or fruit filled crepes as well as the occasional Saturday morning pancakes.

When I make crepes or pancakes, the smallest batch is too much for just me, but is perfect to put the rest in the freezer for future breakfasts. Just be sure to heat them up on a reduced power setting in the microwave so you don't dry them out and make them into Frisbees :)
  • dayatatime1
    dayatatime1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfasts are gluten free bread toasted (I like Ener-g light) with strawberry rhubarb fruit spread or an egg white breakfast burrito with whatever vegetables I have in the house on a brown rice tortilla.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump I am headed your way!
  • 1redhotredhead
    Options
    Favorite breakfast is Greek Yogurt and fresh fruit in the morning or oatmeal with honey, apples and cinnamon
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of mini ham and cheese quinoa cups and eat those for breakfast in the mornings. I just prepared 3/4 cups of dry quinoa following the directions on the box, then mixed it with 4 extra large eggs, 8 ounces of cubed ham, and 1.5 cups of shredded cheese. Then I placed the mixture in a mini muffin pan, and baked until golden brown along the edges. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan. My batch made 36 mini cups, and I froze them 3 to a ziplock. Each cup is only 45 calories, and I just take a ziplock out every morning, nuke for about 30 seconds, and then I have a hot breakfast every morning! :)

WOW ! What an awesome recipe!!! I've got to try that without the ham- I'll add some spinach :-D I've even got the mini baking pan and all the ingredients in the fridge/cupboard right now. Thanks!!
    :happy:
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You all are making me very hungry. Oh how I miss eggs! I have an intolerance to eggs, gluten, wheat, cows milk and several others. I will be checking here for some other alternatives. Breakfast is a challenge for me to get protein and high fiber. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts are tough as the corporate wheat industry has us conditioned to think cereal or toast.

Fish is a big breakfast in many countries but kippered herring is hard to find. Smoked salmon is a great source of protein and omega3s. I buy farmed salmon in bulk and smoke it at home to cut down on the cost. It sure beats a tin of sardines which takes a little getting used to but it will fill you up with quality protein. Two hard cooked eggs and a piece of fruit can keep me satisfied until lunch too. If you want a grain substitute try buckwheat. Cooked whole buckwheat or kashi seeds with crushed almond and a drizzle of honey beats oatmeal and is gluten free. If you want to be more adventurous, take a drained can of chick peas, a handful of walnut pieces and add it to a food processor. Blend together and add milk or milk substitute until it get the constituency of natural peanut butter. Then add pure maple syrup to taste. There you are, Maple Walnut Hummus. Good protein and vegan omega3s. I think I'll make some for breakfast tomorrow.

Yummy!!! Great ideas. Can you come cook for me please? :)
  • ButterScuttles
    Options
    Hello friends! I like to make a green smoothie. With Spinach,banana, almond milk, chia seeds, blue berries OR black berries sometimes I throw in flax meal . This is great for a quick meal when you are short on time! I'm trying to tweek my fruits to lower my calories...I'm a sever celiac AND a Vegetarian! so eating can be challenging...

I do something similar for breakfast every morning! I make a shake in the evening so I can just grab the bottle and take it with me to work in the morning and all I have to think about is my co-workers asking me why I'm drinking something that looks like 'swamp water.'

Nice thing about the 'shake for breakfast' concept is that you can dump anything you want into the blender and just knock it back without having to really worry about preparation and time. I've tried all kinds of veggies and fruit and have yet to really come across a combination that isn't good (other than when I tried adding parnsips... that was pretty nasty. Don't try that at home. Seriously).

One of my favorite shakes:

1/2 cup carrot, pomegranate, or beet juice
    1/4 cup vanilla coconut, almond, or soy milk
    1/2 avocado (makes shake nice and creamy)
    handful frozen mango chunks
    1/2 lemon - juiced
    1 tbsp green powder
    1 tbsp flax fiber
    1 tbsp rice protein powder
    Berries are also really good in this!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I want a heavy breakfast, I have eggs (scrambled when I need it quick, hard-boiled when I have some time) and a salad and or fruit. Eggs are amazingly low calorie. 70 cals each. So even if scrambled with a little oil/butter, we're talking 200 calories, tops, for the eggs. And salad and/or fruit are both low cal.

When I want a carby breakfast, I have rice cereal (hot, cream of rice) with a banana blended in for sweetener, walnuts, and some kind of fat...butter if I'm eating dairy, coconut butter if I'm not. This is higher calorie, but hey, I don't mind.

Yeah...nothing special. But they work for me.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    This morning I put some veggies in the frying pan and a potato in the microwave and cooked. When the potato was done, scooped the inside, and mashed it into the veggies in the frying pan. Added liquid egg whites, some garlic and herbs, a bit of daiya cheese, and cooked through. Put it back on the potato skin (like it would fit!) and topped with some salsa. Very filling and lots of protein!