Fat?/

Options
So Im not low carbing per say -Im following more the primal blue print (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1oU8OOdXS) way of eating than any low carb diet I aim for 50-80 carbs a day but often fall well under 50 never going over 80!! I limit my calories to 1300 however... I am now seeing posts that state if you take in to much fat youll gain weight!! Huh? I thought the whole point was to get your body running on the fat? How much fat should I be aiming for??

Thanks
Bri

Replies

• QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was recently on medication which made me tired and hungry so I was eating 3,000 calories a day and moving around very little. Theoretically I should have put about 10 pounds on in the month this was going on but I didn't gain an ounce - I would have gained that and more if I'd been eating carbs.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying; that it's more a Paleo, or 'caveman' diet as opposed to Adkins. But, it's still very different than a 'grain' based diet, which others wish to follow. I wouldn't worry about their posts; I'm not so sure their science is correct. I've seen people lose weight eating 55% fat....

I do what is best for me...what I feel comfortable eating, and just try to avoid things that don't 'make sense' to me. :flowerforyou:
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Take this as you will, but to me, the absolute minimum of fat grams should be around 35% of your body weight. And as Laceybaby pointed out, for those on a lower carb diet, going as high as 55% isn't uncommon. You have to make up your calories somewhere other than carbs and I know that since you're on a Paleo diet, most of your fats are coming from healthy fats. If you need help setting up your ratios or calculating your total macronutrient grams (for the total amount of daily calories you are eating as opposed to your body weight) before coming to MFP to change your settings, I really like this calculator:http://www.superskinnyme.com/macronutrient_calculator.html.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Too much fat only makes you gain weight if it leads to a caloric surplus in the body. A small amount of healthy fats is required by the body, but the 'high fat' nature of the diet is simply a replacement of carbohydrates with a more neutral macro-nutrient. In order to become a 'fat burning machine', you need to reduce carbs, not necessarily increase fat. But if you don't increase fat, then you either increase protein excessively which isn't good, or you eat too little calories and your metabolism slows down. So the only logical option is to eat a lot of fat.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Take this as you will, but to me, the absolute minimum of fat grams should be around 35% of your body weight. And as Laceybaby pointed out, for those on a lower carb diet, going as high as 55% isn't uncommon. You have to make up your calories somewhere other than carbs and I know that since you're on a Paleo diet, most of your fats are coming from healthy fats. If you need help setting up your ratios or calculating your total macronutrient grams (for the total amount of daily calories you are eating as opposed to your body weight) before coming to MFP to change your settings, I really like this calculator:http://www.superskinnyme.com/macronutrient_calculator.html.

Thanks everyone!! This calculater didnt work :-( It said not found
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Really? That's odd. Make sure you don't include the colon mark before it or the period after the link. if that fails, try typing in the address by hand.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy that it's be characterized as for so many years. Increase your fat intake while keeping carbs low and it should work out in your favor. Eat until satisfied and not stuffed and you'll see results, generally without the needs to count calories or other nutrient ratios too much (be careful if you tend to overeat in general though).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Really? That's odd. Make sure you don't include the colon mark before it or the period after the link. if that fails, try typing in the address by hand.

The website is definitely working. Ive had this saved to my favorites for quite a while. Make sure you are copying the link WITHOUT the period at the end. I betcha thats what happened...
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    It worked!! And im in my range :-) Ya!!
  • adrianpaulwood
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm really uncertain about this question of fats / calories - because I've seen a strong link between calorie intake (and thefore fat) and weight loss.

I've been following the Atkins diet carefully, stayed in induction for 8 weeks, because weight loss had slowed down (after losing rapidly in the first 3 weeks). I've now been in OWL for 2.5 weeks. During the last 5 weeks of induction, every time my calorie intake increased (even when carbs was very low), I gained weight, then I lost weight whenever calorie intake dropped (even if net carbs went up to 25g to 30g). I started OWL by trying to introduce walnuts (with cream), but found I immediately gained weight due to the increase in calories from the extra fat. I have since increased carbs without fat and weigh loss continued.

This last week I've not been as careful as normal for various reasons, and instead of increasing my carbs 5g they have increased by over 10g (to 40g per day) - but my calorie intake has not increased (hence I have eaten less fats). My weight loss now seems to have accelerated!

So unless its to do with my overall metabolism, my experience seems to go against the mantra of counting carbs but not fats / calories.

For info:

My calorie intake during the first 3 weeks of induction was about 1200 - 1300 per day.

Then for the remainder of induction it increased to an average of 1400 per day - but occasionally peaking to 2000 calories which immediately prompted weight gain

Since induction the average has increased to about 1550 per day. Occasional peaks of around 1900 calories now seem to slow down, but not stop weight loss.

... but I believe for someone of my weight (180 llbs) and height (5 foot 11) - I should be eating 1800 to 2200 calories a day?? If I did that, despite the low carb diet, it seems I would almost certainly gain weight!

Confused!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm really uncertain about this question of fats / calories - because I've seen a strong link between calorie intake (and thefore fat) and weight loss.

I've been following the Atkins diet carefully, stayed in induction for 8 weeks, because weight loss had slowed down (after losing rapidly in the first 3 weeks). I've now been in OWL for 2.5 weeks. During the last 5 weeks of induction, every time my calorie intake increased (even when carbs was very low), I gained weight, then I lost weight whenever calorie intake dropped (even if net carbs went up to 25g to 30g). I started OWL by trying to introduce walnuts (with cream), but found I immediately gained weight due to the increase in calories from the extra fat. I have since increased carbs without fat and weigh loss continued.

This last week I've not been as careful as normal for various reasons, and instead of increasing my carbs 5g they have increased by over 10g (to 40g per day) - but my calorie intake has not increased (hence I have eaten less fats). My weight loss now seems to have accelerated!

So unless its to do with my overall metabolism, my experience seems to go against the mantra of counting carbs but not fats / calories.

For info:

My calorie intake during the first 3 weeks of induction was about 1200 - 1300 per day.

Then for the remainder of induction it increased to an average of 1400 per day - but occasionally peaking to 2000 calories which immediately prompted weight gain

Since induction the average has increased to about 1550 per day. Occasional peaks of around 1900 calories now seem to slow down, but not stop weight loss.

... but I believe for someone of my weight (180 llbs) and height (5 foot 11) - I should be eating 1800 to 2200 calories a day?? If I did that, despite the low carb diet, it seems I would almost certainly gain weight!

Confused!

You may have to tweak to find out a balance I suppose, though years ago I had the opposite experience. I was eating roughly 2500-3500 calories a day, no exercise, sometimes peaking as high as 4500 calories a day and I lost weight consistantly for 9 months keeping my carbs at 20 or under.

I only started to gain weight again when I was introducing carbs and even as recently as last year, trying to reduce portions and calories before going back to low carb my intake was under 1600 a day and I was gaining or just barely maintaining even when I was exercising 6 days a week with very high intensity. Now that I am usually at 1800-3000 a day and back to 20g or less of carbs I'm loosing inches quicker and pounds after being stalled for a while, and I haven't exercised at all to burn the calories for about 1.5 months now.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

For info:

Confused!

Total calories still matter. Its just a matter of whether you can eat at a caloric deficit instinctively (without restricting calories manually) or whether you do need to restrict. Most people that are overweight can eat low-carb instinctively and lead to a caloric deficit, but some cannot. I found that I can when I'm overweight, but at normal weight I stop losing even though I could lose another 5-10 lbs if I really needed to.

So yes you need to cut back on your eating if you found yourself gaining weight.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

For info:

Confused!

How are you weighing yourself - everyday...if so being up 2 lbs in a days time does not mean that you have immediately gained weight...

I have been on a 30 day strict Paleo (loosing weight is a side effect not the main reason I am doing it) and I am keeping it to the lower carb side of under 80/day (usually averages out to 60 a day) and even though I know I shouldn't I weigh myself every day (but only record on Saturday/Sunday mornings) I do just to see what is going on with my body to to have a guage...this week I was about the same for a number of days and after 2 rest days (I usually only have 1 rest day) I was down two lbs....I think becuase my body had 2 days of rest to flush my system (when you workout your body will retain some fluids to help your muscles repair) - today I am back up a lb...I am going to guess by tomorrow I will be back down a lb...

Exercise is going to be a reason why you may see gains and loses from one day to another...also if you eat something that takes a while to digest...you may see and uptick on the scale....

As for Fat I adjusted MFP #'s so it would show lower carb % and a higher fat and protien %