Just a thought...

Options
I have been consistently reading the posts on the Hypo Group and I remarked to myself that a lot of us, deny ourselves a lot of things.
I am not criticising, far from it, but I just couldn't help but notice that we deny ourselves foods, a lot, and often.
Food for thoughts, that' all (no pun intended).

I have decided to allow myself things a little more and be less worried about whether I should put this or that in my mouth. This should make me feel less restricted and happier (?).
I can't do it any more: the low-carb / no dairy / no gluten (I can tolerate oats) / no fruits (ibs) / no nuts (ibs) / no-fat / yes-fat / high-protein / medium-protein / low iodine / high iodine blah blah blah and then go on a f*****g ridiculous binge and devour the children's chocolate biscuits and the family size bag of crisps in one helping (plus two pana cotta and half a bottle of wine)!

So I figured I'm going to lighten up a little, look less strictly at what I eat and see what happens. I'm not going to exercise frantically 'cause frankly I don't like it, I'll do a little and often.

Are we being too hard on ourselves? Too restrictive?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    LOL - cracks me up, but you may be on to something!! I think it's different for each of us, but do what we can do. I spent many years eating whatever I wanted to eat and have paid for it dearly - so I wouldn't go that far. I do agree on the exercise -- I think intense exercise stresses our body and maybe moderate-to-light exercise is better when we are going through a bad time.

But each of us has to find our nitch - what works and what doesn't and it's definitely a trial and error process. MFP does help, because we can record what we eat and how we lose and it can help us to tweak.

We definitely are not like "normal" people where calories-in/calories out apply - no way.

Terri
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree. But some people need the diet religion. That is good for them, but not for me and possibly not for you! I totally ate too much for a few days. Then had a rich lima bean, barley vegetable soup and salad for dinner and still lost 1 1/2 pounds this week. I did a bit more exercise one day and the next day I had to spend resting and did almost nothing except walking the dog.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me and this trial and era BS is about to make me crazy....this week I'm trying to avoid the stupid gluten and wheat like the doc suggested since I'm sensative to it, but damnit pizza is my FAVORITE thing in the whole world and I refuse to go get a gluetin free slice while everyone around me shoves their face full of the regular stuff. Plus I'm just tired of trying to explain my situation to ppl. I know that dairy boths me, so I avoid that as much as possible my whole life. But now idk what exercises to do to better the weight loss etc....and right about now I want to run home and shove the left over brownies down my face and suffer with the stuffy nose and itchy throat....AHHHHHH..... ok i'm done now
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah!! I came to that conclusion a few months ago when I was struggling yet again to go low carb while watching my family eat all the foods I love!!

I have no allergies to food, so why should I put myself on a special diet that just restricts me? Being able to have true options, but also the sense to eat them in moderation & to move everyday is key.

I'm hypo & successfully losing while eating mashed potatoes, homemade pizzas, sandwiches, and pastas.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you :laugh:

I have spent the last 10 months trying one thing after another...zig zagging, higher protein, eating my exercise calories, not eating them, not eating anything that resembles "junk", more calories, less calories... to get the scale to budge. It is SO frustrating and I still haven't found anything that works, or at least that works for more than one week (& then anything I lose comes right back anyway). I too have "loosened" up a little. I figure that is better than just throwing in the towel completely :grumble:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I agree..the whole no carb thing is truely killing me..so I decided to introduce the stuff..but have stuff that is low on the GI scale...I was up Monday cause of being bad friday/saturday/sunday..and now..I am down 4 pounds..so most of it was water weight..but then I think we forget we still need carbs to fuel..especially for me..since I am weight training..
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Man, I don't get it. Before this thyroid problem I could go shopping all day and get a good nights sleep and feel great the next day. Go hiking with the dogs for an hour or two, do my housework and be fine. Today after shopping all day yesterday and no REAL exercise (read fun) I feel as if a truck ran over me. Friends???? used to tell me that all the sports I used to do would catch up with me someday. Now is this the day???????? I had originally put the above in my diary notes just to put it down but after reading the days posts on our Hypo group I figured I would vent here.

The day is beautiful. The sun is shining and the air perfect for a hike. My favorite exercise all my life. Loved all sports but I have always loved walking or hiking. I started out thinking that it would make me feel better but just couldn't make it. I hear so much that your expecting too much Ginny. You're a lot older now. BS. I never have had a problem hiking. Even after surgery on my knees I still could go walking. Last summer I went horseback riding and hiked with the dogs on the mountain ( not the Sierra's) but still a hike and did fine. You can see by my picture where I want to go. (I changed it and will change it back soon to my hiking buddy. :heart: ) You can see it better on my profile.

I'm also tired of eating less and not weighing less. :sad: I know I eat processed food but I never have been a great cook. My DH can eat anything he wants, and he does, and never has had a problem. His weight only goes up in winter 5#'s and then goes down 5#'s in the summer when he is more active outside. I should be so lucky. He supports me so much in this weight thing and he always has. Keeps his goodies out in his garage, tries not to eat the goodies in front of me, etc. So there is no problem there.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ha ha.:blushing: In the past when dieting, and I know this is a life change not a diet, I ate whole foods lots of vegies and fruits. You know, WW. Cut out white flour and starchy foods. I would lose 10#'s then plateau for months. So I might as well eat what tastes good to me. I'm not going to lose weight anyway. Right?????? No, I know that is a defeatist attitude and I have always tried to be a positive person. But it is getting so hard to deal each day especially with the pain and no weight loss. I was going to try a light weight 8# or 5# kettlebal workout but I tried doing some exercises with old tapes I have with 2# dumbbells but that about did me in. Couldn't even finish the easy beginner workout.

I'm done venting. Now I have to get back to trying to figure out what to do.

Sorry to go on so long. We'll make it. Venting clears the head and after our pity party we can get back to it. Any suggestions???
    Ginny
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Venting is good for the soul!! Just remember that stress is bad for you! I told my Naturopath that I was stressed most about my weight -- he shook his head and said -- you have to calm down and love yourself. I am doing guided meditation, getting lots of sleep (although I do need melatonin and Natural Calm to go to sleep)... I've calmed down on the really intense exercise -- and after a few weeks of being kinder to myself I feel a little better - not so defeated.

So, venting is good -- loving yourself is GREAT!! You are all beautiful and you can figure this out!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Why no gluten, dairy and so forth? I'm seeing this a lot here. I'm new to the group, wanting to learn more because I need to go in and be tested. Are people cutting things out hoping it helps with the thyroid issues, or are the thyroid issues causing the sensitivities?
    I have been consistently reading the posts on the Hypo Group and I remarked to myself that a lot of us, deny ourselves a lot of things.
    I am not criticising, far from it, but I just couldn't help but notice that we deny ourselves foods, a lot, and often.

I have decided to allow myself things a little more and be less worried about whether I should put this or that in my mouth. This should make me feel less restricted and happier (?).
    I can't do it any more: the low-carb / no dairy / no gluten (I can tolerate oats) / no fruits (ibs) / no nuts (ibs) / no-fat / yes-fat / high-protein / medium-protein / low iodine / high iodine blah blah blah and then go on a f*****g ridiculous binge and devour the children's chocolate biscuits and the family size bag of crisps in one helping (plus two pana cotta and half a bottle of wine)!

So I figured I'm going to lighten up a little, look less strictly at what I eat and see what happens. I'm not going to exercise frantically 'cause frankly I don't like it, I'll do a little and often.

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started MFP thinking it would be a good way to learn about what I was eating, when I was eating, and portion size. Basically, I wanted to see if little tweaks could help me lose weight, and they have. It's been a total shock to me that I lost any weight, but I'm thrilled with the results. I eat anything I want - as long as I have the calories available. That being said, my issue has and remains to be portion control. But, as long as I look up portions before I eat, I'm fine. I can eat only one Oreo or one piece of pizza. I recognize, though, that there are a lot of people who can't stop at just one, and so have to say no to all. I think it's a personality thing. But, the more I learn about thyroid issues, the more I realize they affect us all differently, and it's possible that a person's thyroid issues might come into play on how well folks can resist- seems like they can affect just about anything. I just feel very lucky that I can, and do, eat what I want.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Why no gluten, dairy and so forth? I'm seeing this a lot here. I'm new to the group, wanting to learn more because I need to go in and be tested. Are people cutting things out hoping it helps with the thyroid issues, or are the thyroid issues causing the sensitivities?

Dairy upsets my stomach BIG time, if i have too much my stomach cramps i get gas and i just want to crawl in a ball and die. The wheat is causing my nose to get really stuffy, my throat to swell and sometimes stomach issues like the milk. Sooo i'm tryin to do without because i'm tired of living with a stomach ache
  • Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    Hmmm that was interesting!
    Moody, I am like you. After falling off the bandwagon a few times, I eventually learned that the stomach ache was not worth the short pleasure of eating something my insides no longer tolerated. But it's taken a while. I prefer feeling good now.

Ginny, loved the quote "pity party", will use it again!

As for pizzas, we make our own spelt VERY thin pizza base at home and I get to enjoy it now and then.

As for the venting, well if we don't do it amongst ourselves who truly understand what we go through, well who else!

Having written my little "deep thinking" stuff last week, I have had a family weekend where I've enjoyed nearly the same as everyone else but I'm left feeling good and not bloated. Note to self: I didn't eat that many carbs, it was more meat/protein orientated.
    So... it might be worth persevering down that road although it feels restrictive. If I feel better for it, it's worth it.
    Had coffee with the girls and had regular milk and I'm bloating (but that could be my chunk of cheese last night too...!)

It's a bit like turning diabetic, I need to teach myself what's good for by body.
    Thanks all for your replies.
    X
  • Cindym82
    Options
    it took me 29yrs to finally figure out what really upsets my stomach and on occasion i overdo it and than yell at myself inside when i'm in pain. At least my boyfriend understand how hard it is for me bc of my thyroid and helps me out, everyone else can go kick rocks.....that is all