Talking with friends about Paleo...

Options
twinmom01
twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
Mike sort of touched on this with his post the other day about his Gym conversation...

Anyone else have a hard time discussing your "lifestyle eating choice" with other people when they question it?

After 2 years of cleaning up my diet in stages and eating with a Primal/Paleo slant since Novemeber and now jumping all in and going pretty much Paleo now I have had people remark about the things I eat - anywhere from "that looks awesome" to "that's going to give you a heart attack"

It's not so much the people who say that looks awesome - but the people who criticize what I am doing and eating and I figure I have to right to defend myself...and will give them a quick background (having read loads and loads I feel comfortable talking about certain things in absolutes) and they tell me I am wrong and grains aren't bad and all the Dr's say you shouldn't eat this or that....

When I get into what I liken almost a pissing match...I usually say I was a sheep and followed what the "Dr's" say for many years and hasn't helped me - I simply say my body has really responded to this way of eating so I am going to continue....

Over the past 2 years I have lost a total of about 26 lbs...with about 16 of those coming off since this past October (when I went into the primal/paleo lifestyle)...I am to a point where I am in a smaller size (and can wear the smaller size I bought about 6 years ago when i starved myself on WW - which surprise most of that weight came back on)- so people are noticing it a lot more because I have gone to wearing baggy clothes to clothes that actually fit my body nicely - so they ask what Diet I am doing...I explain I am not dieting but changed my outlook on food and how it can help my body...but then when people have heard of Paleo I get things like "that's such a fad" or "That is sooo not healthy for you"

Replies

• cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yea i tried the "i'm doing a lifestyle change" thing with my family and every week or so they ask "how's your diet going....i mean your 'lifestyle change' " (using finger quotes and everything, very dramatic). Lets just say that's getting old really quick. I just switched to telling people that "I was having stomach issues so i decided to cut gluten out for a while and i got a ton better, and even sometimes heavy starches like rice and potatoes bring the issues back, so i just try and keep those to a minimum. But I feel so much better now." This usually ends the conversation because they don't feel like talking about my digestive issues :)
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Fo the people who say GRAINS are GOOD for you...the doctors say!!!! I usually respond with there was a time when menthol cigarettes were "Perscribed" for colds.....smile big and broad and leave it at that =)
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I like the menthol cigarettes line. - stealing that.
  • katiejoycecross
    katiejoycecross Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The problem is getting people to understand our POV, I think.

Here's to hoping that one day they'll research into it just like we did, learn about it just like we did, and hopefully turn over a new leaf.

Until then, they should just let us do our thing without the criticism, and vice versa. (Although, we'll feel aheckuvalot better while we do it :)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Lets face it...If everyone did a low carb/healthy diet...Would MFP exist?

All those that do it...KNOW IT WORKS....And thats all that counts..

And to the doubters out there....Well?
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Funny that no one talked to me when I was 40 lbs overweight and said, "you are not healthy, you are killing yourself - you need to do something"
    But once you start living healthy and losing weight, the negative naysayers jump right in.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Funny that no one talked to me when I was 40 lbs overweight and said, "you are not healthy, you are killing yourself - you need to do something"
    But once you start living healthy and losing weight, the negative naysayers jump right in.

That's pretty interesting Mike. Turn the tables around on them. Next negative remark say, "Where was your concern when I was 40lbs overweight?" If that doesn't shut them up, I don't know what would.
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options

This is an awesome point! I'm stealing this!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've not had this problem, oddly. Most people want to know what I'm doing and have gone on to try it for themselves- 3 people so far in my workplace, 2 family members, and more who've made small changes like switching out margarine for butter, that kind of thing. My difficulty is that I work (broadly) in a health policy context, meaning people in my larger department are responsible for "healthy eating" initiatives- you know exactly the kind of thing they say. They are nothing to do with the team I work in, but sit just four "pods" away from me.

Without really meaning to I'm quietly instigating a growing rebellion against our organisation's own advice. I wish I could say it feels good, but it doesn't. The anti-fat mindset is so entrenched I wouldn't be surprised if I got hauled in and told off by senior management if they knew what I was telling people. Never mind that I've lost 88lbs and beaten depression. *sigh*
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I talk to most of my friends or co-workers about paleo, they're interested, but ultimately say something along the lines of "but I could never give up bread/cheese, ever!" and at that point I smile, tell them I used to think that and change the subject.

My family however have noticed the more subtle things about my lifestyle change, other than just the weight loss. They see the improvement in my mood, my skin, my newfound ability to sleep through the night. Stuff like that. My mom started moving towards paleo shortly after I did, about 5 months ago. She's lost 26lbs so far and has noticed the subtle changes. Many aunts & uncle's have since become interested in trying it for at least the 30 days.

Some people just prefer to dismiss it because they're not interested in giving up things they love, even if they could be making them feel miserable. They have no way of knowing that without trying and they'll never try. Because they know they'd never try it, they try to make themselves feel better which can sometimes result in insults or what have you towards the person talking about change.

I just shrug it off and hope that some day they're more open minded to how food really effects you.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im fortunate enough to have an Endocrinologist who is a full-on supporter of eliminating foods based on allergy/reaction tests. She believes in it fully... Even if it lights up as a sensitivity but not a full-blown reaction, she will recommend either limitation or full-on outright elimination.

My insulin resistance thankfully hasnt flared up in about 10 years thanks to an aggressive dietary reconstruction. Combined with medications (I used to take four prescriptions, Im now down to three for the last month!), and my willingness to comply (she never anticipated my full compliance and admitted that to me, LOL), I dropped 64lbs. The fact Ive maintained the last two months doesnt surprise her, and it doesnt upset me in the least bit.

I do get the typical bitter comments from family, but I dont listen to them, in fact when someone of them get downright spiteful about it giving me their two-cents about it, I add them to my food elimination list. I simply dont talk with them anymore and avoid them because I dont need their negative mouths.

When my mother calls and asks 'Why are you avoiding me? Stop being a stranger" - I tell her the naked truth: Youre too damn negative and I dont need someone like you in my life if you continue to badger me about the GOOD THINGS Im doing. Your opinions do not matter to me when you get negative and nasty. So, if you cant be legitimately supportive, then I dont need you around me unless you can say something nice. "

I have very very very very low tolerance for people like my mother, regardless of relation.

Im just glad that I dont get crap at work. I work with all women at the office and EVERYONE is working with each other to eat healthy, lose weight, etc... it feels AWESOME to know that I can openly and freely discuss what Im doing without the bulls*** of someone telling me off.

The first time they asked me legitimately, why I dont eat breads/grains/pastas/rice and such, all I had to do was flip over my bottom lip to show them the kankar sores and open wounds I have that are almost healed. The reactions on their faces are PRICELESS.. "BREAD STUFF DOES THAT TO YOU??!?!?!" No one gives me grief, in fact they are all interested in the meals I prepare that dont use the typical american-starchy sides... they even find my foods delicious too!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have experienced responses from both ends of the spectrum.

- Some people say it's "unhealthy", and show concern when they hear this is how our children eat as well.
    - Other people say it makes sense and we've even had a few people from the family start making changes (some to full paleo and others have started reading "wheat belly" and stopped eating wheat).

For the people who know us well and have watched my wife and I lose 50lbs combined (in only six months) and seen our skinny children start to fill in a bit (not to mention a reduction our son's medication), it's easier to accept that maybe this "lifestyle" works. I still get the occasional, "how's that diet thing going?", but mostly people seem pretty accepting of it. You can't really argue with results.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've given up on using the "P" word (paleo) and using terms like "low carb" instead I explain to people that i've given up processed food, flour, I have a gluten intolerance and also cut sugar because I didn't want to become diebetic. I also tell them that i'm "careful" about my protein sources and just leave it at that. My experience is that it's a more readily accepted explanation.
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    I just got reamed on another board for mentioning that most days I am under 1000 calories by following the Primal lifestyle - think ill stick over here from now on - family have been supportive but friends and coworkers I get mixed responses - just SO happy I finally found a lifestyle that works for me!
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    OMG you are killing yourself :) if you don't starve - you will have a heart attack.
    yes there are individuals that are anorexic. but they are not eating the volume of food we are for sure.
    I have started incorporating some ESE IF. Mostly because I was noticing that I just wasn't hungry for some meals.
    I often end up at 1200cal (not cause I'm stopping myself), and don't eat my calories back - and often have hardcore workouts.
    I'm not crashing like everyone predicts, I'm not eating away at my muscle like everyone predicts.
    w.e.
    yes I stopped posting in the regular forums or reading them - they drive me crazy with all their expertise.
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    OMG you are killing yourself :) if you don't starve - you will have a heart attack.
    yes there are individuals that are anorexic. but they are not eating the volume of food we are for sure.
    I have started incorporating some ESE IF. Mostly because I was noticing that I just wasn't hungry for some meals.
    I often end up at 1200cal (not cause I'm stopping myself), and don't eat my calories back - and often have hardcore workouts.
    I'm not crashing like everyone predicts, I'm not eating away at my muscle like everyone predicts.
    w.e.
    yes I stopped posting in the regular forums or reading them - they drive me crazy with all their expertise.

My friends can't believe that I actually eat until we're in the break room together eating lunch - I swear I am not purposely keeping my calories at any level but got forbid your diet isn't "all about the calories". Anyway - I have blown through Sisson's cookbook - any good recommendations for other primal cookbooks out there?
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    haa ha haa - just had to read the "other" thread. Good thing you punched out. Clearly under eating by the few hundred calories you specified, you probably gave yourself cancer and don't know it. what tremendous idiots. I love the "I'm getting my degree in nutrition so I know everything". (no you know the same crap they continue to sell everyone else). And there are few doctors that I consider experts in nutrition anyway.

I just bought Well Fed. I haven't cooked from it yet - but it came very highly recommended by people in this forum. Very user friendly and the dishes look great. They aren't simple "cook a piece of meat" recipes (so I'll really have to actually cook it would seem)
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    yeah that was interesting over there, I want to go nuts on them all but then I'd be no better so I aborted that mission! I know, I am apparently on deaths door because I am averaging 200-300 less calories a day than them! not because of the years I lived with obesity!

thanks I'll look that one up online - I do better planning my week when I have a few recipe ideas! I am addicted to the egg muffins....best things ever!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Has anybody here read Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat And What to Do It ?
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    Has anybody here read Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat And What to Do It ?

I haven't read the book yet, but here he is presenting the main thesis 'why we get fat...'
    http://lib.utsa.edu/general/why-we-get-fat-lecture/