Bulletproof Coffee

spngebobmyhero
spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
Has anyone tried bulletproof coffee? I made it this morning for breakfast and it is super tasty. I'll let everyone know how I feel later from this tasty breakfast. Not sure how full it will keep me, but its supposed to be a great, sustaining breakfast.

In case you don't know what on earth I am talking about, here is the recipe:
2 cups of hot coffee (16oz)
2-3 tablespoons unsalted, grassfed butter (such as Kerrygold)
1 tablespoon of MCT Oil (I used coconut oil, because that is what I have)

Add all of this to a blender and blend until foamy. Be careful blending, you might get some on your hand and its hot!!!

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Replies

• Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Yes please do keep us updated! I've been very curious about this!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Im trying this......=)
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Is coconut oil an MCT? I only see references to buying it as MCT (which I have not done but willing to).
    In reading about MCT, it looks like it helps with fat burn and protein absorption.
  • spngebobmyhero
    There are medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil along with other components. Its what I had on hand, don't feel like investing in MCT right now!

As for how I feel after the coffee: I was a little jittery in the morning and I wasn't as full as I usually am. I also had some intestinal distress, but i have no idea if this was from the coffee or something I ate last night. Also, I don't have the high grade coffee that the bulletproof exec talks about in his site, just green mountain!

Might try it again next weekend! I usually just have coffee from the keurig with some organic heavy whipping cream during the week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I have it several days per week. I use coconut oil. It is not as high in MCTs but has other benefits like oleic acid. I buy my coffee beans green, free trade organic, sustainable. Highest quality, minimizing contaminate from mold in the drying process. I roast my own with a tabletop roaster and grind with a burr grinder. Probable the most key ingedient is the organic butter from hormone free grass fed cows. It is a delicious frothy and rich tasting drink and I highly recommend it!! Might sound expensive but it isn't. Bought the roaster for $130. Bought the grinder for about $50, both severl years ago. Buy the top qulity coffee for about $5 a pound green. 1 pound of good butter cost about $5 and lasts about 2 weeks and a jar of cocnut oil is $8.99 and lasts mre than a month. Well nder $1 per serving. Probably about .35. Compare that to starbucks crapola.......
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    wow that is serious. Didn't know there was such a thing as a "home roaster". Worth googleing.
  • spngebobmyhero
    I have it several days per week. I use coconut oil. It is not as high in MCTs but has other benefits like oleic acid. I buy my coffee beans green, free trade organic, sustainable. Highest quality, minimizing contaminate from mold in the drying process. I roast my own with a tabletop roaster and grind with a burr grinder. Probable the most key ingedient is the organic butter from hormone free grass fed cows. It is a delicious frothy and rich tasting drink and I highly recommend it!! Might sound expensive but it isn't. Bought the roaster for $130. Bought the grinder for about $50, both severl years ago. Buy the top qulity coffee for about $5 a pound green. 1 pound of good butter cost about $5 and lasts about 2 weeks and a jar of cocnut oil is $8.99 and lasts mre than a month. Well nder $1 per serving. Probably about .35. Compare that to starbucks crapola.......

That's awesome! I have the burr grinder and grind my own coffee, but the roaster is some serious coffee business! Bet it smells amazing!

I use the pastured butter (kerrygold), its so tasty.
  • mmapags
    Do google Home Coffee Roasting. It actually fairly easy. I bought the Freshroast SR300. If you've got the burr grinder you've got half the equipment. The roaster is about $140 if I remember correctly. You can buy more expensive ones but this works fine. It roasts about 3 days worth of coffee for 2 of us. We brew 8 cups each morning and go through most of that. The great part is you get to try coffee from all over the world and get some truly great coffee for about $5 per pound plus shipping. I just bought 8 pounds of a Costa Rican for around $50 delivered.

You can vary the roast time to play with the different flavor profiles of the beans. I buy the green coffee over the internet from various sources. The two I probably use most are Sweet Maria's and Invalsa but there are lot's of them out there. One thing I like about Sweet Maria's website is they publish a chart of the cuppiing profile of each coffee so you see whether it;s full bodied or med or what ever, whether it has chocolate tones or spicy tones or acid tone. Very fun and acutally very easy. You put the coffee in the roaster. It roasts in about 6 minutes, you let it cool and "rest" for about 8 hours and you are good to go. Grind and brew. We use a sealing crock to store it to keep it fresh. Coffee is at it's peak of flavor at about 12 to 48 hours after roasting. After that it begins a slow downhill slide to degradation.

I've run the numbers and buying all the equipment, it pays for itself in about 6 months at the level we use and from then out we are drinking the highest quality coffee for between $5 and $6 per pound. (exceptions are Kona and Jamaican Blue which are much more expensive). Think about that when Starbucks charges $3 to $4? for 1 serving and you get 40 to 50 servings per pound!

A word of warning though. This will spoil you for all other coffee. It's very rare that I will have coffee that I didn't roast and brew. It just tastes dissapointing after a steady diet of the best! Occaisionally at a good coffee place or restaurant I will but mostlly not.

PS: the smell of roasting in the house is a whole added level of wonderfulness!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Last summer when I was working to get off dairy I put coconut oil in my coffee, but it didn't give me the total yum effect so I tried coconut milk, but I never used enough. A couple of T's were just enough to piss me off so finally I started dumping half the can in my coffee and my dairy free life was born. So damn yum! I'd keep the other half for the next day or for later in the day. I told my doc about my trick to get off dairy and she's hooked too, but she likes coconut cream that she gets from Tropical Traditions.

I have been trying to get off dairy since around 2000-1 when my paleo oriented doc kept telling me I needed to give it a go. ACK, no, so I'd try raw milk, kefir fermented milk, anything to try and keep my beloved dairy, but when I watched what was going on with my appetite when I recorded everything on MFP starting last spring I finally got to see how the dairy was triggering my appetite. Damn, damn, damn.... the things I didn't want to see. Finally I started creating a string on MFP Day 1 no dairy, day 2 no dairy, etc.... and knowing I had that can of yummy cream for my coffee made it!

Think I'll get me some MCT. Haven't used that in years.
  • mmapags
    The only dairy I really have left is butter and goats milk yogurt. Very little sugar.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    I tried the bulletproof coffee this morning using my regular coffee, Kerrygold butter, and some coconut oil. I realized later that my butter is salted but the coffee was pretty good anyway. It seemed pretty close to a latte, which I have been missing a little.
    thanks for posting!
  • spngebobmyhero
    I tried the bulletproof coffee this morning using my regular coffee, Kerrygold butter, and some coconut oil. I realized later that my butter is salted but the coffee was pretty good anyway. It seemed pretty close to a latte, which I have been missing a little.
    thanks for posting!

I bet unsalted will make it even better :) haha, I was very excited when I saw the unsalted kind at my grocery store and bought it right away. I will have to stock up next weekend on my trip to trader joes because it is $1.20 cheaper there!
  • mmapags
    Made me own butter this afternoon! (coffee, butter and other things, Yes I am a DYI kind of guy LOL) I have a kitchen aid mixer and bought a quart of organic grass fed local heavy cream. You just whip it til it breaks, for about 8 to 10 minutes. They you squeeze the water out of it, pack it in a cup or ramekin and your good to go! Very tasty!
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Very interesting.. I'll have to give this a try. Just bought MCT oil this morning to use in cooking, salads, and smoothies in place of my coconut oil. Now thanks to you I have a new use for it. Love my coffee!!!
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Hi All, just joined this group and love reading all the ideas. Ive tried bulletproof for the last few days ( today is my 4th) and I feel fantastic with it. It coincided with my drop in carbs so not sure which is causing the effects, but would highly recommend it!
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    I have been making it for the past week or so. However, I have only put 1T of unsalted butter in about 16oz of coffee. I love it. I am looking for Kerrygold unsalted. I found Kerrygold a couple of nights ago at one grocery store, but it was salted. So I will check the other chain this weekend. In the meantime I picked up unsalted butter.
  • CeeGray
    CeeGray Posts: 15 Member
    I'm new to this group too! Been following Paleo for a few weeks, more or less, but finally completely in the groove now that I have ready-access to grass fed beef, free-range chicken and, best of all--a co-worker has her own chickens and I can get incredibly-fresh eggs from her. What a difference!

I've ordered the MTC and am super-excited about it, as I am about this Group and all I am learning.
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Still on the bullet proof rough day 25 - tried the mct oil for a few days, but it gave me really bad cramps randomly through the day - so be careful with the MCT!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    bumping for future reference
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    What is the best (healthiest) brand of coffee?