Tender Stomach when starting

Options
mostaverage
mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
I get a sensitive, tender lower stomach muscle when I start to run, it's the same group of muscles you use when you do crunches, is this a normal thing?
It does ease up after a few minutes and doesn't seem to hinder movement but it's always there. Anything to be concerned about?

Replies

• fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but my muscles in that area are sore a bit after C25K workout, so I think its probably normal, especially if you are anywhere near as out of shape as I am. My muscles don't know what hit them!
  • mostaverage
    Options
    Let's hope it's something that goes as the fitness builds :)
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've experienced really sharp cramps in my lower abs when running and when I talked to others about it they suggested running with my hands up over my head, even resting them on my head. I don't know how, but it seemed to help the pain fade.
  • mostaverage
    Options
    Wow, really? I may look a bit odd but I'll give it a try ! Thanks!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had that when I started C25K but I used to get it towards the end of the runs - doesn't happen now though so maybe it's just something your body gets used to.
    I do find now I sometimes get stiff shoulders/upper back towards the end of a run, but I find if I concentrate on putting my shoulders back and trying to keep good running form, it goes away.
    Hands on hips for a count of 10 can help with stomach pain too.