Armour versus Synthetic

Options
I have been on T4 and T3 synthetic for a few months now (levothyroxine and liothyronine).
Many of you seem to be on Armour.
Have some of you switched from synthetic T3 to Armour? and if so, why, and what difference if any did it make?

Replies

• Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was on Synthroid for years and all of a sudden it stopped working. I became lazy, irritable, depressed and couldn't get a good night sleep. I was exercising 5 to 6 days a week and couldn't lose weight. I would have to push myself to exercise-I had no ENERGY. After reading a couple posts here about Armour - I researched it on the WEB. I couldn't find anything BAD about it. After discussing it with my Husband -he agreed with me to try it. I'm paying $27.00 a month for something that's not working.
    I've just been on it for 3 days, so I haven't been on it long enough to say Yay or Nay!! Will have to see!!
    Just check it out and talk to your Dr.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was on Synthroid for 15 years -- my thyroid labs looked ok, but I felt terrible that entire time -- full blown Hypo/Hashi symptoms.
    I switched to Armour about a month ago -- I am on a very low dose right now while we deal with some things, but overall, I feel better than I have in a very long time -- sleeping better, etc. He just uppped my dose a little, so I am excited to get off of this low dose. He's also going to begin looking at adrenal support for me -- I believe I have some adrenal fatigue, but we have to deal with one issue at a time.

Terri
  • kagero1976
    kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was originally on Armour when first diagnosed about 15 years ago. I stopped seeing that doctor because insurance wouldn't cover her. I noticed a huge change, but that was from going from nothing to Armour. Then while pregnant with my first child, the doctor I was seeing didn't want me on Armour and put me on Synthroid. I couldn't tell if I felt the same, better, or worse because I was already tired from being pregnant and remained tired for several years afterward with young children and another baby. I wanted to give Armour another try so I found a doctor who would prescribe it. I don't think I noticed that much of a change except initially the dosage was too high and I was getting a racing heart. Then Armour became unavailable for quite awhile(I think it is back again?) I began taking a custom mix of t3 and t4 made by a pharmacy nearby(they call it compounded thyroid). The cost for this eventually became too much. Armour still wasn't available so I started on Synthroid(t4) and Cytomel(t3). That is what I am on now. Honestly, I've never noticed that much of a difference between any of them. There was a huge difference from no medication to medication, but not much of a change between synthetic and natural or t4 and t4&t3. I do know on Synthroid alone after many years I was starting to get heart palpatations again like I had been initially when first diagnosed. They couldn't raise my t4 any higher because of my blood levels. Another doctor did comment my t3 wasn't as high as it could be and I seemed to have a conversion problem. That is how I ended up back on t4 and t3. I wouldn't want to go back to t4 alone because of that and some other symptoms. However natural t3/t4 or synthetic doesn't seem to make a difference to me.
  • Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I will stay on synthetic then, but agree with you, I'm never going back to T4 only.

X