If you had 20k

Options
j4nash
j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
If you had 20k to spend on a wedding or a down payment on a house which would you choose?

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Well I would pay of most of my student loans(my undergrad and grad only total 40k..I know still alot)....if those were not the issue would put a dp on a house....not really wanting to have a big wedding (have to find a man first), but just looking to be small and quaint.
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    House - no question. I've never understood people that throw these huge elaborate weddings (unless you're rich of course). When I got married we did a nice backyard ceremony in the summer and then had a big BBQ right there with all our friends and family. It was a blast and after food, booze, chair rentals, JoP, etc it only cost us about 2500 with about 60 guests
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I already have a house and don't want to get married again. Can I just go shopping or on a holiday instead??
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    House for sure... but that's only b/c I've done the whole wedding thing, LOL!
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Definitely a house.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If those are my only two choices...HOUSE!!!

(Marriage means a lot to me... a wedding means nothing)
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    HOUSE!!!!!

Weddings are pretty easy to spend less on if you know the right people and are willing to do a lot yourself, at least in all of my friend's experiences. You don't have to spend a ton for it to be classy.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Neither. But, I would consider using it as a down payment on a rental property, and I guess that could be a house.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Neither
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    House, but would prefer to spend it on travel
  • prwthomas
    prwthomas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose, it would be HOUSE. I'd rather have a nice travel adventure with it though :bigsmile:
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Definitely house! Why blow so much cash on 1 day of memories when you can have a home to start a life times worth in?
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    House, if you spend it on a wedding doesn't mean she will stay. kevin federline says it best, "You don't need a marriage certificate to say you're in love with someone." She can be gone tomorrow.

If you have a down payment on a house, that is a better option for you in the long run, with her or with out her.

I had to do a double take on this comment; I have never seen anyone sincerely quote Kevin Federline to support their statement before
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Bewb lift. lol

House.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Seeing how I hope to be moving within a year a house.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've got a house. So I'd spend it on a new car :bigsmile:

No, actually, half on a car, and half on a new kitchen :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    house for sure
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Does the wedding come with a man to wed? lol. If so, I'd choose that one.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I want a condo, and am currently saving for my down payment, so part would go there and the rest to savings.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'd add it to existing deposit I have saved up