Newbie here!

Options
Hello everyone! So I am newbie to the forum board. Like everyone here in this group, I would like to lose a few extra pounds that have packed on throughout the years. I'm not quite sure how this board works, so any advice using MyFitness or tips on shedding weight is helpful. Thanks everyone! And much continued success :)

Replies

• jb32hss
    jb32hss Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hiya and welcome :)

This group will not only give you advise on weight loss, but also strength training, which should definitely be incorporated into your fitness plan.

Do you have a membership at a gym? I find that having a membership is a great motivator to get me there as I have already spent the money! Lol. I eat healthily, with 1200 calories a day, and take part in a number of cardio classes at the gym including zumba and Bokwa. I've recently began to up my strengthening, I worked out a gym program with a personal trainer, to work my problem areas.

Remember that as soon as you stop doing a cardio workout, the calories stopped being burned. After doing strengthening exercises with weights calories continue to be burned afterwards, the burn aching is a good thing :)

I've sent you a friend request :) any questions just mesage me.

Jennifer
  • nique281
    nique281 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hiya and welcome :)

This group will not only give you advise on weight loss, but also strength training, which should definitely be incorporated into your fitness plan.

Do you have a membership at a gym? I find that having a membership is a great motivator to get me there as I have already spent the money! Lol. I eat healthily, with 1200 calories a day, and take part in a number of cardio classes at the gym including zumba and Bokwa. I've recently began to up my strengthening, I worked out a gym program with a personal trainer, to work my problem areas.

Remember that as soon as you stop doing a cardio workout, the calories stopped being burned. After doing strengthening exercises with weights calories continue to be burned afterwards, the burn aching is a good thing :)

I've sent you a friend request :) any questions just mesage me.

Jennifer

Thank you so much jb32hss!!! How often do you work out (cardio)?? I TRY (emphasis on the word "try") to do spinning at least 2-3x a week.... but I rarely ever do any strength training. I am supposed to meet with one of the personal trainers there, so maybe I will ask her for a few pointers in regards to that area. I would really like to find some simple home strengthening exercises that I can do at home whenever I get some free time. Also, how do you resist the urge to go over your 1200 calories? I find that very difficult and usually have to work out more at the end of the day just to balance out my alloted points.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So, "any advice"? That is a broad statement as I have learned SO MUCH here since I joined. :)

MFP:
    Just cruise around. There is a bunch of tools on here, opportunity to blog, tons of nutrition information etc. If you cook alot check out the recipe builder under food. Use the barcode scanner if you have the phone app. Be a stickler about logging everything, EVEN WHEN you have a bad day and go over.

Fitness help:
    I don't have a gym membership, but I recently bought a Heart Rate Monitor, which is the most accurate way to judge your calorie loss (MFP tends to be a bit generous), and use that religiously. Going for a mile run a couple times a week, working on core exercises etc.
  • nique281
    nique281 Posts: 4
    Options
    So, "any advice"? That is a broad statement as I have learned SO MUCH here since I joined. :)

MFP:
    Just cruise around. There is a bunch of tools on here, opportunity to blog, tons of nutrition information etc. If you cook alot check out the recipe builder under food. Use the barcode scanner if you have the phone app. Be a stickler about logging everything, EVEN WHEN you have a bad day and go over.

Fitness help:
    I don't have a gym membership, but I recently bought a Heart Rate Monitor, which is the most accurate way to judge your calorie loss (MFP tends to be a bit generous), and use that religiously. Going for a mile run a couple times a week, working on core exercises etc.

~~~~~thank you jannspizziri, I was just thinking that I wanted to get a calorie counter, so when I do workout outside of the gym, I can have accurate count of calories burned. When I can't get into the gym, I like to google different workouts on youtube... I am seeing slight results,but results, nonetheless. I'm excited to see how things will be a month from now. Working out no longer seems like a chore (now that I am seeing the fruits of my labor) :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    ~~~~~thank you jannspizziri, I was just thinking that I wanted to get a calorie counter, so when I do workout outside of the gym, I can have accurate count of calories burned. When I can't get into the gym, I like to google different workouts on youtube... I am seeing slight results,but results, nonetheless. I'm excited to see how things will be a month from now. Working out no longer seems like a chore (now that I am seeing the fruits of my labor) :)

You're welcome!
    Glad to hear working out isn't a chore....I still HATE every second of it lol. But I agree results are motivating.
    Speaking of working out with youtube....me too! I found a fun belly dancing how to thing, it was really fun to learn something totally new. :D
    Keep it up!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Hi!
  • tretheb
    tretheb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym member either and am not going to .. i am though thinking i need the heart monitor .. does it distance you when you run also