• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    And it only gets worse.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    And it only gets worse.

I know. Currently bike shopping. Getting fit on Thursday to narrow down my choices.

One HIM on a bikes direct roadie was enough for me.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As some of you man know, this year, I have made it my goal to train for an finish an Ironman. I have been in contact w/ Epix gear (who I have a tri suit from already and love) and they have helped customized a suit for me this year. Although they couldn't sponsor me (which would have been great) they have agreed to donate the cost of the suit to the MS Society.

On the back I had asked them to print the following :

In 2007 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
    Every day it takes a little more of my mind and
    my body. Every day I may get a little slower
    and weaker. You may see me swim, float, pedal,
    coast, run, walk, or crawl but you will never
    see me give up.

I refuse to quit.

I run this race for all those with MS who can't.

This is pretty much my motivation to get my *kitten* out there and keep moving. I love the way this looks!

front.jpg

back.jpg
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    badass suit Rob!
    inspiring story. good luck in your race!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    As some of you man know, this year, I have made it my goal to train for an finish an Ironman. I have been in contact w/ Epix gear (who I have a tri suit from already and love) and they have helped customized a suit for me this year. Although they couldn't sponsor me (which would have been great) they have agreed to donate the cost of the suit to the MS Society.

On the back I had asked them to print the following :

In 2007 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
    Every day it takes a little more of my mind and
    my body. Every day I may get a little slower
    and weaker. You may see me swim, float, pedal,
    coast, run, walk, or crawl but you will never
    see me give up.

I refuse to quit.

I run this race for all those with MS who can't.

This is pretty much my motivation to get my *kitten* out there and keep moving. I love the way this looks!

This is a great and inspiring story! Thanks so much for sharing it. What race are you training for? It would be great to follow you on race day.
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    badass suit Rob!
    inspiring story. good luck in your race!
    DITTO
  • 5Goodyz
    5Goodyz Posts: 10
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else will see this so far in the thread. First races do not invest too much into except training. Once you realize that they are awesome then start to purchase kit. A couple of things I found helped me. 1. Chamois butter. You can find this at local bike shops. It is a lube that goes on the area where you will make contact with the seat. It provides protection from getting out of the pool, on to a bike seat and then running. A lot of chaffing potential. 2. I bought a cheap set of aero bars. $35 from Performance cycling. They are not mandatory but it will help you cut through the wind and save your legs for the run. My first races I did in bike shorts (get a gel, non-absorbant pad and a cycling jersey. Placed 3d in AG on my second one. Outdoor races will almost make it mandatory that you have a wetsuit, unless you live in the warmer climates.

Have fun and meet other Triathletes and learn from them.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You're actually more aero in your drops. Would suggest that for sprints, maybe Olys.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options

This is a great and inspiring story! Thanks so much for sharing it. What race are you training for? It would be great to follow you on race day.

Thanks for the kind words...The Ironman Im doing is the Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC - Oct 20 (1 day before I turn 42!)