At what blood sugar level do you feel uncomfortable?

Options
Hi all.

Recently, I had a classic hypoglycemia incident - sweaty palms, shaky, clouded thinking - cured quickly with some food. I had the presence of mind to test just before eating, BS level was low 80's - which is the lowest reading I've seen for myself, though it's considered in the "normal" range.

Wondering - at what BS levels do you start to feel uncomfortable?

Thx!

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like to see my readings in the 70's and 80's. Lowest recorded reading has been 71 - I felt fine - and have never had a hypo incident.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I feel it in the mid 90s although that is getting a bit better. It's only been about a month since they upped my met and I dropped my carbs from 150 to 65 which has gotten morning fastings from 140-165 to 115-125. Many people get false hypos because their body isn't used to going that low, even if its not that low. As you get your average blood sugar down toward a more normal range you will probably not feel hypo until you get very low.
  • nikkirojo
    nikkirojo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My lowest recorded bs level was 48. I checked because I was feeling weird and started feeling very light-headed and shaky. I sucked on a lollipop, ate a piece of flatbread and had some juice to get into the normal range. For me, it's usually between 80 - 130.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to feel it in the low 90's/high 80's but recently more in the low 70's/high 60's. My doctor told me as the A1C goes down, I won't feel it until it's in the "real" low range. My morning readings for the past month or so have been low 90's/high 80's and I have no symptoms. My lowest was 44 (midday) about 6 months ago. The symptoms came on suddenly and fortunately I had the presence of mind to take a reading.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't start to notice that I'm low until I get into the 60s, or even sometimes 50s. I start to sweat and shake, and can't think clearly. I try to keep it over 70, but that can be difficult if you don't realize its falling quickly.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The lowest I've ever recorded was a 39. What was strange was that I didn't feel any difference. Normally I start to feel uncomfortable when I drop below 70.
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    I feel "off" when my reading is in the 70s. Once got down to the 50s and barely made it upstairs to the kitchen. I can even feel low in the lower 80s. Generally I feel best when I'm in the 110-130 range.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I start to feel it if I get into the low 90s or high 80s but that is usually before a meal so I don't worry about it because I know I am going to eat soon. I am trying to keep my fasting levels under 100 but they are usually in the high 90s right now or low 100s.

Now on the opposite end, I start to feel the effects of a high blood sugar level in the 140s. I get a slight headache and that thirst comes on really strong.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mines about the same as SherryRH. I feel low in the low 80s and high above 140. I used to drop into the 60s a lot with the glipizide but the doctor took me off of that. Now that I'm not on the glipizide I don't get those extreme lows so my body isn't used to it, and at the other side of the pendulum I don't eat a lot of carbs (around 110grams a day) so I don't get the highs either. It's nice not being a slave to the blood sugar.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Mine starts in when i dip below 80. I can feel the onset of shakyness in my hands. When i get to 70 I start getting really shaky and sometimes sweat. I am taking glipizide. I also take an injection of Victoza daily.

I don't go low often, but have learned to read the signs