Hay just joined wanted to say Hello

Options
indiansfan
indiansfan Posts: 6 Member
Been doing P90X and P90X2 and trying to gain. I have not been tracking my meal plan as i should to gain muscle or at all, maybe you all can help. I'm a classic hard gainer I’m about the same weight I was back in high school and I am 41 years old now.

Replies

• ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What are your goals exactly? Current diet/training etc?
  • indiansfan
    Options
    I would like to gain some lean muscle, at this time I am finshing up P90X2 then I am going to take a week off and after the week I'm going to do a hybrid of P90X & P90X2
  • AnthonyBarbaria
    Options
    Hey man thanks for joining the group, good to have you. Here's some basic pointers that have helped me put on some lean mass: Cut out the cardio! P90X is a great program, esp for shredding and endurance, but not great for building mass especially if your calories arn't very high. Take breaks more often (1-2 days off a week) and bigger breaks once in a while as you stated you will (1 week) Lift heavy, with ample rest time (Lift 8-12 reps, rest 2-3 minutes), definitely switch that up, but use that kind of schedule during your mass gaining phazes.

Diet: We need to know where you're starting (body fat, weight ect)
    -But generally I've found that I need lots of carbs in addition to protein and fats (I'm 149 pounds, and shoot for about 3,000 cals a day)
  • indiansfan
    Options
    Well my weight last checked was 199 lbs. Body fat is 8.5 to 9
    I am eating around 3120 cals a day and making up the Cals I burn off working out.
    Carbs 50%, Protein 25%, Fat 25%
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am eating around 3120 cals a day and making up the Cals I burn off working out.

I'd run macros closer to 40/40/20. To pack on weight (note I have a pretty high metabolism) I had to eat ~600g carbs daily and was shooting form ~300g protein. If you're burning off everything you eat you're gonna need to eat more. Maintaining muscle takes up a lot of calories, building it chews up even more. Shoot for ~3-500 cals above maintenance as a starting point, gotta eat big to get big.

P90x is great for cardio/endurance/toning, you get what you put into it, but it's horrible for gaining muscle. From your #'s you seem pretty solid, I'd up the protein a bit and hit the weights hard. I've had the best luck doing lean bulks eating like I said above, and starting my routine with heavy compound movements 6-8 reps (2 reps short of good failure) and finishing with higher rep stuff 15-30 reps (to failure) to really get the muscle bellies full of blood.
  • indiansfan
    Options
    Thanks

I will try that when I get back from vacation the week after next.
  • calcrunch
    calcrunch Posts: 18
    Options

I'd run macros closer to 40/40/20. To pack on weight (note I have a pretty high metabolism) I had to eat ~600g carbs daily and was shooting form ~300g protein. If you're burning off everything you eat you're gonna need to eat more. Maintaining muscle takes up a lot of calories, building it chews up even more. Shoot for ~3-500 cals above maintenance as a starting point, gotta eat big to get big.

P90x is great for cardio/endurance/toning, you get what you put into it, but it's horrible for gaining muscle. From your #'s you seem pretty solid, I'd up the protein a bit and hit the weights hard. I've had the best luck doing lean bulks eating like I said above, and starting my routine with heavy compound movements 6-8 reps (2 reps short of good failure) and finishing with higher rep stuff 15-30 reps (to failure) to really get the muscle bellies full of blood.

What he said to a "T" well put man! "gotta eat big to get big" <- solid advice right there.