Running Goals

Options
mmk137
mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
I have lots of goals that I want to achieve this year. Most of them are fitness goals.
Now out of those fitness goals I have a few running goals.

My 1st running goal is to run a 5km race in under 28 mins. (so 27.59 max lol).
My 2nd running goal is to run a 10km race in under 75mins. I've never run a 10k before. I'm currently training for one using b210k app. I'm hoping to run this race in runmelbourne which is the 15th July.
If that all goes well, then I might aim for the half marathon in the melb marathon in oct. But 1st of all I should get my 1st 5ker out of the way.

So what's everyone else running goals.

Replies

• AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to run 2 or 3 marathons a year. But lately I haven't run anything more than 6 or 7 miles b/c I seem to invite injuries beyond that distance. I'm now trying to train intelligently for some 10ks and if that goes well maybe a half marathon in the fall. After that....maybe back to a full. But I have to run 6.2 without hurting myself first!
  • Rrrtist515
    Options
    Thinking about a 10k in August. It would really be a push for me to do it.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I talked about this in the intro, but I'm running a 5k in August, called Run for your Lives. It is also an obstacle course, so it will be challenging.
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey there

At the moment I am about to start week 9 of c25k but have held off as I have just come down with a cold. So hopefully start on Monday. I'm doing the Mothers Day Classic on 13th May, I'm running the 4km. I am then going to start the b210k and am considering do the 10km run for RunMelbourne.

Also I am 3.9kg/8.58 pounds away from my weight loss goal.

Sarah
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am running my 5th half marathon in September and I REALLY want to break my previous PR of 1:54. I am aiming for 1:45 but
    I'll take 1:53! So far, I have lost about 8 lbs since joining in feb 2012 and I only have about 4-5 lbs left to go to my goal weight. I'm hoping dropping a few lbs will make me run faster! :)
  • mmk137
    Options
    Hey there

At the moment I am about to start week 9 of c25k but have held off as I have just come down with a cold. So hopefully start on Monday. I'm doing the Mothers Day Classic on 13th May, I'm running the 4km. I am then going to start the b210k and am considering do the 10km run for RunMelbourne.

Also I am 3.9kg/8.58 pounds away from my weight loss goal.

Sarah

oooh i've been asked to do the mothers day classic, but it clashes with something else I have planed. but i def will be doing runmelbourne :D

sarah I'm also at about 3kg away from my weight loss goal too. hehehe think it's funny that we are pretty much have the same goals.

leah, i think that's awesome that you have run 5 half marathons, and imo in a really good time. you can do it for sure.
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    My first and foremost goal is very simple.....when I hit that starting line for my very first 5K, I want to be able to run the WHOLE thing!...Maybe eventually get to the point where I could handle a 10k.
  • CaseyAllyssa
    CaseyAllyssa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I'm more of a jogger than a runner I think, but I'm trying to get faster. Lately, I've been running on the treadmill. When I started, I was running a mile at 5mph, and it took about 12 minutes. Now i'm up to running at 6mph, at about 10 minutes a mile. I want to continue to get faster and more consistent over all, but I do better when I have a goal to work toward. What is a good goal (time-wise or speed-wise) for a timed mile?
  • mmk137
    Options
    I have a question. I'm more of a jogger than a runner I think, but I'm trying to get faster. Lately, I've been running on the treadmill. When I started, I was running a mile at 5mph, and it took about 12 minutes. Now i'm up to running at 6mph, at about 10 minutes a mile. I want to continue to get faster and more consistent over all, but I do better when I have a goal to work toward. What is a good goal (time-wise or speed-wise) for a timed mile?

i wish i could help you but I do all my running outside. I don't have a treadmill, doesn't mean I haven't ran on I. You should try to get yourself outside, as running on a treadmill you will generally be a little faster than you would be outside.
    So when you do do a race, you will find your times will vary.

I suggest doing interval training on the treadmilll. that will help you get faster.
  • chickenpoppa
    Options
    Haha having the same goals is awesome. If I do the runmelbourne maybe we could meet up.

Those last few kgs are driving me insane, it's taking so long to get rid of them:-(
  • kcollet123
    Options

Hello! I am military, and I am trying to get my 1.5 mile run time down for my PT test. I am currently at 15:20, but my mile time is 10:27. I HATE running the treadmill since it is more difficult to slow down or speed up, as well as more difficult to adjust you stride. Whenever I run my 1.5 on one, it comes out to about 18minutes....Booo! LOL!

Anyway, since we seem to be in the same time categories, how would you like to set goals together? My time is currently passing, but I would like to start by getting down to the next points bracket, which is 14:30 (1.5m). So, if your goal is for a mile, maybe you can shoot for 9:30? What do you think?
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Options
    Ok! So a while back I did the C25K program and loved it. Now I'm looking for....a bit more. I downloaded an app called Bridge to 10K, supposed to be for 5K running program grads. This first workout was a monster, but I'm looking forward to being able to do what the workouts in the last week of the program say.....run for an entire hour!!!
  • CaseyAllyssa
    Options

Hello! I am military, and I am trying to get my 1.5 mile run time down for my PT test. I am currently at 15:20, but my mile time is 10:27. I HATE running the treadmill since it is more difficult to slow down or speed up, as well as more difficult to adjust you stride. Whenever I run my 1.5 on one, it comes out to about 18minutes....Booo! LOL!

Anyway, since we seem to be in the same time categories, how would you like to set goals together? My time is currently passing, but I would like to start by getting down to the next points bracket, which is 14:30 (1.5m). So, if your goal is for a mile, maybe you can shoot for 9:30? What do you think?

I think that's a great idea, and I think it'd be awesome if we could set goals together. Not many people I know run, so it'll be nice to have someone to compare with =]
  • CaseyAllyssa
    Options

i wish i could help you but I do all my running outside. I don't have a treadmill, doesn't mean I haven't ran on I. You should try to get yourself outside, as running on a treadmill you will generally be a little faster than you would be outside.
    So when you do do a race, you will find your times will vary.

I suggest doing interval training on the treadmilll. that will help you get faster.

I try to do interval training most of the time, and I time my miles about once a week to see how I'm doing. I've definitely noticed that I'm slower and it's harder to run for the same amount of time when I run outside. I used to do all my running outside, and then someone let me have a treadmill for free, and it's completely spoiled me. The last time I ran outside, I did 3 miles in 37ish minutes, but that was a while ago. I'll have to try it again now that it's nice out.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My running goal is to run my first full Marathon this year. I ran 18 miles for the first time this past weekend. Only problem I ran into was getting dehydrated in the end because I ran out of water bottles on my belt.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A little late to the game here - but I started off more on the treadmill because I started running in the late fall/winter. I highly suggest intervals. Jog at a pace you can talk at and the boosting it up from there. I loved having my base around 6.0 - 6.2 mph. And then my intervals for 1-3 mins at 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5. and go until I'm exhausted and go back to the 6.0-6.2 to get my breathing steady again. I usually did this for 30-40 mins.

Also - remember to add 1-2% incline on your treadmill to mimic the outside running on concrete/roads. And remember that your normal runs should be slower than race day runs.

And I love this site to help me figure out what paces I should be training at.
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

Hope this helps!!
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A little late to the game here - but I started off more on the treadmill because I started running in the late fall/winter. I highly suggest intervals. Jog at a pace you can talk at and the boosting it up from there. I loved having my base around 6.0 - 6.2 mph. And then my intervals for 1-3 mins at 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5. and go until I'm exhausted and go back to the 6.0-6.2 to get my breathing steady again. I usually did this for 30-40 mins.

Also - remember to add 1-2% incline on your treadmill to mimic the outside running on concrete/roads. And remember that your normal runs should be slower than race day runs.

And I love this site to help me figure out what paces I should be training at.
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

Hope this helps!!

Sorry - meant to quote CaseyAllyssa and totally forgot - but the site might help others that are trying to find good training paces and interval "fun" on a treadmill!!!!
  • mmk137
    Options
    Ok! So a while back I did the C25K program and loved it. Now I'm looking for....a bit more. I downloaded an app called Bridge to 10K, supposed to be for 5K running program grads. This first workout was a monster, but I'm looking forward to being able to do what the workouts in the last week of the program say.....run for an entire hour!!!

i'm doing the b210k at the moment. I'm in week 2. so running for 15mins then 1 min walk. by the time I get to the 3rd 15mins I'm like is it over yet.
    Might have to repeat week 2

Oh and sarah if you do do runmelbourne, yeah for sure we'll have to meet up... and yes I agree these's last kg's are driving me bonkers too.
  • chickenpoppa
    Options
    ScrewyChars-7633847
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Options
    I'll do day 3 of week one of B210K tomorrow morning. I was running this along with my Zombies, Run! app.....but I dont' think I will again. Just running what the program calls for is the most I can do right now, without doing sprintervals as I run from random mobs of zombies. I'll keep my zombie runs just for extra :)