can I add cardio with Body revolution?

Options
It's two weeks in an I'm so pissed off, I've been losing and gaining the same pound since I started. I ate clean organic food and never ate more than 1200 cal, Today I binged on everything I saw croissant, doughnut, chocolate, bread bread and bread I felt awful and almost cried, I've been struggling with my weight since 2010 I was 240 I lost 95 pounds in just 7 months on atkins diet, and then struggled with binge eating in 2011 and gained 20 pounds just because I always tell myself I'll diet tomorrow and tomorrow never comes until I decided to count calories. calories never worked for me and I'd lose If I killed myself in the gym, the problem now is that I can't ever go back to atkins, Its the cause that made me binge and i'm worried that body revolution will not work for me if I don't add extra cardio?

I'm afraid that I will damage my body If i did her dvd I would probably burn 200 cal + cardio 500 cal and I'm only eating 1200 thats 500 net cal a day

I'm asking because some one in twitter ask her" Is it good to run in conjunction with the workout routine in Body Revolution??" and she said " you can but don't overdue it. Body Rev is designed perfectly to avoid overtraining. No more than 5 extra 30 min cardio sessions"

what do you all think?

Sorry I brought up my life story :)

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. For your weight and the workouts, you may not have been eating enough. Did you update your food and workouts in MFP to see what you should be eating? Eating low calories can be o.k., if a person has a significant amount of weight to lose (like me...I want to lose an additional 80 lbs or so) and if eating low calories not done in the long run.

From a pure eating perspective, I've found success with zigzagging my calories (high/low days). I also think it's important that you are truly honest with what you're eating, portion size, water, etc (not that you are not).

From an exercise perspective, the other item to consider is that with some people, moving into this level of exercise causes the body to hold onto water temporarily; the body holds onto the water to help the muscles repair. It's the body's response to new and intense exercise. I've known people (including myself) who went through weeks of losing nothing or 0.5 lbs and then 3 weeks in, losing 6-7 lbs in one week.

If you are following the exercise program and the eating plan to a "t" and are drinking enough water, I would trust the program. You shouldn't have to "add" cardio. The individuals in JM's test study, who had crazy results, did not add cardio, or at least intense cardio. General activity, like bike riding or walking the dog, or playing a volleyball game at a barbeque is a great way to add activity to your week, but I wouldn't add additional intense exercise after the Kickstart week.

I will also share with you that prior to JM, I did a similar style program (Power 90) from November until February. I ate 1300-1800 calories (zig-zagging my calories) day-to-day. The program is 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week, alternating a weight-based circuit training workout, with a cardio-based workout. In fact, I would say, Jillian's, even at level 1/2, is harder than Power 90. In that time, which also takes into consideration all of the crazy holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's) where I indulged, I lost 38 lbs.

I would just try to trust the process :).
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can add in cardio, and I recommend you do. I have been emailing/chatting with people in Jillian's test group, they ALL added in 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week. Also, in Jillian's materials that came with body revolution, the journal has a section that says, "bonus cardio" - add in extra cardio.

Jillian says to eat in the follow schedule:
    250 breakfast
    400 lunch
    150 snack
    400 dinner

make sure you are eating that calorie amount, in that order, daily. Don't just go for a little walk, when you do extra cardio, work up a sweat - go for a fast paced walk, go jogging, running, biking, hiking, etc. for 30 minutes! As Jillian would say, MAKE IT COUNT! :)

And don't worry about over-eating today, tomorrow is a new day to get right back on it. I'm in phase 2, and it's a lot more advanced than phase 1. You'll notice a difference if you stick it out.
  • luoool
    luoool Posts: 9
    Options
    gerbies, I do count everything using food scale, and I do drink 2 to 3 liters of water a day I have almost 40 pound to lose , thank you so much for sharing your experience I really appreciate it.

jennys11 I would love to chat with jillian's test group, Where can I find them? If you don't mind telling me

as far as exercising if I don't burn 300 to 500 cal I don't count it and exercise.

my calorie schedule goes like this

breakfast 340
    lunch 300 to 400 cal
    snack 70 cal
    dinner 300

will that make a big difference ?

What a relief thank you guys for the support, I really needed it.
  • gerbies
    Options
    You can add in cardio, and I recommend you do. I have been emailing/chatting with people in Jillian's test group, they ALL added in 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week. Also, in Jillian's materials that came with body revolution, the journal has a section that says, "bonus cardio" - add in extra cardio.

Hhmmm...that's not what I was told by a representative for the program. I have the contact information for one of the test group folks; I'll reach out directly.

Can you direct me where it notes in the material (other than a spot in the journal) that recommends additional cardio?
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about adding additional cardio either. I know that Jillian said on twitter not to add more than 5 extra 30 minute sessions per week to avoid overtraining. If it was recommended, i feel that there would be something about extra cardio in the literature. There are a lot of us on the forum with varying amounts of weight to lose who are and are not adding in extra cardio and are still seeing results.

I would trust the program as it is written. Do the workouts and follow the meal plan as closely as possible. You may need to weigh out your food to make sure you are eating the appropriate amount of calories.

I hope you don't give up on the program. I'm on Week 6 and I absolutely love it.
  • jennys11
    Options
    In the 90 day journal it says, "bonus cardio" - where you add what you did for bonus cardio that day. It's not there to leave blank, it's there for a reason. If you don't have time to add in cardio, I'm sure the program will work as is, Jillian did create it to kick our butts. As Jillian says, the more you do, the more results you'll see.

I was emailing Mindy and another one of the girls, (I forgot her name, oops). Through email, they both told me they added in extra cardio 4-5x a week. I asked specifically to know what I was getting myself into before I purchase BR. Mindy said she did the workout of the day and then added in cardio 4-5x a week. Even if you can't get to the gym, go for a jog outside, or whatever it is you like to do, doing the cardio dvd as an extra cardio counts too. I suggest just doing what you love. I enjoy hiking a few miles with my dog, so I've been doing that for my bonus cardio.

If the program is working as is for you, then just do that. I love doing extra cardio because I feel like the 30 minutes a day is not enough for me personally. I feel like the extra cardio gives me a boost, makes my heart stronger and healthier, and I will see results quicker.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 6 for me and so far my burn for each workout is UNDER 150 calories. I am wearing a HRM.

I feel that 30 minutes of exercise (and the low cal. burn) isn't enough FOR ME, so I'm doing the DVDs in addition to 60 minute gym classes nearly every day.

These classes aren't super athletic but I can burn an additional 250-300 cals for the day. Plus, I enjoy them and why should I deny myself something that's so good for me. Some younger folks are burning a LOT more than that each day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think it's a problem if you want more exercise time (and calorie burn) to do an activity you enjoy in addition to JM.
  • rosied915
    Options
    In the 90 day journal it says, "bonus cardio" - where you add what you did for bonus cardio that day. It's not there to leave blank, it's there for a reason. If you don't have time to add in cardio, I'm sure the program will work as is, Jillian did create it to kick our butts. As Jillian says, the more you do, the more results you'll see.

I was emailing Mindy and another one of the girls, (I forgot her name, oops). Through email, they both told me they added in extra cardio 4-5x a week. I asked specifically to know what I was getting myself into before I purchase BR. Mindy said she did the workout of the day and then added in cardio 4-5x a week. Even if you can't get to the gym, go for a jog outside, or whatever it is you like to do, doing the cardio dvd as an extra cardio counts too. I suggest just doing what you love. I enjoy hiking a few miles with my dog, so I've been doing that for my bonus cardio.

If the program is working as is for you, then just do that. I love doing extra cardio because I feel like the 30 minutes a day is not enough for me personally. I feel like the extra cardio gives me a boost, makes my heart stronger and healthier, and I will see results quicker.

OK, just saw this.....DITTO!!!
  • jennys11
    Options
    Today is Day 6 for me and so far my burn for each workout is UNDER 150 calories. I am wearing a HRM.

I feel that 30 minutes of exercise (and the low cal. burn) isn't enough FOR ME, so I'm doing the DVDs in addition to 60 minute gym classes nearly every day.

These classes aren't super athletic but I can burn an additional 250-300 cals for the day. Plus, I enjoy them and why should I deny myself something that's so good for me. Some younger folks are burning a LOT more than that each day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think it's a problem if you want more exercise time (and calorie burn) to do an activity you enjoy in addition to JM.

Exactly! That's what I was saying too! I'm glad you agree. Way to go with all your extra gym classes. I agree that BR doesn't burn a lot of calories, which is why I need more as well.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think the 1200 calories is too little for you perhaps and that is why your body won't let go of pounds. Try 1400. I think it might help.
  • theredcliche
    Options
    It's two weeks in an I'm so pissed off, I've been losing and gaining the same pound since I started. I ate clean organic food and never ate more than 1200 cal, Today I binged on everything I saw croissant, doughnut, chocolate, bread bread and bread I felt awful and almost cried, I've been struggling with my weight since 2010 I was 240 I lost 95 pounds in just 7 months on atkins diet, and then struggled with binge eating in 2011 and gained 20 pounds just because I always tell myself I'll diet tomorrow and tomorrow never comes until I decided to count calories. calories never worked for me and I'd lose If I killed myself in the gym, the problem now is that I can't ever go back to atkins, Its the cause that made me binge and i'm worried that body revolution will not work for me if I don't add extra cardio?

I'm afraid that I will damage my body If i did her dvd I would probably burn 200 cal + cardio 500 cal and I'm only eating 1200 thats 500 net cal a day

I'm asking because some one in twitter ask her" Is it good to run in conjunction with the workout routine in Body Revolution??" and she said " you can but don't overdue it. Body Rev is designed perfectly to avoid overtraining. No more than 5 extra 30 min cardio sessions"

what do you all think?

Sorry I brought up my life story :)

i was doing 1200 calories daily and obsessed with food. i upped to 1150 net calories (so i usually eat around 1400 on workout days) and i feel much better and more satisfied. i also tried to increase protein to keep me fuller longer. i trust the program as written except for the 1200 cals but i try to stick to jillian's calorie limit for each meal, just incorporating another snack if needed (but totally keeping my cals under my new 1150 net limit)
  • theredcliche
    Options

just asking because i'm curious, but when you add in extra cardio, what do you do about your cals? i know you're following the 250 breakfast, 400 lunch and dinner, 150 snack calorie plan, but if you burn excess cals, do you eat them or just count it as a bonus burn? i do extra cardio sometimes when i eat too much but it all balances out to around 1000-1150 net calories...
  • gerbies
    Options

just asking because i'm curious, but when you add in extra cardio, what do you do about your cals? i know you're following the 250 breakfast, 400 lunch and dinner, 150 snack calorie plan, but if you burn excess cals, do you eat them or just count it as a bonus burn? i do extra cardio sometimes when i eat too much but it all balances out to around 1000-1150 net calories...

This seems to be a more prudent approach for sustaining results...totally agree!
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I'm curious too. I have zumba class 2x per week where I burn an average 750 calories each, plus I do app 30 additional cardio couple days per week. I stick as close to the 1200 as I can. I have been wondering about thics andsa w the.ifo o n twitter too.
  • nyyca
    nyyca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall that in one of her recent podcasts JM answered this question. She said you can add cardio but not strength training. She said you dont have to add it but you can for "extra credit".
  • theredcliche
    Options
    So, I was reading the comments on Jillian's FB about Jax's before and after picture she just posted. Anyway, Jax replied on there so I messaged her and asked if she did extra cardio (and talked about me adding more) during Body Revolution. This is what she said: "I was doing the extra cardio from the start actually- I'm kind of a workout junkie (which is why I started the blog two years ago) and I need that hour workout personally. But I think you'll be fine adding it in. Phase 2 gets challenging and phase 3 is really challenging. I think I kept saying, 'what the hell is wrong with her' after learning each move haha "

Personally, I'm a little annoyed that the "test group" wasn't restricted to certain workout schedules or # of workouts per week. I know they were a test group, but when you do an experiment to prove something, you keep variables constant across the board. Based on the program, you would think they did the kickstart, then the regular workout for 90 days, but that wasn't the case. I'm not annoyed at anyone for working out more, I'm just annoyed that this isn't talked about. "Individual results may vary......" yeah by how much time you spend working out. Of course someone who works out double the time SHOULD lose more weight than someone who is only doing one workout a day. Ok..... rant over.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So, I was reading the comments on Jillian's FB about Jax's before and after picture she just posted. Anyway, Jax replied on there so I messaged her and asked if she did extra cardio (and talked about me adding more) during Body Revolution. This is what she said: "I was doing the extra cardio from the start actually- I'm kind of a workout junkie (which is why I started the blog two years ago) and I need that hour workout personally. But I think you'll be fine adding it in. Phase 2 gets challenging and phase 3 is really challenging. I think I kept saying, 'what the hell is wrong with her' after learning each move haha "

Personally, I'm a little annoyed that the "test group" wasn't restricted to certain workout schedules or # of workouts per week. I know they were a test group, but when you do an experiment to prove something, you keep variables constant across the board. Based on the program, you would think they did the kickstart, then the regular workout for 90 days, but that wasn't the case. I'm not annoyed at anyone for working out more, I'm just annoyed that this isn't talked about. "Individual results may vary......" yeah by how much time you spend working out. Of course someone who works out double the time SHOULD lose more weight than someone who is only doing one workout a day. Ok..... rant over.

I agree, they should have been doing just her workout and eating following her plan. But since it is Jillian and I know these workouts alone will get results I'm not too bothered by it. I'm not expecting the same results as the people in the ads, just like when I buy make up :)
  • gerbies
    Options

That makes me a little cranky, too. I had asked the question on-line and was told the test group generally just followed the program, but I didn't get the answer from someone in the test group. Thank you for reaching out to her. But I wonder what that means...did she do another one of JM's workouts or did she go to the gym, a class, etc.? From my perspective, I want to do that best job that I can do, not ncessarily kill myself to try and mirror those results; if it doesn't happen by following the program, that's o.k.. But, it does make me cranky that it's not discussed/disclosed.

I know I'll get results from just following the program and eating well, but I have a good chunk of weight left to lose (about 80 lbs), so it's easier to lose larger weight amounts than someone who's closer to goal. Either way, I love the workouts and am feeling better, so I'm in :).
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Why are you only getting a Net of 500 calories per day? That's definitely not going to help you lose weight... and it's not at all good for your health or body. You need to eat more - for a lot of reasons. Sounds like you binge beause you feel that you starve yourself for no reason (no results). But, you're not getting any results BECAUSE you're starving yourself.

Don't Net under 1200. If you eat 1200 calories and go burn another 500 - eat back those 500! You'll find that you're getting plenty of food, don't feel like binging because you don't feel like you're sacrificing AND you'll lose weight.
  • rosied915
    Options

Hmmmm.....now isn't THAT interesting?? I believe I might be a little annoyed myself about this. I mean if it's being advertised as the ONLY workout you'll need for 90 days to get the results seen, then it should be that way.:noway:

When I see the models that Jillian uses for all of her DVDs, I assume that they are workout fanatics and that they are being used to motivate and inspire the rest of us poor, fat slobs to keep going!!:ohwell:

But don't tell me that BR is the ONLY workout being done to get the results shown when it's an outright lie. 2 of the girls in BR are from 30 Day Shred and they were already in shape back then.:huh:

I still love all of Jillian's series that I've done and will continue with BR to the finish~ although I guarantee my "after" pic will look NOTHING like the models:laugh: