Exercise

Options
What types of exercise are you all doing for this challenge or everyday for that matter? Does anyone have any really good exercise DVD's that have been working for you?

I am walking at least two miles per day and plan to up that to between 3-5 since the weather is warmer. Been doing a Tae Bo DVD that is Tae Bo Power. Not very good at it yet and I can only do 1/2 hour of the hour but have only been doing it for about 4 days over the last couple of weeks. can feel it a bit in my arms today though.

So what are your exercise plans?

Replies

• jenifer315
    Options
    I do zumba about 4 times a week. I have a DVD Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown that I like. I just started it called Yoga meltdown.
  • BarbaraJeanSmith
    Options
    I have heard that Zumba gives you quite the work out. Have not tried it yet though. Will have to see if there is a class in my area.
  • Lucy_Monroe
    Lucy_Monroe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good for you on the walking, Barb! That's great! You are really consistent with it too - I've noticed. :)

As I'm sure you'll hear time and again throughout this challenge, I'm a huge fan of Denise Austin. She does workouts that fit your schedule, target toners, etc. I find I like to do a 20 min video of circuit training and then another 10-30 minutes of other exercises with her - target toning, dance sculpt, etc. My favorite videos right now are her Boot Camp and Target Toners DVDs. I also love water aerobics and try to mix up my exercise so I don't get bored. :)

Hugs!
  • jenifer315
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun. It feels like going to a dance party instead of working out to me. They say you burn between 500 and 900 calories a class.
  • valeriecozart
    Options
    I love Zumba! I actually talked to my doctor about this today and he told me that the best exercise is walking and core strengthening. Start slowly and build up if you aren't used to it. I have some of Jillian Michaels DVDs, though not the Yoga one, so I know she focuses on strength and is really good. I did try Bob Harper's Yoga DVD and it was good...but so painful for me. I'm not as flexible as I'd like.

My exercise plan is to focus on 3 days of aerobics - like walking - and 2 days of strength training and walkinng at a minimum. I'm trying to find a healthy balance.
  • mstefanopoulos
    Options
    If anyone needs an exercise accountability buddy in the West LA area, let me know. I can meet up for walking or exercise videos. For me, I tend to stick to my schedule when I'm meeting up with someone.
  • BronwenEvans
    Options
    I'm restricted a bit by my back injury, but I try to walk at least four times a week. And it's up and down hills - big hills. Wellington is very hilly. So it really gets my heart rate up. I'd be screwed if Wellington was flat.

I also use my medicine ball and some weights and rubber bands for muscle maintenance. Very important as we age as muscle leaves before fat!

I remember when I was younger and took up teaching aerobic. I lost three dress sizes but went up 3 kilo’s – muscle weighs more than fat. That’s why measuring yourself is also important. Even if you don’t lose much weight, if you tone up the inches will fall….
  • Hockeyvamp
    Options
    I have just been doing basic stuff. I have a bad shoulder and even zumba enflames the pain. Extra walking to the mail and uptown almost every day, trying to do some more physical housework, etc. I have done some work on the elliptical and the ab chair we have and a little bit on the tread mill but I cannot do these every day because although it doesn't directly affect my shoulder I feel it the next day. When I have to take my son for his hockey practices and work out with his trainer (I wish I could afford him for myself but he is a hockey specific trainer) I walk laps at the arena and do the stairs.
  • DebraParmley
    Options
    I plan to change things up to a certain extent as we go through the 12 weeks. . I am doing aquatic zoomba on Tue and Sat mornings. (This is my favorite because I love to dance and love the water.) Deep water aerobics on Wed and Thur mornings. (Just added those.) For the days of the month when that is not a good fit for me, I will walk and get more yoga in.

Starting this week, on Tue nights I will be in rehearsals for Shimmy Mob, so I will be belly dancing. Shimmy Mob is an international program which raises funds for local women's shelters. I'll talk about that more later on my blog. I am the team leader for Shimmy Mob Memphis and we perform May 12th.

This means that every week until our performance I'll have the Tue rehearsals.

It will replace the Tue night yoga class I've been going to, but I can go to the Thur. night yoga.

(And of course I can dance or do yoga in my dance room here at home. I have mirrors on two walls and used to practice there and give private lessons. The thing is, I like the social interaction of classes after or before I long day of writing. It gets me out of the house and laughing.)
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the pool. I have a number of exercises I learned in class. I also use rehab exercises I was given after my transplant. They are made for land but the water gives me more resistance. I use water weights and usually walk at least 45 min. I keeping upping the workout by adding reps and using heavier weights. My goal is 90 min 5 times a week.

My knees keep me from doing the aerobic classes. I'm trusting that as I lose weight, I can participate in the classes again. Oh, I have a water crunch that I do, I'm up to 75 of those. They help so much with my stomach muscles.:flowerforyou:
  • lucy0326
    lucy0326 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This past week has been crazy for me and its been hard enough just logging on and adding what I've been eating. Thankfully starting tomorrow I start going to the gym again. I walk for at least an hour when at the gym and do some other weights and techniques a trainer showed me, but when at home I have a DVD that I love to do. I dont remember the name right now but it does 15 min. cardio, 15 min. strengthening and 15 min abs. I try to do 15 min each day depending on how crazy my day is and how much I can fit in. Zumba is also something I loved to do. I did it for a month last summer while on vacation and I loved it. It was fun and it gave me a work out. The instructor was an old friend of my and boy did he make me hurt the next day. I like zumba because you're having fun and not even noticing that your doing something that is considered exercise