Tricep push ups....

Options
becka63
becka63 Posts: 712 Member
Aaarrrggghhhhhh!!!

Is there any way of doing these that doesn't result in my collapsing into an undignified heap on the floor? Even when I'm on my knees I can only descend about 3 inches!

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Keep at it!!!! And Keep doing them the best you can the best part of not being able to do them right now is that you will be surprised and excited when you can.
    Good luck and if you need a buddie feel free to friend me. I am on day 5 of Chalean and it is kicking my butt but it is making me stronger.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    the answer is NO! I loathe push up (all of them) and still can not do them on my toes. I am such a wimp
  • Callidreamr
    Callidreamr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't like push ups, especially the tricep kind! What I do like about pushing myself to do them is the fact that I can feel my strength increase everytime I do them. Keep it up and don't get discouraged!
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    It was my first time with them today. On my knees I had trouble with them, and bad words were a-flying. I ended up on my face at one point, but I'm hoping that as the weeks go by, I'll be able to do more and more, and eventually, get on my toes!
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one, lol!
  • bashang83
    Options
    i can't do tricep push-ups even i'm on my knees..
    thought i was the only one who can't do it. :D
  • becka63
    Options
    You have no idea how supportive I'm finding this! Really did think I was the only one who was struggling! Embarrassing: I do this workout in our lounge with the windows open. Next door are having building work done...lucky builders. 3 days a week they get to hear me grunt and groan! And swear during the tri push ups!
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I've completed the program and can still only do 2 on toes. The rest on knees! Hard stuff!

Angie
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    keeping your elbows really in makes a huge difference too (she meantions it in one dvd forget which one) I could not do them at all before, now I can do 4 on my toes!!! Then I go to my knees and cry a little ;) I am in week 2 of Lean Phase and am amazed I can also do tricep dips which I could NEVER do before...but I still cry a little every time (just kidding, but I kinda want to ;))
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    For some reason I find the tricep dips way easier than the tricep push ups. weird!

Angie
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    keeping your elbows really in makes a huge difference too (she meantions it in one dvd forget which one) I could not do them at all before, now I can do 4 on my toes!!! Then I go to my knees and cry a little ;) I am in week 2 of Lean Phase and am amazed I can also do tricep dips which I could NEVER do before...but I still cry a little every time (just kidding, but I kinda want to ;))

Show off - -hehe!
  • becka63
    Options
    For some reason I find the tricep dips way easier than the tricep push ups. weird!

Angie

This is me too!

Well, tomorrow's another day and another round of them....face: meet floor. Arms: don't bother trying to lift me up!
  • clowermom
    clowermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to do the tricep push ups either. It was SOOO frustrating! It was the only exercise I wasn't able to do. I just completed Week 2, BC2 yesterday and was expressing my frustration to my husband about not being able to do these particular push ups.

I asked him if he could do them (knowing full well he could!). He dropped to the floor, did a couple - easy as pie. When I showed him how I COULDN'T do them, he said, "Oh, that's why! Your arms are still too far apart! Move them closer together." So I did. And what do you know! I could do 3 good ones -- on my toes -- before my arms gave out! I am so flipping excited about this! (And I'm also a little mad that I'm just now figuring it out.)

I *thought* my arms were in close, but apparently they weren't close enough! I never thought I would be this excited over an evil exercise! I can't wait for next week's BC2!! Bring on the tricep push ups!! Whoop whoop!
  • jenachip
    jenachip Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have done 1, only 1, and I am on week 4 of Lean. I am going to try to bring my arms in some, maybe they are still too far apart? I find them VERY difficult, borderline impossible!
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    I really stink at them. I will try to bring my arms in closer. I have gotten much better at normal push up, but the tricep ones seem impossible. I can do the dips and have increased my weight on tricep exercises. If I ever can do a full set of the tricep push ups, I really and truly will have a party!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last week of the Lean phase and after doing this whole program, I still struggle with the tricep pushups. Definitely keep at it. We can do this!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I'm on my last week of the Lean phase and after doing this whole program, I still struggle with the tricep pushups. Definitely keep at it. We can do this!

To all who are in their lean phase or almost done what is the highest weight you have lifted so far? I am about to begin my push phase and was wondering if I needed to go get some higher weights.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have been trying to do tricep pushups for about 2 months, in various Jillian Michaels DVDs, and have never managed to do them without falling to the ground until my CLX workout yesterday! I started the program on Wednesday and just yesterday was my first shot at Burn Circuit 2 with the tricep pushups at the end - I was shocked and amazed to be able to do several of them without falling to the ground! (on my knees, but still a big accomplishment for me!).