Anyone with serious back problems?

Options
Hi everybody! So after reading so many threads about eating more, heavy lifting, less cardio etc I have become very intrigued. I bought New Rules of Lifting for Women and just finished reading it. As I'm sure every newbie feels, I feel intimidated and like "Can I really do this?" But for a different reason...

I have Degenerative Disc Disease which wears away at the discs in between my vertebrae and causes them to herniate. Right now I have 6 herniated discs... 3 upper, 3 lower.

I know I need to consult some doctors before embarking on this program to see if heavy lifting is even a possibility for me. Especially given the fact I've been told in the past not to lift more than 30 pounds to prevent further herniations.

However, the reason I feel some hope is I've been doing Curves for a year, but recently started the Curves Smart program... a little tag that tracks your progress electronically and pushes you to work harder at every session. And I REALLY AM. I am burning 600 calories per session because I'm working those machiines so hard. I am feeling HEALTHIER, STRONGER and having LESS BACK PAIN than ever before!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see and feel muscle definition all over.... and I am especially pleased that I can feel stronger muscles developing along my spine which means more stability for my poor vertebrae and discs!!

I am 28 years old and otherwise in great health other than my back. I expect most people will suggest see a doctor first... and I DEFINITELY WILL.... but I guess I am wondering if there is anyone else out there with back problems who has managed to get through this program. Would just like to hear about experiences, adaptations, etc. I think I would probably work with a trainer at my gym instead of on my own so I can be more precise with form and precautions for my back.... but even so I don't know how experienced even a personal trainer may be with my type of back issues.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any input! :) I'm glad I found this group!!

Replies

• amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I don't have the back problems you have, but I do have severe scoliosis. I was terrified of trying the deadlifts because of this, but I am very happy to say that my back is adjusting nicely.

Again, my back issues are MUCH different than yours, but throughout my weight loss journey I have found that the muscles get very sore when pushed in a new way, but I just use the heating pad and ibuprofin as needed - if I keep doing the exercises, my back adjusts. The deadlifts are taking a little longer to get used to, but I'm ok with that. I have taught myself that it's ok to push a bit - it will get better!

I am very anxious to see how my curve is doing - I am trying to avoid surgery (a 16+ hour one, no less) so I take my back health very seriously.

Let us know what the dr says - I'm curious to hear it!
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know you said you'd see a doctor but I'll state it anyways lol. Talk to your doctor first. :happy:

Disclaimer over.

I ruptured a disk at 20 falling down a flight of stairs. Due to having military insurance I was denied xrays for months and ended up with slight nerve damage and a removal/non fusion of the L5 disk. I'm not supposed to lift more then 20 pounds and that was after an 18 month recovery period. It's 9 years later and I'm just starting to lift but my doctor was of the mind "start slow, take it easy, and listen to your body". I lift very light compared to most. I"m squating bar weight at week 4 Stage 1 (started out using a standard bar so I'm happy moving on to the oympic lol) and deadlifting in the 40's. But slow and steady is key. I'm seeing improvement in my core in slow increments but I"m not out to be the next Ms. Olympia just a stronger me.

If you get your doctor on board, just start slow.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have exactly what you have (Degenerative Disc Disease) and have serious problems in my lower back, especially.

I've realized I can't do a deadlift at ALL. It kills my back. I'm starting tomorrow on my weight lifting (went today just to get the lay of the land). I'll just have to substitute some other exercise. The rest of them I think I can do (so far, the beginning ones, anyway!)

Good luck to you! I guess we will both just have to substitue where we can.
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all SO MUCH for the responses!! I can see it varies by person and definitely need to talk to my doctor, but this is encouraging... and that even if I can't do as much weight, or can't so certain exercises, I can still do this.... :)

I will definitely come back to this thread and post when I get to talk to Dr (have to wait til we have insurance again next month) and my experience when I get started. Thanks so much!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    I think you also need to invest in a personal trainer who is familiar with back injuries - to help SHOW you how to do the moves with YOUR body - and to alter them, if necessary - to suit YOUR body.

I have an old lower back injury and have been moving through this program, gingerly watching what is happening to my back. It *is* getting stronger - stronger than I ever thought I could make it, actually. I still work with my personal trainer at the beginning of every stage, so that I am comfortable with the moves and comfortable that MY body can handle the motions.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy NROL4W as much as I do!
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you, great suggestion!