CARB CREEP CHALLENGE

Options
CARB CREEP CHALLENGE

My main problem is carb creep caused by eating healthy foods which then leads to eating junk food. Consequently, I have decided to start a 6 week challenge to combat carb creep.

Some people believe that new habits can be developed in 21 to 30 days. I believe new habits take at least 6 weeks to be permanent. This is not about “one cheat will ruin the 6 week challenge.” But rather, if I do cheat, can I get back on track immediately and will the 6 week period need to be extended to permanently change the desired eating habit.

Today is Day 1.

My goal today is Atkins induction to start things out slowly. I first need to get the carb cravings stopped before I can work on stopping carb creep. This whole process might take me more than 6 weeks, but I have to start somewhere.

If anyone is interested in the goal of changing an eating habit, please join me at any time.

Connie

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I understand the challenge. Are you trying the Atkins diet for 6 weeks?
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie

I've been doing Induction for 25 days now. I am 62 and have seen a loss in both pounds and inches. I'm also doing 30 day shred and other exercise. the biggest problem I have had is a lack of energy in the first week. I am a regular exerciser so that was different for me.
    For your six weeks you will be facing the holidays. Have you decided how to handle that. For me I had two planned social events where I knew that low-carb would not be an option. I decided to just go with the flow rather than cancel my fun. It didn't seem to bother my progress.
    If you have done Atkins in the past but haven't looked at the new book you might want to pop over to atkins .com. Two things that have changed is that your protein amounts are suggested at 4-6 oz per meal, instead of unlimited. The other thing is calories are 1500 or so.
    It is pretty easy to stay in the carb range eating fresh veggies for your carbs and counting net carbs not total carbs. On my food diary I set carbs and fiber so I can count net carbs. I also weigh and measure everything right now until I can get a better idea of serving size.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing. I found that after the first week my carb cravings were gone and I have to really be careful to make sure I eat enough calories!!
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Connorene
    Connorene Posts: 68
    Options
    I probably will do Atkins for 6 weeks because Atkins allows a lot of flexibility as long as I count carbs. Counting carbs is the one thing that I plan on being very careful about. Since I am keeping a diary, I hope to see what I am eating that causes the first signs of carb cravings which is one step away from carb creep. Is it the type of foods I am eating or is it the total carbs in one day or is it a combination of the two? I don't know.

So a part of this challenge is trying to find out why and how I am getting hooked into carb creep.
  • Connorene
    Options
    Mountainmare,

Congratulations for being on Atkins induction for 25 days.

I first started Atkins January 2010 and lost a lot of weight. I’m definitely an Atkins veteran, but just can’t seem to stop falling off the wagon. I have looked at the information on the Atkins website and in the new book, but I prefer Atkins 2003.

I am not certain what holidays your talking about, but I have not had any problems in the past from friends or family. This is all my fault, and I can’t blame anyone.

I am also keeping track of net carbs. We had the same idea.

Getting enough protein and fat is not a problem for me because I’m a big meat eater. Also, I’m not buying into that whole calorie thing - my stomach/body is not a calorimeter.

Connie
  • mountainmare
    Options
    For me Easter means Bunny Cake. I make a cake in the shape of a bunny, white with coconut. I am still planning on bunny cake, I will just have one piece instead if more bunny cake in the next days. Fortunately I don't like candy...but I do love eggs which are ok for low carb.
    I find that this time I am losing more inches than before because I am really looking at a balanced approach with alot more veggies than when I did Atkins in the past.
    As for calories--I have to count to eat enough of them, I'm usually low.
  • Connorene
    Options
    Bunny Cake - that's cute!

Your exercising is also helping you to lose inches.
  • Connorene
    Options
    Day 2

I am allergic to dairy and gluten. I get a runny nose from dairy and a bloated stomach from grains. The symptoms are mild which means I am NOT deterred from eating them.

I have a “real thing” for ice cream. And as Atkins said, if you are allergic to something, you’ll want to eat it. I have also heard that if a person craves ice cream, they have a fat deficiency. But, I don’t think that is my problem anymore.

One of the things I will need to monitor during these 6 six weeks is my carb carvings when I eat dairy and gluten products. However, I do plan on restricting them considerably.

Connie
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Peeps. Since I was a kid that has been what Easter eating was about. Somehow those diet peeps just aren't as good.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, Connie!! I am also trying to keep the Carb Creep away. I did not do so well over the weekend. Generally I do pretty well. I have passed the induction phase and still in the losing phase. Lost 3 lbs last week. Lost a total of 20 lbs and almost 20 inches in 6 months.
    That being said....I am here to support you if you like. Friend me if you want. I do have some easy low-carb recipes I can share if you want. Just let me know.

Hugs~
    Rena
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For me Easter means Bunny Cake. I make a cake in the shape of a bunny, white with coconut. I am still planning on bunny cake, I will just have one piece instead if more bunny cake in the next days. Fortunately I don't like candy...but I do love eggs which are ok for low carb.
    I find that this time I am losing more inches than before because I am really looking at a balanced approach with alot more veggies than when I did Atkins in the past.
    As for calories--I have to count to eat enough of them, I'm usually low.

We do that too!!!!!
  • zumbamommaof4
    zumbamommaof4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Day 2

I am allergic to dairy and gluten. I get a runny nose from dairy and a bloated stomach from grains. The symptoms are mild which means I am NOT deterred from eating them.

I have a “real thing” for ice cream. And as Atkins said, if you are allergic to something, you’ll want to eat it. I have also heard that if a person craves ice cream, they have a fat deficiency. But, I don’t think that is my problem anymore.

One of the things I will need to monitor during these 6 six weeks is my carb carvings when I eat dairy and gluten products. However, I do plan on restricting them considerably.

Connie
  • superstankazz
    Options
    CARB CREEP CHALLENGE

My main problem is carb creep caused by eating healthy foods which then leads to eating junk food. Consequently, I have decided to start a 6 week challenge to combat carb creep.

Some people believe that new habits can be developed in 21 to 30 days. I believe new habits take at least 6 weeks to be permanent. This is not about “one cheat will ruin the 6 week challenge.” But rather, if I do cheat, can I get back on track immediately and will the 6 week period need to be extended to permanently change the desired eating habit.

Today is Day 1.

My goal today is Atkins induction to start things out slowly. I first need to get the carb cravings stopped before I can work on stopping carb creep. This whole process might take me more than 6 weeks, but I have to start somewhere.

If anyone is interested in the goal of changing an eating habit, please join me at any time.

Connie
    Good luck! You've certainly got the right attitude:wink:
    I am on day 8 of Atkins induction, I have been doing a good job at keeping my carbs under 20 a day, I haven't gone over, and my ketostix are turning dark purple but I am not losing any weight! I'm going to keep trying and stick with it! Changing an eating habit sounds like a fabulous idea! I am a caffeine addict! I need to ween myself off.
    You can add me as a friend if you like, I need more low carbers for support!
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Peeps. Since I was a kid that has been what Easter eating was about. Somehow those diet peeps just aren't as good.
    LOVE your profile pic! I have spoiled rotten dachshund of my own. Yours are adorable!!!
  • Connorene
    Options
    Day 2 is finished.

I had 16 net carbs. While I can't say that everything I ate today was on Atkins "induction," I did keep my carbs low.

It usually takes me 4-5 days to get into ketosis and past the tiredness.

The thing that I am proud of is that I resisted coffee today at work. Last week, I was starting to get back into the coffee habit. For about the last 20 years, I have not been able to lose weight if I drink coffee everyday. So, I am very happy that I got past it today.

Connie
  • Connorene
    Options
    I learned something new today. Black pepper has carbs in it and garlic powder has a lot more carbs than I thought. Both of them have 2 carbs per 1 teaspoon.

This means that yesterday I had 18 net carbs instead of 16. Maybe other carbs are sneaking into my diet that I'm missing. I guess I better be more careful.
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    :( that sucks. i never researched garlic powder. it makes every dish better. ill have to start watching that too!
  • mountainmare
    Options
    Connie--are you measuring? A teaspoon is alot of pepper per serving so maybe it is not as bad as you think. Remember that you are allowed to have spices etc on induction.
    I had one basil leaf on my egglant the other day--I didn't count it.
    You are doing great by cutting out the bad carbs, give yourself a pat on the back!!!
  • Connorene
    Options
    I haven't measured them since I found out about the carbs. But, I estimated that I used around 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper - that adds up to 2 carbs.
    But next time, I will definitely measure them to find out for certain.
  • Connorene
    Options
    Day 3 is done.
    Net carbs: 12.
    It's too early to see ketones yet because I'm eating too many carbs, but maybe tomorrow.

Resisting the coffee wasn't a problem today. I mention coffee because I think it is one of those things that cause carb creep. Coffee can make me restless or nervous, and I'm a stress eater.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Connie! You are doing great! You are definitely on the right road. The road to success! I hope to message you a few recipes later today. Life has just been crazy lately. That is what happens when you have a teenager and a pre-teen and they are involved in various activities, plus working full-time. Have a great day!! TTYL Hugs~