calorie burn

Options
cookieta76
cookieta76 Posts: 91 Member
Hi all...
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I don't feel like my calorie burn (as recorded by my HRM) is accurate. It seems higher than everyone else's. I did 30DS before this, and my burn was always averaging around all of my friends that were doing it too.

I am 5'3, weighing just under 117. I don't really need to lose pounds, I just really need to firm up (pregnancy belly!). I want lean flexible muscles. When I do these programs, I use the highest weights I can and don't really take the breaks in between moves that Jillian does to talk or explain the next move. I breath hard, sweat hard and always try and do the harder versions that she shows us.

Is my HRM still wrong? It's a Sportline, was around $100 and has a chest strap. I'm the only one that uses it and it's programmed for me only.

I just did phase 1, workout 3 for the first time and burned 341.

I don't want to overestimate - so far I've had no problems losing weight either.

What do you all think?
Thanks,
Tanya

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Well, you burned a LOT more than I did on Workout 3! I just did it for the first time today and only burned 265 calories and I felt like I was working hard!!

If you're using the highest weights you can and constantly moving (not taking the very short breaks she takes between moves) than your burn is probably accurate.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten to Workout 3, but for Workouts 1, 2 & Cardio 1, my burn was 150 at the MOST!

I am 5'0", 205 pds., age 51 and I work as hard as I can.
  • mawmawandlovingit
    mawmawandlovingit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My calorie burn is typically low, the highest so far between workouts 1-4 has been 165. I work very hard during these workouts so I guess some are able to burn more than others! Really sucks for me though, I have to workout twice as hard to burn big numbers :(
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in the 280 - 310 range with a HRM. 5'1" - 151 pounds.
  • cookieta76
    Options
    It looks like I'm starting to see more people in the higher 200s/around 300, so that makes me feel a little better.
    Thanks for your input! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't really overestimating, especially when it comes to eating and eating back calories. I try to be close to or a bit under my calorie goal. If I'm overestimating calories burned, that means I may be consistantly going over every day. I think I'm OK though. Thanks!

Tanya
  • lalfaro01
    lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 165 pounds and usually burn 330+ and use 5 to 8 pound bells and try to bust my butt!
  • lalfaro01
    lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern as you, though. So I just started eating 1200 calories flat and not eating back any of the ones I exercise (like fitnesspal tells you to do). So far that's actually helped with the weight loss.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie burn all has to do with how fast your heart beats when you are working out. Some people are just prone to faster heart rates when working out and therefore have a higher burn. I am 5'4" and at 166 right now and I burned an average of 325-345 during workout 3. The first day I did that workout I actually burned 428 calories because it was such a big jump for me in terms of how hard it was.

I would say just make sure that when you do weigh ins you update the weight in your HRM so that it registers the correct weight. If you are doing this, then your body may just burn high calories during workouts.
  • cookieta76
    Options
    I think your calorie burn all has to do with how fast your heart beats when you are working out. Some people are just prone to faster heart rates when working out and therefore have a higher burn. I am 5'4" and at 166 right now and I burned an average of 325-345 during workout 3. The first day I did that workout I actually burned 428 calories because it was such a big jump for me in terms of how hard it was.

I would say just make sure that when you do weigh ins you update the weight in your HRM so that it registers the correct weight. If you are doing this, then your body may just burn high calories during workouts.

Thanks for this - makes sense. :smile:
  • cookieta76
    Options
    OK not sure if anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but I checked my HRM before doing phase 1 workout 4 and needed to lower my weight (I never changed it the last couple of times I had a loss). So the calorie burn was even higher. I haven't weighed myself since I started, so at the end of the week, I'll have a better idea if I need to make any adjustments.

Or am I over-thinking it?
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you cleaned your HRM lately? My polar says to put my chest strap in the washing machine on the regular.It can affect your results it reports. I have only burned in the high 200's doing RI30 all sessions. I'm 5 '9' 177
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have you cleaned your HRM lately? My polar says to put my chest strap in the washing machine on the regular.It can affect your results it reports. I have only burned in the high 200's doing RI30 all sessions. I'm 5 '9' 177

Same suggestion from me. Make sure that your chest band is clean (I was mine on Sunday's which is my off day). If you clean it, keep your and keep your weight right, then I stick with my previous comment that you might just burn more calories then others. My mother and I are almost the same height and weight yet I burn 50-100 calories more than her on these workouts even though I see she is working just as hard if not harder then I am. I think it all has to do with each individual person.

I have also noticed that if I have to use my inhaler before or during a workout my calories shoot up as well.
  • cookieta76
    Options
    I have not thrown it in the wash yet, I just give it a good wipe and soaking every week. I'll be sure to use the washing machine weekly. Thanks!