What Low Carb Product Do You Recommend?

Options
I, recommend "Fiberfit"

Replies

• 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I ordered fiberfit yesterday to see how much I actually move each day. Just got a treadmill that I intend to use this time around, and I've been trying to walk more. I'm very sedentary so the exercise is very new for me, and I have had some injuries that make it a real challenge for me.

LC products I use to use with success were Mission LC tortillas, but they no longer work for me. I can test my blood sugar 2 hours after eating and it is skyrocketed from the carbs, so I don't know what changed in my body to do this, but I've found that to be the case with other things too.

The ones that still work for me are sara lee 45 cal bread, ricecakes, surprisingly don't raise my blood sugar, they are about 7 carbs per rice cake, and I make sure to have lots of fiber whenever I eat anything with carbs. I have founr the LaTortilla Factory tortilla's do not raise my blood sugar, and the dreamfields pasta also does not raise my blood sugar, so I am able to have some of the same foods just using the different products. I have started to weigh the pasta before cooking though because I don't want to exceed the one serving size. I'm trying to not overdo it on calories just because something is lower in carbs.

I have found that crushed pork rinds with parmesan cheese makes a great "breading" for fish or chicken without raising my blood sugar, too, that was a nice surprise. I tried the famous pork rind stuffing many years ago for thanksgiving and totally bombed, and never tried pork rinds again for anything til trying it for the breading and it worked great, so live and learn.

Sorry this is so long!!
  • Lindac672411
    Options
    Hi 2012newbie: Isn't it amazing how over time our bodies change and we can no longer eat what we use to, with no problem?

That is the great information to know about what you have tried and thanks for the breading recipe for the breading.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The only low carb stuff I can find is meat and nuts. I just want some chips , cookies or something! I am kinda new to the low carb thing. I am doing a cycle. 3 days low and one day normal and have found that by my "normal" day I feel the need to binge on carbs!!

Any help on finding some products to help me deal with this will be greatly appreciates.
  • Lindac672411
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest to to eat healthy carbs. This is what low carb is about, getting rid of the junk food. By day 3 of low carbing you should not be craving junk carbs. I really don't know what to tell you. Also, you have to watch the nuts, as they are high in carbs too. Everything in moderation is all I can tell you. There is no easy way around low carbing. If it is manufactured, we don't eat it.

You are going to have to find your Critical carb level, where you don't gain weight. Because if you are trying to lose, you are going to have to cut back the "junk foods."

Sorry!
  • jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm going low carb, high protein for adrenal health. I am just starting low carb, too, and am kind of flailing at the moment. I figured MFP would help me at least get a picture of what I'm eating. I don't know a lot of products, but thanks for the input above.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    One of my best discoveries is "cauliflower rice"

Grate 2-3 cauliflower florest (easiest in a food processor) and then either steam of dry fry and you've got a low carb alternative to rice
  • ssharomi
    ssharomi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also cauliflower "mashed potatoes" is great. Cook the cauliflower with onions and garlic, then puree with greek yogurt!!!!! Yummy:)
  • Lindac672411
    Options
    Thanks wightrose/ssharomi for the recipe. I look at califlower everyday in the supermarket and I just didn't know how to incorporate it into my way of eating.

Tip: Take pork rind and spread with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Great snack with Tea or Coffee.
  • Lynne120
    Lynne120 Posts: 74
    Options
    I miss a great cup of sweet creamy coffee. I love my coffee- cold or hot! I thought the sugar free creamers were okay until I read the label. Yikes!! Any suggestion?
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I miss a great cup of sweet creamy coffee. I love my coffee- cold or hot! I thought the sugar free creamers were okay until I read the label. Yikes!! Any suggestion?

HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM!! It's Atkins friendly and sooooo good in coffee! And then you can even add sugar free syrups!! They have all kinds of flavors.....caramel, chocolate, white chocolate, mocha.....I can't remember the name of the place I buy them from. Look it up on amazon? I think the product name starts with a "T"??

Anyway, it makes great, great coffee!!! I like it better this way than with sugar and creamer! More flavorful. Great evening "snack".
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Atkins shakes! I have one for breakfasta nd lunch! In a few days I will cut the lunch one out and eat a low carb meal for lunch, but will keep the morning shake. It has dropped the weight off so fast and I seriously am not hungry until dinnertime. (the first 2 days, yes, I was STARVING, but I got used to it so fast and now just have my 2 shakes (maybe a pc of cheese or pickle with my lunch one if I'm hungry still, but they have lots of protein and keep you full. Just be sure to drink lots of water, so your body doesn't mistake hunger for thirst :)
  • oahugirl
    oahugirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i just tried the Atkins shakes this week too! They are delicious and they've really helped me stay full. Definitely recommend!
  • Lynne120
    Lynne120 Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Do you prefer the ready-made shakes or powder? My body doesn't love processed foods, but the ease of shakes would be great. Also....... after loosing my first 30 pounds (yeah!), I'm a little bored. I would love some different, simple snack ideas.
  • mariuch11
    mariuch11 Posts: 24
    Options
    How long have you been doing low carb? How has it helped you? How much weight do gou lose each week?

I have 150 to lose and after trial and error I found that low carb is the only thing that works for me. I'm interested in learning how others incorporate low carb into thier diets. And I'm looking for friends who are on the same carb restriction as me and with as much weight to lose as me. It's hard at times to stick with it but the support I have here from my friends is amazing ♥
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Hi Mariuch11

I've been doing low-carb on and off for the last 18 months. I lost approx 2 stone last year, then had surgery on my leg and put about a stone back on. I started properly again in Jan which is when I joined MFP, and have lost 19 lbs.
    I feel so much better without carbs, no bloating, or feeling "over full" and I have much more energy.

I don't have as much to lose as you, another 65-70lbs I think, but am happy to share my thoughts, ideas and support with you along the way. Feel free to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • Broken420
    Broken420 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I kill my chip cravings with Utz Salt & Vinegar pork rinds..not everyones cup of tea, but I love them! I also love the Atkin's bars. Some of them are honestly like eating a candy bar without all the sugar and carbs! ;-)
  • Lindac672411
    Options
    Be careful of the sugar alcohols in the bars, as they can sometimes put you on a "stall." Because they taste so good that is why you have to be mindful of them. Eat half and when you want something sweet later, eat the other half.
  • Broken420
    Broken420 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had no problems with the bars as of yet, but I will definitely be wary now. Thanks for the heads up. They were a Godsend when that PMS monster started demanding chocolate! Someone mentioned coffee earlier and I too love sweet, creamy deliciousness that hardly looks like coffee at all but I found that using Splenda Flavors for Coffee in French Vanilla and good old half & half does the trick for me.
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I made kale chips a while back. You wish the kale well to get rid of any dirt on it, then pat dry so it's no longer wet, then using a little olive oil in your hands just wipe the kale leaves with the olive oil and then tear into "chip" size pieces, and bake. Seems like I left them in there until they were nice and crunchy (in the oven). Another thing I do on occasion if I want something crunchy, using Walmart brand deluxe american cheese (I'm sure it would work with any brand, but this is what I use), I cut the slices each into 9 squares, and lay out on parchment paper in the microwave, zap for 1.5-2 minutes (mine get crispy in about 2 minutes) my version
    of Cheez-its. They are good. I've done the same type of things with other veggies in the oven til crispy and used for chips. If I had
    a dehydrator it would probably be even easier to get an assortment of veggie chips. Zucchini chips are good. I know you see so called veggie chips at stores, but they aren't really just veggie chips.
  • Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hmm kale chips? I have only juiced it with a granny smith apple and a peeled whole lemon-and rather like the taste. Never just ate a piece. Funny thing - I have a bunch in the frig wrapped up and still crunchy from last week's shopping. Maybe will try baking them. I love textured foods! Thank u for the idea!