Portion Sizes

Options
Cobehale
Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
Hi all, question for you. As I am transitioning into calorie counting and portion control, I started buying pre packaged frozen food such as Smart Ones by Weight Watchers to bring to work with me. Here is my rationale, the portion sizes would be correct for someone like me trying to lose weight and stay within certain calorie/nutritional parameters. With the intention of "training" my body to be satisfied with the smaller portions. Once smaller portions are the norm for me I would be able to go back to my normal habit of bringing leftovers etc.

I guess my question is - am I deluding myself with this rationale? Will I actually be able to train my mind/body to accept smaller portions? Is the added sodium, preservatives worth the benefit of portion control?

Is any of this making sense? :happy:

Replies

• AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think it's relative - if before, you went out and spent $15 for a lunch that was 2000 mg sodium and 1200 calories, then these most definitely will be a step in the right direction.... both for your body and for your wallet! There is a nice variety of meals to choose from - some healthier than others - so check the labels for numbers that fit your needs. I really like the "Amy's" brand - they're vegetarian (which I am not) but they are SO flavorful.

Personally, I like a "baby step" approach to this changing of lifestyle. I know that if I drastically moved from my old lifestyle to a strict, "clean" lifestyle that I would get overwhelmed and quit. I stopped going out for lunch every day. Now I pack one of these meals for lunch and have had good success. I also take healthy snacks to have between meals (boiled egg, fruit, protein bar, etc.) So far, so good!

11842605.png
  • Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think the key to portion control is the Glycemic Index of foods. There is a book out there that is called the G I Diet. It's not a real diet.... it's a way of life. The Glycemic Index is how fast your body breaks down food. An example is eating a bagel with 150 calories can be absorbed into your body quite quickly. So basically after you eat the bagel and it is absorbed you will feel hungry again. A bowl of oatmeal that is 150 calories will take twice to three times as long to be broken down by your body making you fell fuller longer.
    I understand the pre packaged meal idea for the convenience but they can get expensive for the ones that contain the right combinations of foods.
    I don't follow the G. I. Diet book but I do use it as a reference for the foods that I eat. I really is a helpfull tool. It makes a lot of sense once you have read the book.
    Heres the web site if you are interested in taking a look:

www.gidiet.com

Cheers!
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    buy a lot of tupperware!

All leftovers are measured into individual containers.
    I have cooked a whole pot of chili before and then ladled the whole thing out into 2-3 cup servings before we even ate supper.

This also works well with nuts/almonds. As soon as we get home from the store I portion out everything I can.
    It makes tracking sooo much easier.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    When I did weight watchers in 2008 I ate almost all frozen meals. Its quick and easy. It was a good way to learn what I should be eating size wise. Eventaully I moved on and started making my own meals to save on sodium, and stop eating processed food in general. Today I make almost every sigle think I eat. I cook a few things on the weekend, so each day I just portion out and microwave.

I think the frozen meals are a great way to start. When you get sick of them, move on!
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Tn2009
    Tn2009 Posts: 21
    Options
    I did this one time too...However, it didn't last because I didn't know how to actually cook for myself. Fresh fruits and veggies deli meats and lots of boneless skinless chicken breasts. I have a pan that has a cover. I put the frozen chicken in and put the cover on and in about 20 minutes my chicken is done. NO adding anything to it, it just uses the water from being frozen to cook and at the end I sprinkle a little mrs. dash and viola it's done. I will usually make something with it for the kids like pasta or potato. However, I like t he green giant broccoli and cheese and sweet potatoes. Or I will just make fresh green beans. It's way better for your body and you will be surprised how well you feel by eating this way. It doesn't weigh you down at all.